Hydra has landed!

image.jpg

Bling…

@Lsthrz I hate you for getting the green cage! A reminder of my own failure when ordering my frame. I came to regret getting blue before it even shipped, I should have gone glossy green so I could name my bike The Green Bastard... the Magura & DVO hardware woul have matched too... next build!

Note when you install the cogs, make sure the side where the 'stepping' goes the whole length of the... thingy... on the gear - the sides facing you in the picture - are installed facing outward away from the cassette. I installed them the other way around and noticed the big pulley could rub a little against the little lip in the cage.

The chainring on my Hydra is 42T. As per a post by Cuz Vinny, earlier bikes came with a 44T. This could explain the recent bout of chainstay damage.

The chainring on my Hydra is 42T. As per a post by Cuz Vinny, earlier bikes came with a 44T. This could explain the recent bout of chainstay damage.
And did the 44t experience the same log cog chain skip the the new bikes have?

Probably won't fit on the 8100 - not listed on there at least. If the length, axlie diameter/length/pitch, pulley position, and stopper pin placement are the same then you could try it out, but you definitely want to check for interference through the range of motion. The cage is a crazy close fit on the 8000 already

And did the 44t experience the same log cog chain skip the the new bikes have?
I don't recall skipping complaints from the summer batch. I don't think they had the extra wide cassette. The chainring wouldn't affect cassette skipping.

Just rode 24 miles on some paved trails with two friends on their carbon fiber road bikes, went from 80% battery to 50% battery. Not bad at all! I was in eco 1 and 2 for most of the ride.

I only had issues skipping once when I was pedaling hard in the highest gear with high assist to catch up to one of them. Otherwise things are going pretty well, rides nicely on pavement with the suspension lockouts enabled!

I don't recall skipping complaints from the summer batch. I don't think they had the extra wide cassette. The chainring wouldn't affect cassette skipping.
I’m just thinking circle size might have an effect on how the chain wraps. Looking forward to seeing the 8100 installed and it’s impact.

I’m just thinking circle size might have an effect on how the chain wraps. Looking forward to seeing the 8100 installed and it’s impact.
You're right. A larger chainring would give you less wrap around the cassette. I should have said the difference in that amount between 42T and 44T chainrings would be negligible.

I didn't realize my derailleur hanger was bent during shipping until I put the M8100 on. I had to straighten it for perfect shifting. So, beware that the M8100 is less forgiving of misalignment.

Last edited:
Another couple of pictures of the spacing in lowest gear, it's pretty close but I didn't notice any issues and I hardly ever use that gear anyways lol. Thanks to all for the help in solving these issues. Hopefully I'll have some rain free days over the break to enjoy it but I'm not holding my breath.

I just rode it for maybe 6 or 7 miles and had zero skips. Climbed some big hills effortlessly and just enjoyed riding it through the woods and on some streets nearby. Absolutely loving how it rides now!

20211123_152934.jpg

20211123_152951.jpg

Last edited:
That’s amazing news @kwseattle! Just becuse I have to hear it, you are using the 11t cog at speed without any skipping? Would you remind me on how much you pushed the front chain ring out again?

I’m sitting on the Garbaruk cage and pulleys and the M8100 has arrived as well. Two options to test.

That’s amazing news @kwseattle! Just becuse I have to hear it, you are using the 11t cog at speed without any skipping? Would you remind me on how much you pushed the front chain ring out again?

I’m sitting on the Garbaruk cage and pulleys and the M8100 has arrived as well. Two options to test.
Yes, using the 11t at full speed, pedaling hard, full assist in sport 5! No skips! I hit speeds I'm not allowed to discuss lol.

I flipped the front chainring to the outside of the spider, and added a 2.5mm spacer from Wickwerks (https://wickwerks.com/products/1x-chainline-spacers/) between the chainring and the spider. I added a second set of 2.5mm spacers on the outside so I could keep the chain guard. I found some 16mm chainring bolts on Amazon that I'm using.

In other news, I got two quotes for bike insurance (for damage/theft) for the Hydra.

Velosurance was $55 (!) a month and Merkel was $45 a month. Not sure if I can stomach paying almost as much for insuring a bike as I do insuring my car where WAY more liability is at stake. I was expecting like $15 a month or something.

Velosurance was $55 (!) a month and Merkel was $45 a month. Not sure if I can stomach paying almost as much for insuring a bike as I do insuring my car where WAY more liability is at stake. I was expecting like $15 a month or something.
Have you checked if your home insurance covers it?

My insurance (AAA) told me that my bike is covered for theft as part of my home insurance belongings, and my liability is covered as part of my home and auto insurance liability

Last edited:
Ahhhh- Please use caution as the “Home Owners” is only valid if it is a standard “analog” bicycle and is subject to your deductible. Anything with a “battery”or “motor” will require a separate policy…. (AAA, All State, State Farm, Geico, etc.)

Will be reporting more about insurance in my Hydra Adventures once I get my serial number. My number near motor mount got painted over and I’m not terribly interested in removing the fork yet to get to the second number in the head tube….
-BB

I was very specific about the fact that it was an electric bike when I discussed the issue with the AAA agent, but given your answer I will do a second pass in writing :)

Unfortunately, many insurance agents don’t know what an electric bicycle is, let alone a Hydra; as it really is a motor driven cycle!!!! I have literally spent hours discussing this with my insurance agent, several members of her staff, as well as corporate. Gets all muddled with trying to convert Watts to Cubic Centimeters…
The wrong time to find you are not properly insured is when something goes wrong. And make sure you read your policy… (hint hint!)
-BB

edit- and will Home Owners cover liability if you are at fault???

Both homeowner and car provide Liability insurance, but I hear you and agree that with insurance making it crystal clear beforehand is the way to go :)

Back