Making an adapter for MIK to fit a JandD top case

rob feature

Region
USA
City
Greenwood Village, Colorado
After searching high and low, it turns out that nobody makes what I wanted or it's perpetually out of stock. I wanted a good size top case with some expansion that could carry enough for a day trip. And I wanted something with MIK compatibility for a quick connect/disconnect.

The J and D Rear Rac Pac II fit the bill, but didn't have the ideal mounting solution. I could strap it to the rack, but it didn't get much surface area on the bottom and moved around a lot.

So, after a bit of brainstorming, I ordered up a MIK plate and pulled a cutting board out of the cupboard. I've done this in the past with cutting boards. I also have a car audio habit and they're great for making speaker adapters as they're strong and don't mind moisture.

This is a working prototype. I think the board is a little too thin, but I'm going to spend some time with it and see if I want to make one out of a thicker board.

Tracing out the rough shape on the board. Drilled holes for the plate and marked the locations of the straps (they're not symmetrical)

20230708_154744.jpg

The basic idea

20230708_154758.jpg

I thought I'd do this with the multi tool, but the only bit I could round up is too big. Found moar tools I need :)

20230708_154852.jpg

Figured maybe the rotary tool would be a good fit, but the discs are also too big. Moar tools :)

20230708_154945.jpg

These fit though :)

Had to pre-drill holes, but it turned out to be the right tool. And for more than one reason. The other 2 tools are going to melt the plastic, but using a slower speed on the jigsaw and a nice new blade, I didn't have to deal with melting plastic.

20230708_155001.jpg

20230708_155746.jpg

When I'm not carrying the JandD, I can put other stuff on here - lots more flat surface. I probably won't, but it's nice to have that utility available.

20230708_160214.jpg

With the bag. It moves around WAY less like this..far more stable than directly on the rack

20230708_160315.jpg

Flipped over. This is super nice 'cause I can reach under and flick the lock and take the bag with me easily. No need to mess with the straps on and off - that's a bit clumsy.

20230708_160423.jpg

The existing handle on the board is convenient for carrying. There's another strap on the front I can use as well

20230708_160455.jpg

So that's it - gonna get some miles on this thing and see how it holds up and if I need to bother with a thicker board. So far it seems much sturdier than before. I'll report back at some point as I get some time on this thing :)

20230708_160610.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you.

I also wanted to take a moment and comment on the bag itself. I have maybe 1500 miles on this thing and like it more every time I use it. It's very well made - reminds me a lot of Wolfman motorcycle tank bags but with more whizbangs. You start to notice little details over time and now I'm glad I took the time to look at what was on the market before just buying something.

It really is a well thought out piece with mounting points and straps in all the right places. Pulltabs are particularly useful - especially in gloves or wet hands. The zippers are robust and heavy duty like the rest of the bag - which is mostly Cordura or something similar. Main compartment is generous and padded - would probably even be a decent cooler long enough to get something back from the store. I keep a Goretex jacket and pants, balaclava a 4A charger, snacks, a Milwaukee 12V battery with adapter for charging, cables, and misc conveniences. Oh and my lock for now until I can fix a bottle boss.

I've had no issues with water ingress. The zippers have flaps to keep stuff out. These are not waterproof, but they are behind you, so if you're moving they're not really getting wet. Seems like it would have to rain significantly with the bike just sitting there to start taking on water. But then I can just pop it off quickly and get it out of the rain :) . Mounted directly to a stock Allant rack, or most other racks, it's going to bow in a little, lean, and probably make noise as it rubs the coating off your rack. They need a flat surface. The side pockets could also be a little more generous, but they're useful.

Whoever designed this bag clearly rides bikes. I'm in and out of this thing all the time and it just gets a little better as it wears in. Price was crazy good as I got a 'blemish' model. It took quite a while to even find the blemish, and it's minor. And I really don't care. This isn't a show piece - it's a tool and will be used accordingly. I can't wait to try out some more of their offerings.

Last edited:
Back with a short-term followup after a week of commuting an hour each way.

First thought is - why did I not do this sooner? I hit several birds with one stone here. First and most obvious is the ability to quickly take this with me. Maybe not so obvious is the ease and speed of re-connecting. The handle is working out to be far more utilitarian than imagined, although it could stick out a little further. All the squeaking back there is gone - that was from the straps rubbing the rack. The bag is no longer bowing and leaning to the side - effectively increasing interior volume and giving it a less janky look. It's also much more secure on the flat surface and moves very little.

What would I change? So far not much. As mentioned above, having the carry handle a bit further back would be nice, but it works. It sits under the bag a bit and the flush fit makes it a little tight on the digits. On a next version I'll keep that in mind. Thickness is still fine, but again, next version will be a little thicker. These HDPE boards are not light though, so that's a factor in thicker boards. This one is very light, but flexes a little. It's fine for the 5 pounds or so in my bag, but if I were carrying heavier loads, I think more rigidity would be beneficial. Then again, nothing above the MIK mount is is super rigid, so this flexibility may be a good thing.

One item I thought about changing in a thicker version is using 2 holes for the strap mounts. This one is probably too thin and would tear the space between so I just used one. But a thicker board could allow more mounting holes and potentially anchor points for bungies or sommat.

The flexibility of the platform though is kinda awesome. The MIK mount system appears to be nice and sturdy so far - no noise nor play. The ability to swap larger boards or even something like small milkcrates expands the utility of the idea almost endlessly.

I will be experimenting with more items in the future. The adapter plates are under 20 bucks and super versatile when paired with one of these boards.

Back with a short-term followup after a week of commuting an hour each way.

First thought is - why did I not do this sooner? I hit several birds with one stone here. First and most obvious is the ability to quickly take this with me. Maybe not so obvious is the ease and speed of re-connecting. The handle is working out to be far more utilitarian than imagined, although it could stick out a little further. All the squeaking back there is gone - that was from the straps rubbing the rack. The bag is no longer bowing and leaning to the side - effectively increasing interior volume and giving it a less janky look. It's also much more secure on the flat surface and moves very little.

What would I change? So far not much. As mentioned above, having the carry handle a bit further back would be nice, but it works. It sits under the bag a bit and the flush fit makes it a little tight on the digits. On a next version I'll keep that in mind. Thickness is still fine, but again, next version will be a little thicker. These HDPE boards are not light though, so that's a factor in thicker boards. This one is very light, but flexes a little. It's fine for the 5 pounds or so in my bag, but if I were carrying heavier loads, I think more rigidity would be beneficial. Then again, nothing above the MIK mount is is super rigid, so this flexibility may be a good thing.

One item I thought about changing in a thicker version is using 2 holes for the strap mounts. This one is probably too thin and would tear the space between so I just used one. But a thicker board could allow more mounting holes and potentially anchor points for bungies or sommat.

The flexibility of the platform though is kinda awesome. The MIK mount system appears to be nice and sturdy so far - no noise nor play. The ability to swap larger boards or even something like small milkcrates expands the utility of the idea almost endlessly.

I will be experimenting with more items in the future. The adapter plates are under 20 bucks and super versatile when paired with one of these boards.
Love it when a plan comes together!

You put a lot of thought and design into your solution. I go for easy, e.g., to carry casserole dishes to our block parties I attached an MIK adapter to an appropriately sized plastic bin with cover purchased at Walmart. Similarly, I attached an MIK adapter to the bottom of a milk crate to carry tools. I am also working on another adaption for carrying folding chairs.

The MIK adapter provides lots of options.

Back