Help please🤯

Region
Canada
E-bike Forum

Hello hello EBR folks!

I am in such mental struggle to find a bike that will carry me, my weight and I through the hilly parts of Metro Vancouver.

I am constantly reading about e-bikes just to get knowledge of what I want and need.

Unfortunately I am missing that know-how to choose one that is meeting my needs.

In a bike I am looking for:

• Good power and throttle for hills >500w
  • Great range
  • Suspension as I occasionally want to take it onto a trail but this would maybe happen 10% of the time
  • I felt a torque sensor and I am hooked to the feeling
  • A mid drive preferred just for the ability to climb hills better but not opposed to a hub motor if it makes sense
  • Fenders and rack should be included or upgradable
  • A nice shifter
  • Hydraulic brakes
  • 2k$ - 3k$
  • Slim - Medium tires

I think that’s what I want haha!

So far I was eyeing the following bikes and I am unsure if those are good and how the after sales service is when I require help in the case of a case.

Aventon Level 2 - Steph Through

https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-level-step-through-commuter-ebike?variant=42027621482691

Aventon Pace 500.3

But missing quite a few things I want

https://www.aventon.com/products/pace500-3-step-through-ebike?variant=42381879181507

Potentially a Volt Bike maybe?

Bravo Core

https://www.voltbike.com/bravo-core.html

Or one of the Steph through ones

Rize City MD

https://rizebikes.ca/products/city-md

I Originally was thinking of a rad power bike (city 5 plus) but they have just closed my pre sale ticket and didn’t even answer nor take phone calls so the service was so poor that I decided against them.

I appreciate your help for a newbie!

Thanksssss!!!

When you mention "your weight" and "hills" my mind goes straight to mid drive.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, because I do ALL of my own maintenance, absolutely avoiding any reason to be forced into returning it to a dealer for anything (even after the warranty expires), that ability is a huge part of my decision regarding my choices.

If somebody were planning on taking it to a dealer to get any necessary maintenance (or assembly) done, I would advise that many dealers will NOT work on any bike they didn't sell. Point being, a consumer direct bike (like the ones you mention) should be part of your plan only if YOU plan on getting your hands dirty when necessary.

Decision regarding you or a dealer doing the necseeary service work needs to be made early on. It will definitely have a huge impact on your bike of choice. Those sold by a dealer, or everything available. Best of luck!

I have a Rize RX Pro in my stable, one that's been heavily modified to meet my needs/want list exactly. I'm a big guy that uses it in some pretty good size rolling coastal hills, so it's pretty easy for me to justify a bike with this kind of muscle. It's an absolute torque monster that's also very civilized....

And last, often the elephant in the room, I will not give a bike without a throttle a second look. Totally spoiled....

Last edited:
When you mention "your weight" and "hills" my mind goes straight to mid drive.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, because I do ALL of my own maintenance, absolutely avoiding any reason to be forced into returning it to a dealer for anything (even after the warranty expires), that ability is a huge part of my decision regarding my choices.

If somebody were planning on taking it to a dealer to get any necessary maintenance (or assembly) done, I would advise that many dealers will NOT work on any bike they didn't sell. Point being, a consumer direct bike (like the ones you mention) should be part of your plan only if YOU plan on getting your hands dirty when necessary.

Decision regarding you or a dealer doing the necseeary service work needs to be made early on. It will definitely have a huge impact on your bike of choice. Those sold by a dealer, or everything available. Best of luck!

I have a Rize RX Pro in my stable, one that's been heavily modified to meet my needs/want list exactly. I'm a big guy that uses it in some pretty good size rolling coastal hills, so it's pretty easy for me to justify a bike with this kind of muscle. It's an absolute torque monster that's also very civilized....

And last, often the elephant in the room, I will not give a bike without a throttle a second look. Totally spoiled....
Good points, as always. Not necessarily advocating either Aventon or Surface 604 (my ebike) for the OP, but they do have local dealer networks.

If by suspension you meant full suspension. Full suspensions step thru are rare and usually not in the $2k-$3k range.
If you have not already done so, you may want to take the time to browse the step thru thread on this forum.

I had a link to a review of full suspension ones in there

The cheapest Full suspension Step thru, with plenty of power is probabvly the FREY Savanah CC, but they have a limited dealer network in the US, so you may want to check if you are close to one.

Another potentially useful thread with some FS step thru.

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to quickly say thank you and let you know I ended up purchasing the Aventon Level 2!

I appreciate all your input and I am glad this community exists!
Im glad this forum exists and I have some place to come and seek for help!

Happy midweek!

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to quickly say thank you and let you know I ended up purchasing the Aventon Level 2!

I appreciate all your input and I am glad this community exists!
Im glad this forum exists and I have some place to come and seek for help!

Happy midweek!
Did you purchase direct or from a dealer?

E-bike Forum

Hello hello EBR folks!

I am in such mental struggle to find a bike that will carry me, my weight and I through the hilly parts of Metro Vancouver.

I am constantly reading about e-bikes just to get knowledge of what I want and need.

Unfortunately I am missing that know-how to choose one that is meeting my needs.

In a bike I am looking for:

• Good power and throttle for hills >500w
  • Great range
  • Suspension as I occasionally want to take it onto a trail but this would maybe happen 10% of the time
  • I felt a torque sensor and I am hooked to the feeling
  • A mid drive preferred just for the ability to climb hills better but not opposed to a hub motor if it makes sense
  • Fenders and rack should be included or upgradable
  • A nice shifter
  • Hydraulic brakes
  • 2k$ - 3k$
  • Slim - Medium tires

I think that’s what I want haha!

So far I was eyeing the following bikes and I am unsure if those are good and how the after sales service is when I require help in the case of a case.

Aventon Level 2 - Steph Through

https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-level-step-through-commuter-ebike?variant=42027621482691

Aventon Pace 500.3

But missing quite a few things I want

https://www.aventon.com/products/pace500-3-step-through-ebike?variant=42381879181507

Potentially a Volt Bike maybe?

Bravo Core

https://www.voltbike.com/bravo-core.html

Or one of the Steph through ones

Rize City MD

https://rizebikes.ca/products/city-md

I Originally was thinking of a rad power bike (city 5 plus) but they have just closed my pre sale ticket and didn’t even answer nor take phone calls so the service was so poor that I decided against them.

I appreciate your help for a newbie!

Thanksssss!!!

I went with a dealer.

In my view you made a very wise decision.

John

Congrats on the bike, I got an Aventon Pace 500 and love it but if I got a do-over I would have bought the bike you bought (mainly for front shock and torque sensor). I put Tannus Armour inserts in my bike and they are nice. $100 or so installed, I got them for peace of mind and it's been a couple years without a flat so they seem to have worked but have always given me peace of mind for little glass pieces, other junk. Congrats on the bike and enjoy!

Congrats on the bike, I got an Aventon Pace 500 and love it but if I got a do-over I would have bought the bike you bought (mainly for front shock and torque sensor). I put Tannus Armour inserts in my bike and they are nice. $100 or so installed, I got them for peace of mind and it's been a couple years without a flat so they seem to have worked but have always given me peace of mind for little glass pieces, other junk. Congrats on the bike and enjoy!
I almost bought the new Pace but I was worried about the no-shocks situation.
I used to own road bikes so I know how to ride and avoid holes and bumps.
But then thought about the speeds you can reach which definitely makes it harder on the body!

What was the decision driver for the protection?
I assume you can reuse the Taunus ones in case you do get a puncture?

Thank you :)
Very much excited!

I was riding in Phoenix when I bought the bike and there were a lot of goathead needles and my previous non ebike I got a lot of flats (more than 5 in 2 years). Now that I ride in Illinois, probably not as big of a deal, but still nice peace of mind that I won't get a flat riding to and from work. I don't know if they are "reusable" or not, my guess is yes because they are basically a solid piece of foam.

Back