need advice on new mid-priced mountain e-bike w/ these features…

HMM

Region
USA
Hi All -
Not enough time to research extensively, so I’m crowd-sourcing your collective expertise for recommendations on a new mountain e-bike in mid-price range w/these features:
class 2
full suspension
mid-drive motor
quiet motor/ride
more power than range (very hilly short rides)
hydraulic brakes
throttle
serviceable/available replacement parts

I LOVED my 2015 Izip E3 Peak, which has a failed tranzx motor that can’t be fixed. So, something comparable but more reliable would be great.

Or, if you know of a post with recommendations, can you link it here?

Thanks so much!!!

Need budget and suspension travel eg 140-150, 160-170mm. These for 27.5" wheels 29" tend to use less travel for same bike as large wheels help.
For long term support can't go wrong with mainstream manufacturers using, Shimano, Bosch, Brose(Specialized) or Yamaha motors .
When cames to bike brands the larger ones should also give long term support to frame. This is important with FS eMTB as pivot points need servicing on regular basis. Don't want bike you can't source parts for in 3-5years time.
On HT doesn't matter.
All other parts, suspension, brakes and drivetrains any MTB shop can service and spares are easy to source.

Some smaller manufacturers will use their own battery with mainstream motor eg Shimano. Be wary of these as sourcing new replacement batteries in future maybe difficult. Larger bike manufacturer or motor manufacturer batteries shouldn't be an issue. There is also safety issue with batteries, from Shimano, Bosch, Gaint or Specialized shouldn't issue as they spent lot money on battery technology.

NB none of these quality motors use throttles. If you must have throttle its chinese middrives with their dubious batteries. Also these bikes tend to come with cheaper suspension something you don't compromise on MTB.

Last edited:
Need budget and suspension travel eg 140-150, 160-170mm. These for 27.5" wheels 29" tend to use less travel for same bike as large wheels help.
For long term support can't go wrong with mainstream manufacturers using, Shimano, Bosch, Brose(Specialized) or Yamaha motors .
When cames to bike brands the larger ones should also give long term support to frame. This is important with FS eMTB as pivot points need servicing on regular basis. Don't want bike you can't source parts for in 3-5years time.
On HT doesn't matter.
All other parts, suspension, brakes and drivetrains any MTB shop can service and spares are easy to source.

Some smaller manufacturers will use their own battery with mainstream motor eg Shimano. Be wary of these as sourcing new replacement batteries in future maybe difficult. Larger bike manufacturer or motor manufacturer batteries shouldn't be an issue. There is also safety issue with batteries, from Shimano, Bosch, Gaint or Specialized shouldn't issue as they spent lot money on battery technology.

NB none of these quality motors use throttles. If you must have throttle its chinese middrives with their dubious batteries. Also these bikes tend to come with cheaper suspension something you don't compromise on MTB.

Thanks for the response…
The budget is between 3-6k
I’ve been watching EBR reviews and narrowing down the list…which of these stand out as better options?
Giant Stance E+2
OHM Quest 2 SUV Pro
Cannondale Monterey 2
Bulls Copperhead EVO AM 1 750
Surface 604 Shred (with hub motor)
Magnum Summit

5-7K $ USA.
Will get you a full suspension ebike
Thanks for these responses…
I’ve been watching EBR reviews and narrowing down the list…which of these stand out as better options?
Giant Stance E+2
OHM Quest 2 SUV Pro
Cannondale Monterey 2
Magnum Summit

Thanks for these responses…
Giant Stance E+2
OHM Quest 2 SUV Pro
Cannondale Monterey 2
Magnum Summit
I can attest for the Giant Stance E+2.
Had mine since Jan 2021 and it has close to 4000kms on it.
The motor is quiet.
The ride is comfy.
The range is good, but I went for the 800wh battery and that wiped out all range anxiety.
What is missing from your list is a throttle, but I personally don't miss it.
A huge reason I went Giant is the number of dealers, so great service coverage.

Do some test rides of quality FS eMTBs like trek powerfly range and Stance. Try both E+2 and E+1. E+1 has more power and better components ie suspension, shifters and brakes. The 70nm motor will still climb OK but extra power of 85nm means you can have lot more fun on climbs, especially switchbacks.

Do some test rides of quality FS eMTBs like trek powerfly range and Stance. Try both E+2 and E+1. E+1 has more power and better components ie suspension, shifters and brakes. The 70nm motor will still climb OK but extra power of 85nm means you can have lot more fun on climbs, especially switchbacks.

Wouldn't recommend a hub motor MTBing. Its comparing 1spd gearbox in car to 6spd.

Take the 120nm claims of chinese motors with grain of salt. eMTB reviews typically have them climbing slower than Bosch 85nm CX.

I can attest for the Giant Stance E+2.
Had mine since Jan 2021 and it has close to 4000kms on it.
The motor is quiet.
The ride is comfy.
The range is good, but I went for the 800wh battery and that wiped out all range anxiety.
What is missing from your list is a throttle, but I personally don't miss it.
A huge reason I went Giant is the number of dealers, so great service coverage.
Thanks so much for this great feedback. Great to hear about the Giant E+2. EBR video commented on how quiet it is, which is great!

Thanks Trevor- I’ll look at the E+1 too. Not sure it’s in stock at local bike shop, but will see…

Yes, if you can do the extra cash, the E+1 is a great option.

Back