Hydra has landed!

Quick update. Decided to install the Garbaruk cage and pulley system just to see impact. I still need to do a lot of adjustments to the derailleur but snuck a quick test ride in and seemed promising. 20 - 24mph with just a skip here or there. Looking forward to getting it dialed in.

BBE2FCE8-F5A3-417A-A044-183FD6EA3214.jpeg
726FE365-9D01-438F-AB47-1523CD614DBB.jpeg

06B413CB-035B-4743-9FB9-55B230364292.jpeg

Quick update. Decided to install the Garbaruk cage and pulley system just to see impact. I still need to do a lot of adjustments to the derailleur but snuck a quick test ride in and seemed promising. 20 - 24mph with just a skip here or there. Looking forward to getting it dialed in.

View attachment 107761View attachment 107762

View attachment 107763
Wow I love that green cage! The eBay seller I ordered mine from only had black, but I would've ordered green if I could have so it would match my paint.

You need to adjust your B screw a bunch to get better wrap around the smallest gear. That will help significantly and was what finally fixed the problem for me. I stopped when I started losing tension on the bottom.

Also what bike stand is that? I need *something* to prop up my bike for working on it, right now I just pick it up and move the pedals with my other hand - not ideal.

I just rode another 15 miles today, ZERO skips. I rode a mile or so of trail through the woods, then the rest on roads (with some steep hills) and paved bike paths. Took my battery from 80% down to 30%. I'd say that's fair given my steep hill climbs with level 2-3 assist. Still waiting on Innotrace, but I really want to lower the assist levels in 2-5 because just assist 1 is 500 watts on the meter. Level 2 goes up to 1000w, and level 3 1500w.

Last edited:
Have you checked if your home insurance covers it?

My insurance (AAA) told me that my bike is covered for theft as part of my home insurance belongings, and my liability is covered as part of my home and auto insurance liability
As far as I can tell, Safeco has no public documentation that I can find regarding e-bike coverage. I will have to reach out to the agent.

Small admission, I'm living with my parents temporarily until I graduate with my second degree so I'd have to file it under their policy.

It's been 3 weeks since I registered my X1 Tool account. 2 weeks since WW looked into the verification delay. 1 week since WW started ignoring me. I hope Innotrace is just on a long vacation. Their software is quite well protected against cracking.

Wow I love that green cage! The eBay seller I ordered mine from only had black, but I would've ordered green if I could have so it would match my paint.

You need to adjust your B screw a bunch to get better wrap around the smallest gear. That will help significantly and was what finally fixed the problem for me. I stopped when I started losing tension on the bottom.

Also what bike stand is that? I need *something* to prop up my bike for working on it, right now I just pick it up and move the pedals with my other hand - not ideal.

I just rode another 15 miles today, ZERO skips. I rode a mile or so of trail through the woods, then the rest on roads (with some steep hills) and paved bike paths. Took my battery from 80% down to 30%. I'd say that's fair given my steep hill climbs with level 2-3 assist. Still waiting on Innotrace, but I really want to lower the assist levels in 2-5 because just assist 1 is 500 watts on the meter. Level 2 goes up to 1000w, and level 3 1500w.
Yea, I have a lot of adjustment to do. Just glad even just ‘slapping it on’ has made things more positive. Really the first time I’ve ever touched a derailleur so working through it. Appreciate the good work you and @TDA78 have put into fixing this issue on the Hydra.

Ibera Easy Utility Bicycle Stand,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7ZO3GE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Cheap stand…

Last edited:
Yea, I have a lot of adjustment to do. Just glad even just ‘slapping it on’ has made things more positive. Really the first time I’ve ever touched a derailleur so working through it. Appreciate the good work you and @TDA78 have put into fixing this issue on the Hydra.

Ibera Easy Utility Bicycle Stand,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7ZO3GE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Cheap stand…
Thanks!

Check out this Park Tool video on Derailleur adjustment, this got me in working order! He didn't go super in depth on B screw but I just ended up adjusting it a ton until I started losing tension on the bottom, like I mentioned. It was very helpful for limit screws and indexing though!

Thanks!

Check out this Park Tool video on Derailleur adjustment, this got me in working order! He didn't go super in depth on B screw but I just ended up adjusting it a ton until I started losing tension on the bottom, like I mentioned. It was very helpful for limit screws and indexing though!

Great video tip, thanks.

Edit: At least now I can understand more of what you guys are talking about. :)

Ok… it’s done for now. Flipped the chainring to the outside of the spider which definitely helps with the chain stay rub. Spacers to retain the chain guard. Sort of by accident ended up replacing the bafang 44t chainring with the Wolftooth 44t which is a lot lighter - not that it matters. Garbaruk cage and pulleys…

After a better test ride I would say that although the bike still isn’t completely happy when using the 11t cog, it’s very much improved, and with a little more fine tuning the skipping will be hardly noticeable. Thanks to all who helped here and contributed experience and knowledge @kwseattle @TDA78 @loamoaf and @Deacon Blues

on the trails tomorrow with a little luck 👍

I know that my UC Pro is a different bike, but I'm in the same situation as you. Adding the fat spider and smaller cassette the chain only skips in the smallest cog. Unfortunately, it skips enough that I won't use that cog until I find a cure.
I think I'm going to purchase a Garbaruk cage in the near future to see if that helps.

Thanks Lsthrz. I just ordered a Wolf Tooth 48t chain ring from a Canadian source. I was going to order the 50t, but Pushkar said that the 50t may exacerbate the cross chaining issues, so I'm going with the 48t.

Thanks Lsthrz. I just ordered a Wolf Tooth 48t chain ring from a Canadian source. I was going to order the 50t, but Pushkar said that the 50t may exacerbate the cross chaining issues, so I'm going with the 48t.
Good luck with that. Glad you are getting some input directly from WW.

Back