Lafree E+1 Pannier

XyloSesame

My wife will be receiving a Lafree this week and we're having trouble finding panniers that will work with the rear rack mounted battery on this bike. There's not much room for standard metal or plastic clips and we haven't found a standard bag that fits at our LBS. I've seen general threads suggesting the Arkel "Cam-Lock" system for rack mounted battery bikes (https://www.arkel-od.com/en/commuting-bike-bag.html), and the Ortleib systems were mentioned in the Quick E sub (https://ortliebusa.com/product/velo-shopper/). I'd prefer to find a bag/system that works rather than any zip-tie type hacks...

Does anyone have recommendations for the Lafree rack?

Haven’t tried it on the LaFree, but the grocery bag panniers from banjo brothers might hook over the lower rail and onto a bungee hook you mount on a lug near the bottom of the seat stays https://banjobrothers.com/collections/panniers/products/grocery-pannier-folding
01080_banjobrothers_pannier_attachment_1200x.jpg

I'm not sure what Giant was thinking when they made this rack. You can put a trunk bag on top, but you can't hang panniers from there since it's too narrow. Then they inset the mid and bottom horizontals so that any bag clips have to protrude from the pannier enough to clear the diameter of the rack.

I know Ortlieb has a rail system that mounts to a rack, then the panniers mount to that, but I'm not even sure if their rails would fit this nutty design.

Attachments

• Lafree Rack Battery.jpg
    Lafree Rack Battery.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 1,129
Last edited:
JC Lind bikes in Chicago sell heavy duty colorful double panniers with removable shopping bag insert by a Dutch company Clarijs that sling over just about any rack that is six inches wide.

Last edited:
I’m using a jannd trunk bag with small built in panniers on my lafree
We looked at those types as well, but my wife really wanted to keep a low center of gravity and, more importantly, needs to haul groceries; the pannier size really eliminated quite a few brands and types. Right now we have an older single pannier on her bike to get her through until new ones are delivered. It installed on the bottom horizontal rail, but was still a bit wonky and is definitely not an on-off.

JC Lind bikes in Chicago sell heavy duty colorful double panniers with removable shopping bag insert by a Dutch company Clarijs that sling over just about any rack that is six inches wide.
She absolutely loved those sling-overs; we have a set on the way. Thanks for the tip!

Believe it or not, I got Ortlieb backrollers to fit on this rack. And by me I mostly mean the nice man at the bike shop who helped me adjust them. We attached them on the bottom rail so they sit really low but that's actually a plus, given the weight of the battery. It took maybe 10 minutes of fiddling with the hook adjustment, but we got them set up so I can have them on and off very easily. I haven't hauled anything super heavy in them yet but they feel VERY solid and they're not interfering with my feet or my wheels so I'm calling it a win.

We looked at those types as well, but my wife really wanted to keep a low center of gravity and, more importantly, needs to haul groceries; the pannier size really eliminated quite a few brands and types. Right now we have an older single pannier on her bike to get her through until new ones are delivered. It installed on the bottom horizontal rail, but was still a bit wonky and is definitely not an on-off.

She absolutely loved those sling-overs; we have a set on the way. Thanks for the tip!
How are the Clarijs working out? Looking for my new La Free E+2.

I finally found a pair of Pannier bags that fit the LaFree E+ 1 rack perfectly! $29 on Amazon:

Lixada Pannier on Amazon

Not too big either. Straps on top are buckle type, and fit and hold perfectly front and rear (to keep tight, slide strap through buckle, then back over and thru it again...). Side straps are horizontal Velcro type, and thus fit the support frame without any hook points needed.

Attachments

• Lixada Pannier Rear.jpg
    Lixada Pannier Rear.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Lixada Pannier Side.jpg
    Lixada Pannier Side.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 740
  • Lixada Pannier Straps.jpg
    Lixada Pannier Straps.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 533
My LBS has several panniers, including the grocery type, that work on the La Free - prices comparable to Amazon. Check with yours?

Back