Any Japanese e-bikers with upgrade suggestions?

WoodyinJapan

Region
Asia
After 32 months of riding a Panasonic Vivi DX as my primary transportation in Shizuoka-shi, I have decided to upgrade to a better e-bike. Maybe a higher quality ‘city’ e-bike that fits me better. At 178 cm and 97 kg, my 27 kg Vivi DX is already above its max gross weight of 123 kg before I load its basket with groceries. My petite wife rides a Vivi L and loves it, but 590x37 tires give me a rough ride and I’m straining the brakes & drive train every time I ride. We relocated from Seattle when I retired in 2020 and left our cars behind. After the expense of operating and maintaining motor vehicles, these e-bikes feel like free transportation, so the price of an upgraded bike is not a problem. However, finding the right e-bike is proving to be very difficult.

I want to keep some features that I really appreciate: a convenient step-through frame, a dependable center-drive motor, and the standard ‘city’ equipment: fenders, lights, kickstand, wheel lock, front basket & rear rack. Of course, I also want a BAA compliant/legal 250w pedal-assist 25 k/h model.

The upgrades I want include: strong drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes & a larger frame with some suspension, if available. I’m looking for a comfortable city bike with an upright posture, not an MTB. I see many e-bikes with all these in the USA & European markets, but not in Japan. I am not too concerned about light weights, long ranges, or phone apps. I am concerned about dependability and local product support. We’ve never needed more than the 3 gears available on our Vivi e-bikes.

I first tried to shop at our local Cycle Base Asahi, but my Nihongo was insufficient to communicate. Nor did I find good options available in their online catalogue. We get great service on our Panasonics Vivi e-bikes at Asahi Cycle Center. I would like to buy there again. Our only expense beyond Cyclemate membership has been front brake pads for my wife.

I discovered the Cannondale Adventure Neo 3 EQ (C68361U) available in Japan for ¥308,000. It features front suspension forks, seat suspension, 650x56 tires, step-through frame, 180/160mm HDB, and a Bosch drivetrain with Shimano 9-speed derailleur. I didn’t like the external gearing and I wasn’t sure about local service, but the ‘deal-killer’ was learning that Cannondale only imports the Small frame model. I probably would buy a Large frame Neo3EQ if it were available, but it is not. The manufacturer was kind enough to provide me a detailed explanation and assure me that no Large frames would be available in Japan. It is a good looking bike.

I am giving serious consideration to buying a Specialized Turbo Como SL 5.0 (90121-3004) which is on sale for ¥404,250 (or $3,200 in USA). They have a local dealer and 4 Large frame models in inventory. Features include: 650x2.3” tires, 160mm HDB, belt-drive to 8-speed Alfine IGH and great reviews. It looks well-constructed, but has some quirks: no suspension; non-removable battery; and a nice frame-mounted front basket, but only pannier clips on rear.

The ‘deal-killer’ here is its step-over height of 60cm (versus 40 on Vivi, 44.5/45.5 on Neo3EQ S/L, and 35.5 on Specialized Como). That’s the real shame; Specialized does not import their Turbo Como (non-SL) step-through with its front suspension forks, seat suspension, 180mm HDB, removable battery and better rear rack. That is a sweet bike! They cannot import the enviolo CVT internal hub to Japan, but they offer other powertrains. Unfortunately, they are not importing their step-through e-bike and it is impossible to test ride their Como SL. I would buy the step-through Turbo Como if it was available, but it is not.

So, I am still shopping. Maybe I could have a bike custom built with a step-through frame, front suspension, larger tires and disc brakes. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait. I know that there is a growing market for older adults riding upright city e-bikes. Meanwhile, I added a Suntour SP12NCX suspension seat-post to my Panasonic Vivi DX and it is a noticeable improvement. I’ll keep that bike for guests after I buy a new bike. It’s a great way to get around town. Any ideas?

Last edited:
600 mm Standover Height is not a tragical figure on the L frame. Sorry for asking the question: Too high to just lift the foot and throw it over the low top tube? Why do I ask this question is:

I am 62 with a medical condition of legs. I'm 173 cm (5'8") tall with my own "standover height" (cycling inseam) of 78 cm (30.5"). My Vado Step-Through size M has the Standover Height of 720 mm, and I experience no issue mounting or dismounting that e-bike. Given you seem to be taller than I am (you mention Como SL size L with standover height of 600 mm), should you experience any issue with a Como SL?

Thanks. You make a good point. I suppose I'm just used to the handy step-through frame on the Vivi. But I am going to bike over to my local Specialized store in one week to see how the Como SL 5.0 feels & fits. But I won't be allowed to ride it ("it's not a demo bike"). Maybe I'll like it.
But I still think that new Como step-through looks like a better overall design with front suspension, removable 530Wh battery, and better rear rack. But I might have to spend ¥404,000 ($3,000) for the available SL model. I like the Large frame option.

Thanks. You make a good point. I suppose I'm just used to the handy step-through frame on the Vivi. But I am going to bike over to my local Specialized store in one week to see how the Como SL 5.0 feels & fits. But I won't be allowed to ride it ("it's not a demo bike"). Maybe I'll like it.
But I still think that new Como step-through looks like a better overall design with front suspension, removable 530Wh battery, and better rear rack. But I might have to spend ¥404,000 ($3,000) for the available SL model. I like the Large frame option.
Woody, I think I know what it is about the SL e-bikes and Japan. The country you live in has very strict e-bike rules. That is, Japan allows e-bikes with true motor max power of 250 W. The SL motor has the actual max motor power of 240 W, and is the only Specialized motor never exceeding 240 W mechanical motor power.

While all "full power" Specialized e-bikes such as Como or Vado or Tero are nominally 250 W but their maximum (peak) mechanical motor power well exceeds the 250 W limit (some motors can pump up to 565 W of mechanical power). That would not pass well with the Japanese bureaucracy!

Last edited:
I am new to the forum but noticed this post, and since I also live in Japan I thought I would put in what little I know.
I bought a Trek Verve+ directly from Trek in 2019. My plan was to use it to commute, but as it turns out my company office in Tokyo wouldn't allow a commute by bicycle, and since I would go "home" to Gifu prefecture on the weekends that meant I didn't use it for quite sometime. I am riding daily now, and have noticed the following:
  1. Trek (or maybe it is Bosch, since that is the brand of motor) is following all the Japanese laws regarding pedal assist. The firmware is specific to Japan, and for example has the walk assist feature disabled. So, if you are looking to stay out of trouble, this is probably a pretty good.
  2. The Verve+ was Trek's first ebike aimed at the "common man". It has been followed up by the Verve+2 and Verve+3. Note that the Verve+ I could get in Japan was slightly different than the standard one in the US. For example, the HMI for the Bosch motor is Intuvia on my bike, but would be Purion in the US. I believe the US version had a suspension seatpost but the Japan version was a fixed seatpost. I think there are a couple more things, but the point of this is that you should not make assumptions reading about the bike in English, only to find that it is different when you go to the store in Japan.
  3. I think there is just one Trek store in Shizuoka, but Bike-Plus became an authorized Trek dealer, and that helped a lot for me (now in Saitama). I understand some Y's shops carry Trek. I have had great service both at the Trek stores and at Bike-Plus.
  4. If you do look at the Verve+ series, the Verve+2 seemed to be slightly different--all improvements as far as I could tell. While I like my Verve+, if I were going to buy today I would look seriously at the newer versions.

I have been following the release of Kawasaki's Noslisu trikes, the cargo trike in particular. The cargo trike has a 180w hub motor! That's crazy underpowered. They have one trike with a 500w motor, but that passes the threshold and is a licensed bike. So my question is, what is the maximum watts of an unregistered ebike in Japan. 250w max power? I have a 500w hub motor bike and it will draw almost 1500w max.

I have been following the release of Kawasaki's Noslisu trikes, the cargo trike in particular. The cargo trike has a 180w hub motor! That's crazy underpowered. They have one trike with a 500w motor, but that passes the threshold and is a licensed bike. So my question is, what is the maximum watts of an unregistered ebike in Japan. 250w max power? I have a 500w hub motor bike and it will draw almost 1500w max.
My understanding is that technically there is no cap on the motor capability, but the actual amount of assistance from the motor is what is limited. The pedal assist from the motor can be twice the amount that the rider is pressing up to 10 km/h, then the amount of decline above 10 km/h has to no more than a linear descent curve to 24 km/h, and at 25 km/h and above, there can be zero assistance. (You can see the graph on page 2 of this PDF. All in Japanese unfortunately.) Also, my understanding is there can be no assistance unless someone is pedaling so "walk mode" is also not available.
I suspect this is why the motors used on ebikes in Japan are sized so small. They don't need to be too big because they are limited in what they are allowed to do anyway. On the other hand, I believe the EU has a limit of 250W.

Back