Homage 2 month review

Clamps

Hey all.
So I've been riding my Homage Rohloff dual battery just about every day for 2 months. Put over 1200km on it so far.

I have some thoughts for anyone looking to buy one of these.

First off, this is an AMAZING bike. The range, the big fat back-end with capacity for all the cargo I'd wanna carry for now. Maybe one day I'll need a cargo bike, but for now this is perfect.
The Rohloff is fantastic, but it has issues....

I changed the tires to the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial front and rear. Really gives a sense of confidence on any surface I would take this bike on.
I went through 4 seats finding one that suited my butt. I'm sure the default seat that comes with the bike is fine, but it didn't work for me. Added a mirror and a phone mount for navigation (the Nyon navigation is so bad), and a few snack bags for nibblies and a walkie-talkie for comms with my wife as we tour.

The bike is a pleasure to ride. It's a bit of a boat, sure, but at 30+kg, that's to be expected. I jacked up the handlebars and sit like a king. So much fun. And the rear suspension and the seat I have now make it feel like I'm riding a sofa or something.

There are, however, some issues.
The gear selector button ring thingy for the Rohloff is just awful. It feels like a cheap piece of plastic with two micro switches in it, and the ergonomics suck. I'm 3D printing a lever that might help, but I don't have it yet.
The contortions I have to put my hand through to change gears has given me wrist pain. I'm hoping the printed lever will resolve that issue.

The Suntour rear shock died after 6 weeks. Spent a week in the shop getting that replaced. I'm really thinking of just upgrading to something less prone to failure.

I replaced the pedals, but there was nothing wrong with the default ones. I just like the spikey platforms I'm used to.

That's about it, unless anyone has any questions.

I just received my new homage. Haven taken ot out of the box yet. I would be intrested in the file for printing your solution to the control button. I not sure I am ever going to ride mine. I decided to sell it in order to get the superdelite. Depends on the standover heights on the small superdelite.

The Homage (wife’s) is such a plush ride, more so than my Superdelite Mountain. I only wish the Homage came with the Fox upgrade like my Superdelite. You definitely sit like a king on a Homage.

NicolaI MTB produce a Rohloff shifter dropper bar/adapter for the E14. That might help with a more ergonomic position for the shifter?

Hey all.
So I've been riding my Homage Rohloff dual battery just about every day for 2 months. Put over 1200km on it so far.

First off, this is an AMAZING bike. The range, the big fat back-end with capacity for all the cargo I'd wanna carry for now. Maybe one day I'll need a cargo bike, but for now this is perfect.

I changed the tires to the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial front and rear. Really gives a sense of confidence on any surface I would take this bike on.
I went through 4 seats finding one that suited my butt. I'm sure the default seat that comes with the bike is fine, but it didn't work for me. Added a mirror and a phone mount for navigation (the Nyon navigation is so bad), and a few snack bags for nibblies and a walkie-talkie for comms with my wife as we tour.

The bike is a pleasure to ride. It's a bit of a boat, sure, but at 30+kg, that's to be expected. I jacked up the handlebars and sit like a king. So much fun. And the rear suspension and the seat I have now make it feel like I'm riding a sofa or something.

The gear selector button ring thingy for the Rohloff is just awful. It feels like a cheap piece of plastic with two micro switches in it, and the ergonomics suck. I'm 3D printing a lever that might help, but I don't have it yet.
The contortions I have to put my hand through to change gears has given me wrist pain. I'm hoping the printed lever will resolve that issue.

The Suntour rear shock died after 6 weeks. Spent a week in the shop getting that replaced. I'm really thinking of just upgrading to something less prone to failure.

I replaced the pedals, but there was nothing wrong with the default ones. I just like the spikey platforms I'm used to.

What are the issues with the Rohloff?

6th gear has acted oddly 2 or 3 times, where I change from 7 to 6, and it changes down, bites, and I peddle once or twice... and then the bite seems to vanish, I'm in "neutral" for a second, and then it bites again and all is well.
That and the gear shifting buttons are the WORST.

Hey all.

Thanks for your report. Curious what saddle you ended up with. Not sure I’m in love with the stock saddle either. Got my Homage about the same time you did. Thanks!

I ended up with this
But I'm not sure it's my forever saddle for this bike.

6th gear has acted oddly 2 or 3 times, where I change from 7 to 6, and it changes down, bites, and I peddle once or twice... and then the bite seems to vanish, I'm in "neutral" for a second, and then it bites again and all is well.
That and the gear shifting buttons are the WORST.
it takes several thousand miles to breaking in.

I'm worried these slips and the odd time I've got too much pressure on the pedals as it tries to shift, that I'm wearing or breaking it.

I'm worried these slips and the odd time I've got too much pressure on the pedals as it tries to shift, that I'm wearing or breaking it.
I always stop pedalling momentarily when I change. The change is easily fast enough and the action becomes habitual quickly. Very happy with the Rohloff.

I'm very happy too. And I do stop peddling most of the time. I've started trying to make the tiny pause needed in the stroke into a muscle memory. So I can gear change uphill.

I ended up with this
But I'm not sure it's my forever saddle for this bike.
Thanks! Appreciate the info.

Homage after 2 years:
I believe there is a design flaw in the dual battery, 49 inch Homage which I purchased in September of 2021. The clearance between the rear rack and the rear fender is minimal, specifically 0.75 inches (19 mm) unloaded (no rider, no load on the rear rack) and with 150 (!) psi in the suspension strut (Suntour). The initial manifestation, within weeks after purchase was a cross brace on the MIK rack pushing down on the fender and then the fender attachment bolt inside the fender pressing down on the tire. This created a wonderful abrading sound on bumps. I fixed this by adjusting the fender attachment struts to increase fender-wheel clearance and tightening the strut fixation nuts. This still left an abrasion on the fender:
1695786801688.jpeg

Next, on a big bump, the bolt on the underside of the fixture holding the Abus lock impacted the fender and cracked it:

1695787043591.jpeg

The larger frame sizes should not have this issue due to the much larger clearance between rear fender and rear rack (Abus lock holder removed):

1695787255917.jpeg
1695787449504.jpeg

My bike is on the left. Screen shot from R&M web site on the right (don’t know frame size). Note huge clearance difference between rear rack and rear fender. An alternative explanation is that the rear suspension is FUBAR; however, it flexes appropriately to load though it bangs into the fender. Thoughts, suggestions? ——— PM

ok, I believe this may not be the design flaw you think. I mean it is a flaw, but not the one you're talking about.
I've got 18months on my Homage. Same size as you. Dual battery.
When I first got it, everything was great (except for that stupid gear button from Rholoff) but the rear Suntour shock lost its seal about a month into ownership. I had to take it back to the dealer and get it replaced.
The thing is, when the original one was failing, the rear wheel fit up into the rear rack in exactly the way yours is in that photo. Replacing the rear shock fixed it immediately.
As soon as I can afford it, I'm replacing the rear shock with something better. But my point stands. Get that shock looked at, I'm 99% sure that's your problem.
It may be that in putting 150 psi in there, you popped the (frankly not very good) shock's seals. I'm not saying this is your fault, that Suntour is not a good quality shock.

Last edited:
Homage after 2 years:
I believe there is a design flaw in the dual battery, 49 inch Homage which I purchased in September of 2021. The clearance between the rear rack and the rear fender is minimal, specifically 0.75 inches (19 mm) unloaded (no rider, no load on the rear rack) and with 150 (!) psi in the suspension strut (Suntour). The initial manifestation, within weeks after purchase was a cross brace on the MIK rack pushing down on the fender and then the fender attachment bolt inside the fender pressing down on the tire. This created a wonderful abrading sound on bumps. I fixed this by adjusting the fender attachment struts to increase fender-wheel clearance and tightening the strut fixation nuts. This still left an abrasion on the fender:
View attachment 163395

Next, on a big bump, the bolt on the underside of the fixture holding the Abus lock impacted the fender and cracked it:

View attachment 163396

The larger frame sizes should not have this issue due to the much larger clearance between rear fender and rear rack (Abus lock holder removed):

View attachment 163397 View attachment 163398

My bike is on the left. Screen shot from R&M web site on the right (don’t know frame size). Note huge clearance difference between rear rack and rear fender. An alternative explanation is that the rear suspension is FUBAR; however, it flexes appropriately to load though it bangs into the fender. Thoughts, suggestions? ——— PM
It is most likely rear shock pressure. Check pressure matches your total rider wait. Your bike should have come with a shock pump/ pressure guage. Failing that you might need the rear shock replaced.

Clamps, I suspect you are right. The timing of the difficulties are in synch with what you experienced. Furthermore, I am unable to "lock out" the rear shock, strongly suggesting that it can't hold pressure. BTW, I only recently put the 150 psi in try to lift the suspended portion of the frame. It didn't do much - another clue. The troubles I've documented ante-ceded the 150 boost. To Jay: shock pressure had previously been adjusted appropriately to load. All roads lead to failure of the rear shock. Thanks for the input, guys.

One more piece of evidence that it's the rear shock, and I think this is diagnostic. I found this picture of my bike on delivery. Rear rack to fender clearance is "normal" and unlike what I have now (see picture above).
1695871895279.png

Thanks again for all the input.

Yes, I really do believe it's just the shock now. If you can get it replaced under warranty, do so. If you can afford an upgrade, I'm told it's worth it. I'm gonna do it once I can spare the cash.

Failure of the Suntour rear shock is obviously not an isolated issue. This begs the question of whether Riese & Mueller have changed their equipment specs for more recent builds.

Back