Is there a 3rd party higher capacity battery that will fit the Rook/Colt???

AZOldTech

I think header says it all. Cause I was told that the Surface 604 bikes can use 3rd party higher capacity batteries. Have no idea if that is true or not so I'm looking for more info here. Thanks guys.

I've been told (meaning I have not tried to put this battery on the Rook/Colt) that the Magnum Peak battery is a direct drop in replacement for the Rook/Colt bikes at 13ah ($650 at $50/Ah)... HOWEVER, given that you can get an additional 10.4Ah battery direct from Surface604 at $48/Ah, it would be a better deal to get an additional 10.4Ah battery for a total of 20.8Ah and carry it in a bag somewhere on the bike. Not only would be cheaper ($48/Ah vs $50/Ah) but a slight less weight as well.

SPARE battery for those that want longer range with the 10.4Ah stock one : 48V 7.8Ah ($28.65/Ah) - $200 (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
48V 10.4Ah ($48/Ah) - $499 https://surface604bikes.com/products/48v-10-4ah-lithium-ion-battery-for-rook-and-colt-2018
48V 13Ah ($50/Ah) - $650 (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
48V 16Ah ($37.5/Ah) - $599 http://www.voltbike.ca/replacement-parts/electric-bike-parts/li-ion-battery-48v-16ah.html
48V 17.5Ah ($43/Ah) - $750 https://www.hicbattery.com/Dorado-505-Battery-48v-175ah_p_16.html
48V 20Ah ($34.95/Ah) - $699 (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
48V 11Ah ($27.36/Ah) - $301 https://www.dhgate.com/product/free-plus-reention-dorado-48v-battery-pack/427673088.html
48V 17.5Ah ($23.31/Ah) - $407.92 https://www.dhgate.com/product/china-supplier-plus-reention-dorado-battery/425378482.html

If you guys know of any other batteries with higher capacity let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks @Curious George . Very nice find. That's down to $43/Ah... and since I saw from your link the compatibility list showing Voltbike Yukon (2018), I checked Voltbike and they have a 48V 16Ah for $599 which is just $37.5/Ah and currently the cheapest of the bunch. One thing I will do tomorrow is call them and check on the dimensions of the battery, in height mainly, as the Surface604 Rook battery is 18" long and 4" tall. And the height has some limitations because of the step-thru top tube.
http://www.voltbike.ca/replacement-parts/electric-bike-parts/li-ion-battery-48v-16ah.html

Last edited:
Thanks @Curious George . Very nice find. That's down to $43/Ah... and since I saw from your link the compatibility list showing Voltbike Yukon (2018), I checked Voltbike and they have a 48V 16Ah for $599 which is just $37.5/Ah and currently the cheapest of the bunch. One thing I will do tomorrow is call them and check on the dimensions of the battery, in height mainly, as the Surface604 Rook battery is 18" long and 4" tall. And the height has some limitations because of the step-thru top tube.
http://www.voltbike.ca/replacement-parts/electric-bike-parts/li-ion-battery-48v-16ah.html
Hi Larry, let us know on whether the Voltbike battery will fit the Rook. I have a 2017 version and am also looking for a new battery. Txs.

Hi Larry, let us know on whether the Voltbike battery will fit the Rook. I have a 2017 version and am also looking for a new battery. Txs.
I've sent an email to them asking the question as I could not get them on the phone Friday. I have not heard back yet. I will try them again Monday and let you guys know.

BTW, how many miles did you put on that 2017 Rook to need a new battery? Does it only give you a much lower percentage range than it gave you when it was brand new? How many full charges would you say you've done to the battery? That may tell us something about the quality of the cells in those batteries. Thanks.

I've sent an email to them asking the question as I could not get them on the phone Friday. I have not heard back yet. I will try them again Monday and let you guys know.

BTW, how many miles did you put on that 2017 Rook to need a new battery? Does it only give you a much lower percentage range than it gave you when it was brand new? How many full charges would you say you've done to the battery? That may tell us something about the quality of the cells in those batteries. Thanks.

I have over 1700 miles on my 2017 Rook. It does not need a new battery yet since I can still get over 30 miles between charge. I am just looking for options to get a higher capacity 48v battery which will fit the Rook. When I am charging the battery, I hooked the charger to a Kill a Watt meter to get a KWH reading for the distances I rode. I can see the miles/kwh is decreasing since I bought the bike in 2017.

I have over 1700 miles on my 2017 Rook. It does not need a new battery yet since I can still get over 30 miles between charge. I am just looking for options to get a higher capacity 48v battery which will fit the Rook. When I am charging the battery, I hooked the charger to a Kill a Watt meter to get a KWH reading for the distances I rode. I can see the miles/kwh is decreasing since I bought the bike in 2017.
Thanks for the info. Myself I'm thinking of investing on a Cycle Satiator charger (very pricey - around $300 - but I've been told it's worth it) as it's built like a tank and will fast charge any ebike battery pack (now and into the future) and also prolong its life.
Review: Cycle Satiator - A better ebike charger
http://www.ebikeschool.com/review-cycle-satiator-better-ebike-charger/

Hi Larry, did you find out whether the Voltbike battery will fit into the 604 Rook? Thanks

Hi Larry, did you find out whether the Voltbike battery will fit into the 604 Rook? Thanks
I have send 3 emails, called numerous times all week and have been unable to get an answer. Either they are very busy with orders flooding in or nobody cares to find out (go out and measure one). I even do not have an answer on a refurbished bike that I asked 2 weeks ago, even though I was told it will be the "next day". Sounds to me they are extremely busy, overworked or short-stuffed, But I will keep trying.

Last edited:
I finally got someone on the phone who was willing to go and measure the Yukon 750 16Ah 2018 edition battery. And here is the verdict: it should fit. He measured 10cm high (4in) and 46cm (18in) length. I say "should" cause until someone orders one and tries it we will not know for sure 100%. But I would say 95% those measurements should fit the Surface 604 Rook.

I finally got someone on the phone who was willing to go and measure the Yukon 750 16Ah 2018 edition battery. And here is the verdict: it should fit. He measured 10cm high (4in) and 46cm (18in) length. I say "should" cause until someone orders one and tries it we will not know for sure 100%. But I would say 95% those measurements should fit the Surface 604 Rook.
Does it matter if the Battery Management System inside the battery is different for the Yukon and the Rook?

Does it matter if the Battery Management System inside the battery is different for the Yukon and the Rook?
It shouldn't matter. The BMS (any BMS) is mainly there to protect the battery when charging and discharging. And for all I know both batteries could be made by the same vendor (Reention). So it should not matter.

Good find Larry. How safe and reliable is it to buy directly from China? Are you still looking or buy from this vendor?
Where do you think all the US/Canada ebike "manufacturers" are buying from? It's all made in China. We just cut out the extra profit to the middle man for a commodity accessory and go directly to the source.

Last edited:
Where do you think all the US/Canada ebike "manufacturers" are buying from? It's all made in China. We just cut out the extra profit to the middle man for a commodity accessory and go directly to the source.
Thanks. Let us know when you pull the trigger on buying the battery.

My local ebike shop carries both Magnum and Surface 604 bikes. I tested my Surface 604 Rook with the Magnum Peak 48V 13Ah battery and it fits and powers the bike. I believe any 505mm Dorado 48V batteries of larger capacities will work on the Rook/Colt.

you are making a rather risky assumption, that all those cells in each of the batteries you mention are of the same quality and life cycle. They could each have different cell sizes, and charge and discharge characteristics, and not just dis-similar brands. the cells from DH gate could very easily be of lesser quality, and wrapped with a panasonic or samsung label. The chinese are VERY good at that.

Back