Is there a 3rd party higher capacity battery that will fit the Rook/Colt???

Hi AZ, realize my order says 2 pin. That's why I high lighted the requirement for 5 pin.

See snip below.

5Pin.PNG

Hi AZ, realize my order says 2 pin. That's why I high lighted the requirement for 5 pin.

See snip below.

View attachment 29908
I have 2 ebikes that take the same reention dorado 10.4Ah battery. So I still would appreciate you taking a picture of your bike port and the battery port. Cause AFAIK all of them have a 2 pin port and 3 tiny recessed indentions that do absolutely nothing when attached to the bike frame.
IMG_20190213_102755.jpgIMG_20190213_102730.jpg

Both mine have the 5 pins. See Rook below.

Attachments

• 20190102_175326.jpg
    20190102_175326.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 999
  • 20190102_181958.jpg
    20190102_181958.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,139
Both mine have the 5 pins. See Rook below.
Thanks for the pictures. That's very helpful. Looks like they added guide pins. IMO they don't do anything else but help guide the port of the pack. So drilling them out with a small bit would accomplish the same thing if your ebike connector has those.

I was able to procure a 21ah Dorado battery for my rook but have run into some compatibility issues. The new battery and Reention mount that came with it have 2 wires (red and black) into the discharge port. However when I removed the Reention mount from my rook there are 3 additional smaller wires ( green, red, and yellow). See attached. Does anyone know what those wires support? - Thanks

Attachments

• Reention- Rook.jpg
    Reention- Rook.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 900
Hi Hoppy, here’s some pictures from my order. These were sent to me from Susie prior to shipping to make sure I was happy with my order. The communication back and forth was excellent. In terms of length and width etc. To my knowledge from Susie, there’s only one style casing that’s fits the Rook and one style casing that fits the Shred which is the stock one. You then have the choices on what AH cells you want in there...I asked for the best and Maximum AH available that would fit...and that is for the Rook or Colt 20.4AH and the Shred 13.6AH. You can cut costs by quite a bit going with less AH but why if your going through all this. Susie claimed for the best performance use the Samsung cells, they have others that are less expensive but I chose these.

On my order for the Rook battery is as follows:
Customized Reention Dorado Max 48V 20.4AH, 500W by Samsung Cells, Discharging Port 2 Pin, Charging Port 3 Pin.

On my order for the Shred battery is as follows:
Customized Reention Dorado Plus Max 52 Cells 48V 13.6AH, 500W, by Samsung cells, Discharging Port 2 Pin, Charging Port 3 Pin.

Note: I ordered there upgraded fan cooled battery chargers which have double the output and a different electrical end. If your going to use the stock plastic battery charger you will need to specify that in your order for that end, just send Susie the picture. Some of the questions on my order was what wall electrical end did I want, I sent the picture which is the same in North America...this company builds battery’s for all country’s and that’s important that you get that 115/120 3 prong. Susie and I through many e-mails got this down. Regards Robert ??
Hi Robert, can you inform us the riding ranges that you are getting on the Rook with the 48V 20.4Ah battery? Thanks

Hi Guys & Gals, The test results are in on the Rook bike with a 20.4 AH battery.

We ran the bike at level 2 assist at all times, ranging from 6% grades, rolling hills and straight flat pavement. With 1 bar still showing it got 180.1KM or 111.9 miles per full charge...wow I was impressed....extremely happy...Regards Robert.

Attachments

• 74AE5DBC-FEFE-472F-8F8B-B0E177CC6B15.png
    74AE5DBC-FEFE-472F-8F8B-B0E177CC6B15.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 501
  • 131FE361-06CA-4836-8009-D82C47CBF3DE.jpeg
    131FE361-06CA-4836-8009-D82C47CBF3DE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 569
Hi Guys & Gals, The test results are in on the Rook bike with a 20.4 AH battery.

We ran the bike at level 2 assist at all times, ranging from 6% grades, rolling hills and straight flat pavement. With 1 bar still showing it got 180.1KM or 111.9 miles per full charge...wow I was impressed....extremely happy...Regards Robert.

Test results on the Shred bike with the new 13.6 AH battery.

We did the same kind of riding as the previous test, level 2 assist at all times, climbed up hills with a 6% grade, rode on rolling hills and a mix of flat pavement...a whopping 91.6KM with a full charge and 1 bar still showing.

Attachments

• 73678F95-F723-47FA-9584-E556C27B56D6.jpeg
    73678F95-F723-47FA-9584-E556C27B56D6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 522
  • 5518B04C-A143-4EDA-917C-5BB1312D5DA9.png
    5518B04C-A143-4EDA-917C-5BB1312D5DA9.png
    437.7 KB · Views: 502

Hi JV34, That is excellent range. Any issues with the battery so far?

Hi Hoppy, no issues with the battery's ran many miles through on both bikes (Rook & Shred)...very happy with the purchases, also love the chargers I bought from the same company.

Hi Hoppy, no issues with the battery's ran many miles through on both bikes (Rook & Shred)...very happy with the purchases, also love the chargers I bought from the same company.
Hi jv34, I too am impressed with the range you are getting on the Rook. I have a Rook and, per your posts, I am planning on ordering a 20 ah battery from Susie. Now with better weather and more riding opportunities, still no issues with the battery? Also, would you please provide a photo of this larger battery mounted on the Rook? And thank you for your many helpful posts.

Are you still getting 112 mile range out of the 20.4Ah battery?? Since that is about 2x of the standard 10.4Ah battery, that would mean that you were getting about 55 mile range out of the 10.4Ah battery, and I find that hard to believe as it is more than the max range even the company states and very hardly ever that range is achieved. So maybe you can also tell us what conditions you ride in, PAS levels, and weight. Thanks. BTW, the rook itself is a very heavy ebike. I have a lighter Ride1up with the same 10.4Ah battery, with 200lb rider I get about 30 mile range in pretty flat area using mainly PAS 7-9 & throttle. I haven't tried PAS 1-4 but I very much doubt I will see a 80% improvement in range.

Last edited:
Ok here we go again.

The test results I posted were true results from me on my wife’s Rook back in April this year. Those days of testing it was above freezing but not by much, I’m 175 lbs, rode in level 2 assist at all time even if the hill was a 6% grade for most of the riding it was rolling hills, I ride with 45 lbs tire pressure. I never use the throttle assist which kills battery power quickly. I always start off in the lowest gear from standstill which helps preserve the battery also. I think I would qualify to say I put the Rook and the Shred through there test. I’m also a full down hill rider with other bikes I own...this is not my first rodeo.

You ask if I’m still getting those KM or Miles, I say I have not done another qualified test since April however I ride my Shred every second day and put on many KM and are very happy with the new battery’s output. My wife rides her Rook on the weekends and rides at a higher assist and sometimes uses her throttle to get a quick start so no those ratings would go down significantly because of that.

PS I just looked up on Surface 604 web site and they list there stock 10.4 AH at 50 miles on a Rook. Another note: if you have played with the computer dealer settings to up the speed on your Rook your also going to kill the battery much faster.

You will notice on the pictures I posted of our Rook the 20.4 AH battery is slightly wider on the left side the only other thing that’s different is there is no handle...no big deal to me still easy to remove. On my Shred the 13.6 AH battery looks identical to the stock battery with a handle and same width.

Again this experiment was to see what the max KM/Miles I could get out of a single charge, most people (99%) will not ride there bikes like I tested.

Cheers
jv34

Attachments

• D21128AD-8843-40FA-A955-432AFE3A6C54.jpeg
    D21128AD-8843-40FA-A955-432AFE3A6C54.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 603
  • 8CBC7B4C-4702-48F6-BEE2-3F980B3567D7.jpeg
    8CBC7B4C-4702-48F6-BEE2-3F980B3567D7.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 633
  • 3500CA07-A98F-4F11-A216-96D1572DCD97.jpeg
    3500CA07-A98F-4F11-A216-96D1572DCD97.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 657
Ok here we go again.

The test results I posted were true results from me on my wife’s Rook back in April this year. Those days of testing it was above freezing but not by much, I’m 175 lbs, rode in level 2 assist at all time even if the hill was a 6% grade for most of the riding it was rolling hills, I ride with 45 lbs tire pressure. I never use the throttle assist which kills battery power quickly. I always start off in the lowest gear from standstill which helps preserve the battery also. I think I would qualify to say I put the Rook and the Shred through there test. I’m also a full down hill rider with other bikes I own...this is not my first rodeo.

You ask if I’m still getting those KM or Miles, I say I have not done another qualified test since April however I ride my Shred every second day and put on many KM and are very happy with the new battery’s output. My wife rides her Rook on the weekends and rides at a higher assist and sometimes uses her throttle to get a quick start so no those ratings would go down significantly because of that.

PS I just looked up on Surface 604 web site and they list there stock 10.4 AH at 50 miles on a Rook. Another note: if you have played with the computer dealer settings to up the speed on your Rook your also going to kill the battery much faster.

You will notice on the pictures I posted of our Rook the 20.4 AH battery is slightly wider on the left side the only other thing that’s different is there is no handle...no big deal to me still easy to remove. On my Shred the 13.6 AH battery looks identical to the stock battery with a handle and same width.

Again this experiment was to see what the max KM/Miles I could get out of a single charge, most people (99%) will not ride there bikes like I tested.

Cheers
jv34

Hello Robert, jv34,

Thank you for this post. I appreciate it and appreciate that you took the time to also provide the photos. Per your experience and excellent posts, I will be ordering a 20 ah battery from Susie.

Hi AZOldTech

In response to your last post, I too have a Rook. I will have had it for two years in September and have a little over 2,000 miles on it. Except for a few problems at the very beginning, which Surface 604 support was quick in sending me replacement parts, I have had no problems. I love the quality of the bike and the upgraded features, especially at this low price point compared to much of the competition.

As jv34 has pointed out, the amount of distance you can expect to reach is determined by several factors, two major ones being the load on the bike and the terrain. I weigh 165 lbs. When I first got the bike I tested it for the longest possible distance. Over a period of several days, I rode it on relatively level pavements, using only assist level 1, and the gears. I never use the throttle except as a push from a stop to quickly cross busy intersections. On that test, I got an incredible 143 MILES. No s.... However, that's not to be expected.

I have tall hillsides near me which is where I prefer to ride. It is much more peaceful and with less traffic up there. Five days ago I took a ride in the hills for a total of 39 miles using level 2 in assist and the gears. When I got back, I still had one bar on my almost two year old battery. I have gone as far as 43 miles in those hills but I've also come very close to having to push the bike home. Without assist, the bike is not only heavy, it feels like the dead motor has a drag on it.

The reason I want a larger battery is that I want to eliminate the anxiety when I take long rides. I don't need 100 miles per say. But going for 40 to 50 mile or more rides, in hilly country, without having to worry about running out of juice would be nice.

Regards

As jv34 has pointed out, the amount of distance you can expect to reach is determined by several factors, two major ones being the load on the bike and the terrain. I weigh 165 lbs. When I first got the bike I tested it for the longest possible distance. Over a period of several days, I rode it on relatively level pavements, using only assist level 1, and the gears. I never use the throttle except as a push from a stop to quickly cross busy intersections. On that test, I got an incredible 143 MILES. No s....
143 mile range out of the 10.4Ah battery???? If yes, that is 3x the 50mile range the company has as max which usually mean PAS 1, low weight rider and favorable terrain and weather conditions. So if the 143 mile range was with the 10.4Ah battery, well for a better word, that would be... unbelievable.

Dear All,
I'm Susie who provided the battery to Robert.
Anybody needs this battery may want to know following information:
Reention Dorado batteries can fit many different brands of bikes, as long as the type is the same.
When you check out the "L" is 440 or 505mm, normally you will know if the 20AH biggest capacity can fit or not.
L means the length including the front and back sockets, see attached picture.
Battery with same L can be replaced with each other.
So if the L is 440mm, the biggest capacity for 48V battery is 13.6AH (for 36V is 20.4AH);
if the L is 505mm, the biggest capacity for 48V battery is 20.4AH (for 36V is 27.2AH).
Disharging port options: 2 Pin/ 5 Pin/ 6Pin
Charging port options: DC2.1 (max 3A) / DC2.5 (max 5A) / 3 Pin (max 5A).
Charger recommeded for 48V 20.4AH: 54.6V 4A (3Pin charging plug), with cooling fan, metal case.
My contact details:
Mob/WhatsApp/WeChat:+86 13586917731
E-Mail:[email protected]
Welcome your inquiry!
Susie

Attachments

• Dorado Case.jpg
    Dorado Case.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 929
  • L 505mm or 440mm.jpg
    L 505mm or 440mm.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 913
  • How to measure the L.jpeg
    How to measure the L.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 956
  • Dorado.png
    Dorado.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Dorado Size.jpg
    Dorado Size.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 959
  • Discharging Port.jpg
    Discharging Port.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,293
  • Charging port.png
    Charging port.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 48V 13.6AH & 48V 20.4AH.jpg
    48V 13.6AH & 48V 20.4AH.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 917
  • 36V 27.2AH.jpg
    36V 27.2AH.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 881
I purchased a 48V 17AH battery for my 2017 Rook from Susie of Aijiupower. The battery is about half of the price of the US vendors. On PAS 3, I can ride about 35 miles with 50% charge left. I estimate that I can get about 60 to 70 miles on a full battery. The purchase process has been excellent through emails with Susie and I paid through Alibaba. I requested and got the Samsung 35e battery cells, which Susie sent me confirmation pictures during the battery building process. I got the battery less than a month after payment. I was surprised the shipment was by FedEx from China and tracking provided. Overall, I am happy with the battery quality, riding range, price and buying process through Susie.

Here's a good comparison video showing Japanese SanyoGA, Chinese PanasonicGA, Korean LGMJ1, and Korean Samsung 35E.
The Samsung 35E works very well at lower stress. SanyoGa tops for heavier stress, Panasonic GA very close, almost as good, LGMJ1 is a bit sub-par.

Last edited:
Back