Upgrade a new bike?

StuartKuz

Region
USA
City
Longmont CO
So how stupid is it to buy a new bike and upgrade it to what you think would be better? A Specialized Turbo Tero 4 hardtail is pretty much what I'd like, but yikes there is none.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-tero-x-4-0/p/200360?color=323886-200360
So how bad would it be to buy the Specialized Turbo Tero 3 and replace the drive train and add a dropper?

The for the TREK Powerfly 4 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...powerfly-4-gen-4/p/37043/?colorCode=black_red needs a display and dropper post .
The Giant Talon E+ https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-eplus-3 would need a drive train and dropper post.
The Rocky Mountain Growler https://bikes.com/collections/powerplay-bikes/products/growler-pp-30-22 would need a display, fenders lights rack.

Boy, this is really a first world problem.

The closest to the ideal bike is the currently inavailable https://harobikes.com/products/double-peak-i-o-commuter-2021 - less than $4k, Class 1, removeable battery in down tube, under 50ish lbs, mid motor up to 60-70Nm, 450+ Wh battery, readable display with cadence, less than $4k, ...

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
A Specialized Turbo Tero 4 hardtail is pretty much what I'd like, but yikes there is none.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-tero-x-4-0/p/200360?color=323886-200360
You are showing a Tero X 4.0 full-suspension (which is available online!) and are talking Tero 4.0 (which is unavailable because Specialized seems to have put all its energy into the X)?

Tero X 4.0 is basically a Tero 3.0 with full suspension. It is a good idea to buy something you would not need to upgrade, as upgrading might easily cost more than buying a better model. (Ask me how I know) :)

Yes, it is a first-world problem.

I can say that I've never bought a bike in my life where I didn't start upgrading parts almost immediately, sometimes before I ever rode the bike.
X2! You buy it as close as you can, then start personalizing it! Tires, seat/seat suspension, whatever you need to do to get the handlebars comfortable/where you want them, chain ring size, etc. etc. etc........... The more you ride, the pickier you get! Most people will never realize just how custom some bikes are/become!

Nothing wrong with upgrading a new bike as long as the mods don't void the warranty. You may need to put the bike back to OEM conditions should warranty work become necessary.

At some point, you may decide to sell the bike and it may be easier to do so in OEM stock condition.

I’m all for customizing and hacking. You buy it, it’s yours. To do as you like. Just don’t be ridiculous about how you use the bike around bud others.

When I got my bike, I didn’t realize the extent of what can be modified. 2 years later, my bike is very different. When changing out the electronics, 8 months after purchasing, I made sure that I can put everything back to stock in case any warranty issues came up. They never did, and now I have a great bike that is unique to me.

If I had to do it all over again, I would be more particular about the frame. Fit was my top priority, when choosing my bike.

I bought a Yamaha Civante E-bike that has all Tiagra on it. I upgraded to a 105 cassette, narrow range, 105 chain, carbon seat post, new carbon seat with titanium rails, new stem and handlebars, titanium stem bolts, replaced the heavy and slow gravel tires with Pirelli 32c racing tires.

So there is nothing wrong with buying a new bike and upgrading. It is many times cheaper than buying a more expensive bike.

So there is nothing wrong with buying a new bike and upgrading. It is many times cheaper than buying a more expensive bike.
You cannot replace the motor on the premium e-bikes though.
In case of Specialized, upgrading the battery to a bigger one means the expense of US$1,000 or more.

I honestly will never understand any business that sells a bike for over about $4500 USD that includes a saddle and pedals. Bluntly, they probably shouldn't include handlebars either. Anybody spending that much on a bike almost certainly has a pretty good idea of what works for them, and they are likely to swap out those parts at the first opportunity.

The same thing goes for fenders and racks. It is a rare bike that ships with fenders and racks as good as you can purchase yourself. In particular I have no patience or sympathy for bike manufacturers that put pseudo porteur or pseudo randoneer racks that won't work with any porteur or rando bags.

I honestly will never understand any business that sells a bike for over about $4500 USD that includes a saddle and pedals. Bluntly, they probably shouldn't include handlebars either. Anybody spending that much on a bike almost certainly has a pretty good idea of what works for them, and they are likely to swap out those parts at the first opportunity.

The same thing goes for fenders and racks. It is a rare bike that ships with fenders and racks as good as you can purchase yourself. In particular I have no patience or sympathy for bike manufacturers that put pseudo porteur or pseudo randoneer racks that won't work with any porteur or rando bags.
I cannot fully agree to the above.
  • Yes, very expensive bikes or e-bikes are delivered with no pedals. In case it is an unaware customer, the store throws the cheap pedals in or recommends the appropriate ones.
  • A good brand delivers a saddle that matches the intended type of the bike. If it is a sporty bike, a sporty saddle can be found on the bike. It can only be attributed to the buyer unawareness that the rider instantly replaces a very good saddle for the intended bike use with a "comfortable" chair that is not good for pedalling, creates even more pain in the butt, and the groin abrasion is inevitable.
  • No real reason to swap the handlebars. If a given bike type has come with wide flat handlebars, that's because of the intended use of the bike. If someone immediately replaces the stock bars with curved ones (or Jones H-bars) it simply means the user has bought a wrong type of the bike for their purposes (the user should have bought a city bike or a beach cruiser).
  • Fenders and racks? I'd say Specialized equips their e-bikes with quality fenders and racks, again, for the intended purpose. Moreover. Specialized rear fender, rack and tail-light are nicely integrated. I have no issue to carry heavy grocery shopping on either of those racks. Were I going on a randonneur?...
1684257578430.png

Did anyone say "randonneur"? :) Does a 208 km ride qualify?

Stefan, I disagree about handlebars. I bought short reach handlebars for a better fit and to sit more upright. Same for the stem. Both saved quite a bit of weight as well being carbon. Most bike shops sell you bikes without a proper fit. My local shops will do a rudimentary fit on expensive road bikes no straight bar bikes.

I don't read his posts. That keeps me in line. But remember the guys views are myopic and limited to pretty much a single brand. And there's a LOT more out there. Companies like Grin ebike.ca sell PREMIUM motors and parts. I've seen builds with far superior components. @linklemming is another example of a successful builder using upper tier bikes, premium motors, and some of the best batteries.

I and scores of others here have changed handlebars. Sadly ready made eBikes still have parts that can be changed out for more comfort and/or a better ride.

and to sit more upright.
You're asking for aching butt, hand numbness, and assorted pains related to the spine nerves compression.

Bike-fitting - yes. However, isn't it strange the only handlebar choice for -- specifically - a road bike is a wider or narrower handlebar? Now fancy people replacing the drop bar with flat handlebars on a road bike (hardly doable). If that holds true why do people believe replacing flat handlebars with curved ones would make their bike fit better? Most of them do that without even a single thought of professional bike fitting!

You're asking for aching butt, hand numbness, and assorted pains related to the spine nerves compression.

Bike-fitting - yes. However, isn't it strange the only handlebar choice for -- specifically - a road bike is a wider or narrower handlebar? Now fancy people replacing the drop bar with flat handlebars on a road bike (hardly doable). If that holds true why do people believe replacing flat handlebars with curved ones would make their bike fit better? Most of them do that without even a single thought of professional bike fitting!
Here's the deal. If I want to change the handlebars that's what's going to happen. I have no need to justify why or what with some "expert" whose riding needs are very likely vastly different from my own....

The only thing I find "strange" here is is some "expert" claiming his favorite bars are the only right choice.....

You are showing a Tero X 4.0 full-suspension (which is available online!) and are talking Tero 4.0 (which is unavailable because Specialized seems to have put all its energy into the X)?

Tero X 4.0 is basically a Tero 3.0 with full suspension. It is a good idea to buy something you would not need to upgrade, as upgrading might easily cost more than buying a better model. (Ask me how I know) :)
Yes the 2 are quite similar (?!?), but the X 4 vrs the 3 has a very different components aside from being FS vrs hardtail-
Drive train- SRAM 12 speed vrs Shimano 9;
Front suspension- Rockshox Recon vrs Suntour XCM;
TranzX dropper post vrs none.

When looking at the 3 which is safely in my budget I am looking into swapping out drive train to a Shimano Deore at a minimum, adding a dropper post and staying below $4k. I've ridden the Tero 3 twice and both had an issue shifting.

I'm going to ride one more brand before stopping this manic chase for a bike. I rode the Gen 3 of the Rocky Mountain Growler 30 and was very impressed. The Gen 4 RM Fusion 10 might be available only an hour away. More updates to come.

Thanks for all the input.

Yes the 2 are quite similar (?!?), but the X 4 vrs the 3 has a very different components aside from being FS vrs hardtail-
Drive train- SRAM 12 speed vrs Shimano 9;
Front suspension- Rockshox Recon vrs Suntour XCM;
TranzX dropper post vrs none.
What is wrong with far better components of the Tero X 4.0 in addition to the Full Suspension for US$4,500?! Do you really believe Shimano is better than SRAM?

Perhaps there is some miscomprehension between us, Stuart? Do you want to buy an inferior e-bike (Tero 3.0) and upgrade it? The upgrade cost might eat your savings!

P.S. If the cheaper drivetrains did not shift smoothly on the demo e-bikes you tried, there was an issue with their adjustment by the LBS. Even cheap Alivio is smooth if adjusted and used properly. It is essential to stop pedalling for a short while during the shifting on an e-bike; or, at least dramatically easy up on pedalling.

Last edited:
What is wrong with far better components of the Tero X 4.0 in addition to the Full Suspension for US$4,500?! Do you really believe Shimano is better than SRAM?

Perhaps there is some miscomprehension between us, Stuart? Do you want to buy an inferior e-bike (Tero 3.0) and upgrade it? The upgrade cost might eat your savings!

P.S. If the cheaper drivetrains did not shift smoothly on the demo e-bikes you tried, there was an issue with their adjustment by the LBS. Even cheap Alivio is smooth if adjusted and used properly. It is essential to stop pedalling for a short while during the shifting on an e-bike; or, at least dramatically easy up on pedalling.
As always, thanks for your input. Unfortunately I have a firm $4k ceiling. After taxes, upgraded locks, car hitch, and transport rack, don't ask, don't tell about the final $$s.

Well, the e-bike is to serve you for a couple of years. I simply do not want you having a buyer's remorse. Cannot the other expenses just wait? Have you made the budget for the upgrades yet?

Back