Introducing the Frey CC Fat

brake034

Region
Asia
Frey is releasing the Frey CC Fat and has a special crowdfunding campaign with a 500 US$ discount for bikes 1-50 and 300 US$ for bikes 50-100. After this campaign the normal price is 4.980 US$.
mmexport300ae6da67d13c942cb8136a96d56a0e_1650417218027.jpeg

I ended up reserving one of these. I had narrowed down my choices to a Frey AM1000 V6 or EX, or maybe even the Watt Wagons Hydra Black. Even though I'm not an experienced mountain biker, I wanted to get out on some of the great mountain biking trails near my home. But if I'm being honest, I'll probably be using it more around town, maybe down to the beach, grabbing groceries, cruising around with my wife and daughter (hopefully with some sort of child seat), etc. And I hope I can still use it occasionally on the trails even if it's a little heavier/more cumbersome than a purpose-built eMTB (getting more than one bike is not an option right now). So I needed more of a jack of all trades, even if it is not necessarily a master of any one. Hopefully this will fit the bill!

From anyone that has ordered from Frey, are there any upgrades add-ons that you would recommend beyond what they ostensibly offer? I ordered the rear rack, front/rear lights, mud guards, and dropper seat post. It comes with the Shimano Alivio 9s transmission, and I tried to upgrade that to Deore or higher, but they would not do it, saying that anything else was too hard for them to get. Would it make sense to order a spare battery? I was kind of hoping the new 1008WH battery that is coming with this bike would be enough.

Anyone know what the top speed is?

And looking at the details am I right in thinking the AM1000 batteries also fit this model?

It’s looks a great spec bike with an improved battery over the original model and I am tempted by it. All I wish is they added four mounting points to the head tube for an optional front basket.

Wow, they switched to free shipping worldwide, it used to add alot of extra cost to the Ebike.
FiwalBgwdjyZTQCKBtSP6CctC1_X.jpg

80 lbs too heavy..
It's about 10 lbs heavier than it's smaller brother, but then again bigger longer running battery 21ah vs 17.5ah

Interesting factoid each single amp/hr can give you about 20% more run time than the previous number.
And If you double your amp/hrs you can usually double your work project jobs on a single battery.
Since each cell doesn’t have to work as hard, it’s able to work more than twice as long.
Bottom line; getting more amp hours on an Ebike is usually worth it.

I got a notice yesterday saying, "Your order is in the production process, bike frames have been assembled and adjusted." So presumably, production is moving along. I was also able to upgrade the transmission from the standard SRAM X5 to SRAM NX 11S. Probably don't really need the extra gears, but I'm hoping the slightly higher end transmission might be a bit nicer to use and more durable.

Received my bike today--cool looking bike. It is a beast! I'm not a bike builder, but assembly seemed pretty straight forward. Took it for a test drive, and went pretty easy with it, since I did not want to stress test my novice bike assembly skills too heavily yet. But it seemed to handle my steep streets with relative ease. Lots more to test and discover since this is my first ebike and first fat bike.

Took out the bike for a 45 mile ride yesterday. I pretty much kept it in Eco Mode Level 5 the whole time. Started with a full charge, and by the time I had ridden 26 miles, it was down to 9%. I had to find a plug in a park and recharge. I did not use the throttle at all, but in fairness, the first third of the trip was up some very steep hills/trails. Though the last two thirds was on paved roads. After charging to 92%, I went another 19 miles or so, which drained it to 12%. I kept it in Eco mode, but I was getting tired and did use the throttle for part of this leg, which was all paved streets.

All in all, it was great fun, and I'm pleased with how the bike performed. I went up some steep trails and covered a distance that would not have been manageable without the assist. It was still quite a workout and the power was not overkill, even on level 5. My one disappointment was that I wished it would have gotten a little bit better range for having such a large/heavy battery.

As I said above, I upgraded to the 11 speed transmission (as opposed to the standard 9 speed). I'm not sure if the extra two gears are on the shorter side or the taller side, but I'm glad I got them. I like to be able to go up really steep inclines, so if I can get a shorter gear, then hopefully that places less strain on the chain (and easier to peddle-assist).

When I was on bike trails and bike paths, I was probably only going 10-15 mph, in the middle gears, since it wasn't the right place to break any speed records. When I got out by myself on a flat stretch of paved road, in the tallest gear, and pedaling pretty hard, it seemed to top out around 25 mph, without any throttle. If I applied throttle on flat pavement, in the tallest gear, it is capable of exceeding 30 mph. On a very slight decline, it got up to 34 mph. I only did this where I was by myself on a paved bike lane directly adjacent to a road with a 60 mph speed limit--when cars are going by you that fast, it actually felt a little safer to go faster.

The one thing I'm realizing is that all of the cool mountain bike trails near my house do not allow ebikes. After using the ebike, I'm certain these are the stupidest rules that have been ill-conceived by people who are not thinking it through, and mountain bike purists that want to prevent more people from enjoying "their" trails. While the bike is obviously capable of going very fast in the right conditions (paved road, level ground, straight shot), there's no way you would ever do that on a mountain bike trail. In most cases, the guys with the super lightweight standard mountain bikes are going WAY faster downhill than I could ever manage on this heavy bike. And going uphill, maybe they are going 3 mph, and since I have electric assist, I might be able to go 5 mph (despite my lack of spandex shorts). So if I want to get off-road much, I'm going to have to pick times when it's not crowded and just flaunt the rules, risking a fine. Or be confined to the road. Oh well...

Took out the bike for a 45 mile ride yesterday. I pretty much kept it in Eco Mode Level 5 the whole time. Started with a full charge, and by the time I had ridden 26 miles, it was down to 9%. I had to find a plug in a park and recharge. I did not use the throttle at all, but in fairness, the first third of the trip was up some very steep hills/trails. Though the last two thirds was on paved roads. After charging to 92%, I went another 19 miles or so, which drained it to 12%. I kept it in Eco mode, but I was getting tired and did use the throttle for part of this leg, which was all paved streets.

All in all, it was great fun, and I'm pleased with how the bike performed. I went up some steep trails and covered a distance that would not have been manageable without the assist. It was still quite a workout and the power was not overkill, even on level 5. My one disappointment was that I wished it would have gotten a little bit better range for having such a large/heavy battery.
If you don't mind sharing, what is your weight (and were you in ECO PAS 5 for most of it or what level did you spend the most time in)? I'm currently shopping and I think the AM1000 and Ultra CC FAT are working their way to the top of my short list, currently (and am trying to gauge real world range and how those two models compare/contrast). Thanks.

EDIT: and if you are aware, can you confirm you received a UART motor? (display connection for UART is round and CANBUS has a more oblong shape). I heard Frey is still mostly sourcing UART, but wanted to confirm.

Last edited:
I'm about 175 lbs, and I was in ECO PAS 5 for pretty much the entire time.

I will have to double check the UART vs CANBUS. Pretty sure it is the round connector associated with UART though.

I will have to double check the UART vs CANBUS. Pretty sure it is the round connector associated with UART though.
Thanks, I was able to confirm w/ Frey that all of their bikes (at the time of last check) were UART w/ the exception of their 60v 'Beast' bike.

Back