Homage GX Rohloffs - order placed

Do you know if the rack is capable of taking two Homages? That would be around 60kg right?
Chris, I think the answer is ‘Yes’, providing you load the bikes nose-to-tail. The handlebars are high so it is likely that there won’t be conflict between handlebar and saddle - another good reason for a dropper post.

The two bikes will be approximately 60 kg. Also consider the tow ball capacity (2 bikes + rack).
David

Last edited by a moderator:
The maximum weight for that rack is 60kg. If you remove the batteries, locks, water bottles and bags, you'll be well under the limit. I remove saddles as well...keeps off UV, rain and sticky fingers.

Two accessories to consider:
  • ramp – to make loading each ebike easier;
  • loading wheel (9173) – to make moving the rack easier.
Thule-9173-Velo-Space-Wheel-2.jpg

The only problem I've had is with the rack rotating on the tow ball; a rack for a square-section hitch would solve the problem.

The main reason that I did not choose a folding rack was my concern that it would be difficult to roll the front wheel across the midsection of the rack.

Two accessories to consider:
  • ramp – to make loading each ebike easier;
  • loading wheel (9173) – to make moving the rack easier.
View attachment 29676
The only problem I've had is with the rack rotating on the tow ball; a rack for a square-section hitch would solve the problem.

The main reason that I did not choose a folding rack was my concern that it would be difficult to roll the front wheel across the midsection of the rack.
I have the easyfold 2. I never use the ramp. Perhaps in a few years. For now, lifting my Homage up on the ranch is no strain. Also I stabilize the whole assembly with a pair of nylon straps attached at the u-bar on the rack

20190113_092442.jpg

1. On Monday I went around to Electric Bikes Brisbane to meet my new ebike but resisted the temptation to take it home immediately. First, a change of tyres: Rock Razors (60-584) replaced by Marathon Plus MTBs (57-584). To the last, I was concerned that I was making a mistake in not even trying R&M's choice of rubber. Doubts were dispelled when, on Tuesday, I collected the Homage plus two decidedly flimsy Rock Razors.
  2. Next: goodbye to the supplied pedals. After just one short test ride, I was ready for a change to Pedaling Innovation's Catalysts. Thank you to Richard for introducing me to them.
  3. I'll have to admit to riding the Trek Powerfly on Wednesday (for the first time in a long while without its Catalyst pedals!); there was no way that I was going to head off into the summer heat without a water bottle. Afterwards, a Fidlock water bottle was fitted to the Homage's handlebar. I like the Fidlock system because the strong magnets on the mount 'grab' the bottle and stow it securely. Removing the bottle is done with a slight clockwise twist.
  4. Handlebar bag: Ortlieb Ultimate6 Pro. (Again following Richard's example.) The special Kiox handlebar stem is 61 mm wide - just too wide for the supplied Ortlieb mount. The KlickFix ebike mount that I've used is somewhat oversized but will keep the bag well in front of the cabling spaghetti junction.
  5. Mirror: Mirrycle, of course.
  6. Phone mount: Quadlock. More dithering (unresolved) on how to connect the iPhone (Lightning) to the Kiox (USB Micro).
  7. Dropper post: KS Dropzone 75 mm.
  8. Rack bag: Topeak with a Racktime adapter. Here I encountered a big problem and had to expend much time cogitating and, eventually, in drilling holes through the Topeak bag to reposition the Racktime holder further forward… resulting in the bag moving farther aft in relation to the rack (disaster averted!). That beautiful Abus Bordo Alarm lock is just too big and extends into the trunk bag's rightful domain. In the photo with Humpty and Droopy Ears (taken before aforementioned cogitation and drilling), you can see that the lock is missing. Oh, how I wish that the Homage could be fitted with a frame lock!
… David
Hi David, you mention a rack bag: Topeak bag with a Racktime adapter. Is this the Topeak TrunkBag EX-Velcro? Did you attach the Racktime SnapIt adapter yourself or did it come with one? I currently have an Ortlieb Racktime bag but it is too small and I am looking for a larger bag, one like the Topeak. The Topeak looks pretty good, especially since it has a water bottle holder which my Homage desperately needs.

Given @David Berry 's observations about the Kiox and the fact that I like to have a longer and adjustable angle stem to allow a bit more horizontal riding posture I am ordering mine with the Intuvia display. It will be replaced immediately by a Nyon a truly mature and well developed, though not perfect disply/contol panel. The wifi upload of detailed ride data and seamless heart monitor connection alone make it by far the best interface Bosch has offered. You might check with Dave as to his counsel and if possible modify your order.

Last edited:
Hi David, you mention a rack bag: Topeak bag with a Racktime adapter. Is this the Topeak TrunkBag EX-Velcro? Did you attach the Racktime SnapIt adapter yourself or did it come with one The Topeak looks pretty good, especially since it has a water bottle holder which my Homage desperately needs.
Yes, that's the bag – velcro tags replaced by a Racktime Snapit adaptor (fitted by me). The water bottle holder is a boon, especially on rides like yesterday's up Mt Glorious where water comes from a tank or in bottles at café prices. On shorter rides with known fill-up points the bottle carrier holds a sealable stay-hot coffee mug.

You might check with Dave as to his counsel and if possible modify your order.
The Kiox was released before it was ready. If a car manufacturer tried a similar trick, they'd probably have a class action mounted against them.

Even if the Kiox is made acceptably workable during 2019, my trust in both Bosch and R&M has been broken.

Back