How to fit a rear rack on a full suspension bike?

bikeman242

How do you install a rear rack on a full suspension bike? Multiple bike shops tell me that it cannot be done. Is that true?

I am planning on buying a FS bike for general comfort and stability. I ride hard packed dirt roads, gravel, and and pavement.

The FS just feels so much better on my back over a rough-road. The bike will basically be a glorified beach cruiser. I go for long rides on rail trails.

I will want to bring a good amount of stuff with me for the ride, and don't want to carry it on my back. Hence, the need for a rack. Other than a $5000 R&M, I can't find anything that ships with a rack. It is impossible to tell for most bikes whether there are mounting holes for a rack. What are my options? Budget is $3500. Must be bosch/shimano/brose/yamaha powered.

What are my options?

you can add a rack to any FS bike. It won't be suspended and
Oldman mountain makes excellent, strudy racks.
@Mike TowpathTraveler has some very coool setups. Feel free to reach out to him. Check this out:

1577590204876.png

1577590238399.png

. Thule Pack 'N Pedal Tour Rack has worked very well for me on my Haibike Full Seven.

I had a bad experience with Thule Pack n pedal. Mainly because the load bearing points are on the seat stay and the the rack would sway to one side when loaded.
But with the oldman mountain racks, the load points are directly on the axle (which can take a lot of load) and hence , higher load rating and a bit more stability.

Last edited:
I had a bad experience with Thule Pack n pedal. Mainly because the load bearing points are on the seat tube and the the rack would sway to one side when loaded.
But with the oldman mountain racks, the load points are directly on the axle (which can take a lot of load) and hence , higher load rating and a bit more stability.
I've never used panniers on Thule Pack N Pedal, maybe that makes a difference. But have ridden single trails with it on, with extra water, extra gloves, and wallet and phone. No trouble with that amount of gear.

I've been looking at the Topeak seat-post mounted racks (see Topeak MTB Beamracks ) and one of their click on bags. I have an all carbon fiber full suspension bike and don't feel right attaching anything to the carbon swing arm. Better to attach to the aluminum seat post in my view.

Check photo for the rack on my fs bike. Can’t remember the brand but can check if you want. PS- the bike is for sale

Attachments

• 884688D6-A724-411B-BF8B-888E9172FC38.jpeg
    884688D6-A724-411B-BF8B-888E9172FC38.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 2,502
I think what puzzles me is that one of the big "marketing" Pros of a rear suspension ebike with a mid-motor is much less un-sprung weight so the rear suspension has better dynamic performance. Putting bike racks with 25kg rated weight limits on the swing arm just negates that aspect of mid vs hub motor.

In reality the lower un-sprung weight only makes a difference on mtn bikes where keeping that rear wheel in constant contact with the ground is vital (suspensions on mtn bikes are less about comfort than they are about dynamic response for traction and control).

I started a recent thread asking if a suspension was really important on an urban ebike given that much higher air volume tires are available for urban riding.

I've got a dropper post on my full suspension bike. Is it crazy to think about attaching a seat post rack to it? I wouldn't attach it to the moving part - see this mock-up below:

RackOnDropper.jpg

I won't be carrying a lot of weight - probably just a tube, tire irons, patch kit, & something to eat. I'm worried that putting too much compression on the fixed part of the dropper post will interfere with the dropper action.

Thoughts?

you can add a rack to any FS bike. It won't be suspended and
Oldman mountain makes excellent, sturdy racks.

I agree with going with the Old Man Mountain if you can. I'll explain.

I placed an order for one for my BH Atom X Lynx 5. They got back to me for verification of thru axle bolt length and thread pitch. I was ok for the axle length, but BH, at least my bike, uses a 1.0 thread pitch and the more common pitch is 1.75 for split axles. So, for me it was a no go. I was bummed.

Ended up with an Arkel Seatpacker 9. In retrospect it turned out to be the better choice for my trunk bag sized needs.

BillH: Old Man Mountain was bought out by The Robert Axle Project. Not sure of your rear axle diameter, but I see they list a 12mm rear axle in various lengths; from 172mm long, 167mm and 160mm. These axles are made to fit their racks. Link: https://oldmanmountain.com/product/...mm-thread-pitch-and-167-160-or-154-mm-length/

Smorgasboard: I too would question attaching that seat post mounted rack on a dropper post. For one thing, you need to reef down on the attaching bolts pretty good to prevent the rack from fish tailing on you.

Before I settled on the front and rear Old Man Mountain Racks, I went for a good long time running a front OMM rack to fit my side panniers and a rear seat post rack and bag.

I settled on the Portland Design Works Bindle Rack with the Revelate Designs Terrapin dry bag, which is designed to fit and work with the PDW rack. It worked just fine, then again, I don't have a dropper seat post as you do. But the main thing is, you are really constrained on what you can bring along. On a warm day going long distance, I like to carry extra water, my ultralite seat to rest up in as well as the standard air pump, tire patching kit and spare fat bike tire tube. And that back is pushing the limits on the amount of stuff you can carry. For your purposes, it sounds like it would work.

But beware: Reaching full tire shock compression, my back tire would hit the bag where it fits on the seat post in the below picture. Your ideas of putting your rack even lower then what I have will definitely result in the rear tire hitting your rack.

Attachments

• 100_2127.jpg
    100_2127.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,219
  • 100_2702.JPG
    100_2702.JPG
    645.9 KB · Views: 913
  • 100_2703.JPG
    100_2703.JPG
    732.1 KB · Views: 885
Seems like it'd be really hard to swing a leg over the Arkel loaded up that way.
In that stock photo it's angled pretty high. Depends on back seat stay angle. Mine is not nearly as vertical as the one in the photo. My bag actually sits only an inch above the top of the seat, and I have a small frame which is an easy enough 28" step over height. That picture is also of the 15L bag, I got the 9L.

BillH: Old Man Mountain was bought out by The Robert Axle Project. Not sure of your rear axle diameter, but I see they list a 12mm rear axle in various lengths; from 172mm long, 167mm and 160mm. These axles are made to fit their racks. Link: https://oldmanmountain.com/product/...mm-thread-pitch-and-167-160-or-154-mm-length/

Smorgasboard: I too would question attaching that seat post mounted rack on a dropper post. For one thing, you need to reef down on the attaching bolts pretty good to prevent the rack from fish tailing on you.

I was aware of the buy out. My bike has a 12mm x 200mm axle. During our back-and-forth conversation they admitted to being a niche product and simply could not accommodate every configuration out there, mine being one of them sadly.

The Arkel has a bracket attached to seat stays and braced to seat post. There is no side sway at all with this bag and it is designed to work with dropper posts, albeit with 1" of dropper length lost.

Edit: Meant to comment on aspect of bag size. You're right Mike I'm limited with 9L, pretty much essentials and a few extras. I use the Arkel trunk bag on another bike, it works for what I need but yeah, tight fit at times. The Seatpacker has similar volume.

I have 5" of rear travel on my bike and bottom of bag to top of tire is also right at 5". The dropper deployed = tire rub for sure.

BTW....love the FullFat6
1577832804288.png

Last edited:
But beware: Reaching full tire shock compression, my back tire would hit the bag where it fits on the seat post in the below picture. Your ideas of putting your rack even lower then what I have will definitely result in the rear tire hitting your rack.

Yeah, I questioned that as well. There are, however, racks that are elevated above the seat post mounting point. For instance:

ra308a02.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-31-at-3.17.56-PM.jpg

So I think the stress on the dropper post itself is my biggest concern.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 3.17.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 3.17.56 PM.png
    527.3 KB · Views: 518
I agree with going with the Old Man Mountain if you can. I'll explain.

I placed an order for one for my BH Atom X Lynx 5. They got back to me for verification of thru axle bolt length and thread pitch. I was ok for the axle length, but BH, at least my bike, uses a 1.0 thread pitch and the more common pitch is 1.75 for split axles. So, for me it was a no go. I was bummed.

Ended up with an Arkel Seatpacker 9. In retrospect it turned out to be the better choice for my trunk bag sized needs.

I got the same response when I inquired about my BH Rebel Lynx, the thread pitch is uncommon.

Any other ideas for getting a rear rack on my bike?

I got the same response when I inquired about my BH Rebel Lynx, the thread pitch is uncommon.

Any other ideas for getting a rear rack on my bike?
The only other option for a rear rack, other than seat post ones, is the Thule that I could find. It's why I went the way I did.

Maybe now that they have had some additional inquiries they may actually go ahead and make another axle that will accommodate our bikes. Wishful thinking at least.

Back