Help me to choose decent commuter class 2/3 combined, optimal budget <=3k

Vitaliy

Hi,

I will be moving in a coupe if days to Seattle metro area and exploring options to commute with ebike. I wend through multiple reviews and descriptions. However still struggling to choose y first ebike. What do I have in mind:

1. I want class 2/class 3 combined. It looks beneficial to be able to do 20 mph in bike trails (like 520 bike trail) and be faster on the streets with the car traffic.
2. As far as I understand, 1 implies both throttle/pedelec
3. As for throttle, thumb throttle or twist throttle is ok. I am not sure how much attention should I put into this.
4. torque sensor pedal assist is preferable.
5. I need a good range, around 50 miles to be on the safe side.
6. I still don't know whether it makes to choose Bosch system over others

Does it makes sense?

I was looking at Juiced (they have a cool black friday deal 2050 for CCX, but I am afraid to buy one online without trying it first, since I've never rode ebike before. I also read some reviews about bad customer service and some people were unlucky to repair it often. I want a bike to ride, not to repair.

I've looked at some models if Trek, Gazelle and a couple others, but could not find class2/3 combined.
As for the price, I would like to spend up to 3k on it. However if it really makes sense, could go 1k higher.

I appreciate your advice

I thought that the whole concept behind the Classification was that different Classes do not overlap?

As far as I understood, you achieve class 2 speed with pedelec and class 3 speed if you add throttle. I am not sure if this is always the case for pedelec/throttle bikes

As far as I understood, you achieve class 2 speed with pedelec and class 3 speed if you add throttle.
I don't think so.
Class 2 e-bike is operated solely by the throttle but it can achieve up to 20 mph. You can ride it anywhere where a normal bike is allowed.
Class 3 e-bike must be pedalled and the motor support is cut off at 28 mph. You have to wear a helmet and most of bike lanes are prohibited for Class 3 e-bikes.
If you add a throttle to the Class 3 bike it becomes a moped.

Now: If you use bike lanes, the U.S. Class 1 is a good choice because you can ride wherever normal bikes can and Class 1 e-bikes have typically a very good range. If you choose Class 2, forget about 50+ miles range. Class 3 in practice lets you only use public roads. As Class 3 e-bikes move fast, their range is not very impressive (high air resistance to be overcome). That could be solved by carrying a spare battery or having a dual-battery e-bike; neither solution is cheap.

If you can reach your destination with the maximum speed of 20 mph (which might translate to the average speed of some 15 mph), your objective is to ride far and you will use bike lanes, I think you should opt for a good Class 1 e-bike.

Last edited:
Now, you set your spending ceiling to $3K or $4K if absolutely necessary.
If I were choosing my first e-bike, I could consider Haibike. What can be said about Haibike e-bikes these are durable and equipped with reliable Bosch motors.

For example, the current sale price of Haibike Sduro Trekking 7.0, which is a Class 1 e-bike is $3,000. With 75 Nm of torque it gives you very good acceleration. It will assist you up to 20 mph and the maximum range in good conditions for a 220 lb person is 72 miles if you maintain average speed of 16 mph with few stops in Eco mode (high pedalling effort). The range will drop to 47 miles if you switch to the Tour mode.

For example, the current sale price for Haibike Sduro Trekking S 9.0, which is a Class 3 bike is $4300. The motor will assist you up to 28 mph. However if you wished to keep the average speed at 20 mph be aware your range might even not exceed 30 miles!

I am not an advocate for Haibike but it is some good reference e-bike with good prices and as it is based on Bosch Performance Line CX motor (or Bosch Performance Line Speed) it is easy to calculate the range with the Bosch Range Assistant:

@Vitaliy if I were you I would buy this bike now and kissed hands of Crazy Lenny for the bargain...
BH Emotion Atom Lynx 6 for $1980!!!

if you want throttle and mid drive this is it eg bikes. I had this guy it is heavy but I can climb 16 degree slopes with a little work less then that and I can spin up anoy hill and cruise at 20 with very little peddle effort. I only used the throttle to start and such then it works great. eg bike

Hi Vitaliy, I think you're in luck moving to Seattle. Sounds like there a lot of good ebike stores up there, so you should visit them and they'll help you out.

If it were me, the first place I would go to is Rad Power Bike's showroom. Rad Power bikes are not Class 3, but looking at them would be a great starting point to learn about what capabilities you really need vs want and help narrow down your search. Just don't fall in love with the RadCity at first sight and buy the bike on the spot, make sure you look around at other bikes!

From your description, you want a Class 3 (28mph) bike which has a throttle. In most of the U.S., you can think of the classes like this:

Class 1 - Limited to 20mph assist with no throttle
Class 2 - A throttle up to 20mph, with or without pedal assist to 20mph.
Class 3 - Limited to 28mph assist. Class 3 can come with or without a throttle up to 20mph (examples are Juiced Bikes and Aventon 500)

Mid-drive motors from Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Brose don't have a throttle and The only mid-drive that I am aware of that does is Bafang. If you want a throttle either you will need to go with Bafang mid-drive or a hub drive.

Hi Vitaliy, Dave from DOST Bikes here, our new bikes may be of interest to you - they seem to meet your priority needs.

We're in Vancouver, Canada just across the border from Seattle. The info you're getting regarding class 2 / 3 is correct. Our bikes are specifically designed for Class 1, 2, or 3. The speed is easily set (class 2 vs class 3) using the display to be compliant with max speed regulations. The throttle is easily disengaged by disconnection if you need to be Class 1. We're using a 750W mid-drive motor that is incredibly powerful if you want to keep up with traffic.

As for a 50 mile range, depending on how you ride and many other factors, you may want to consider our Dual Battery System, good for over 100 miles. Finally price, I think this is where DOST Bikes has few competitors - ours start at $2799 USD. Please stay tuned to www.dostbikes.com for updates on availability - maybe sign up and get on our mailing list.

Good luck, Seattle is a great city,
Dave

@Vitaliy if I were you I would buy this bike now and kissed hands of Crazy Lenny for the bargain...
BH Emotion Atom Lynx 6 for $1980!!!

That it is indeed a bargain !! I am patiently For the ATOM X LYNX CARBON in march 2020.

Hi Vitaliy, I think you're in luck moving to Seattle. Sounds like there a lot of good ebike stores up there, so you should visit them and they'll help you out.

If it were me, the first place I would go to is Rad Power Bike's showroom. Rad Power bikes are not Class 3, but looking at them would be a great starting point to learn about what capabilities you really need vs want and help narrow down your search. Just don't fall in love with the RadCity at first sight and buy the bike on the spot, make sure you look around at other bikes!

From your description, you want a Class 3 (28mph) bike which has a throttle. In most of the U.S., you can think of the classes like this:

Class 1 - Limited to 20mph assist with no throttle
Class 2 - A throttle up to 20mph, with or without pedal assist to 20mph.
Class 3 - Limited to 28mph assist. Class 3 can come with or without a throttle up to 20mph (examples are Juiced Bikes and Aventon 500)

Mid-drive motors from Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Brose don't have a throttle and The only mid-drive that I am aware of that does is Bafang. If you want a throttle either you will need to go with Bafang mid-drive or a hub drive.

Thank you for your succinct summary of what is available. i have not purchased my first ebike yet either, but i want it to be the right one for this significant investment. i do not plan to have a stable full of ebikes. My dream of a Brose or Bosch mid-drive with a throttle in a cruiser/commuter frame apparently does not exist. It will interesting to see what I settle for that offers Class 2 throttle and Class 3 speed pedelec.

With bosch system you won't have throttle. Or at least this is what I know. Actually other than some smaller companies like Ariel Rider I don't know any mid-drive system with throttle function.

If you enjoy cruising around without pedaling like me (i am pretty lazy guy) then I advice you to go with a throttle e-bike. I owned a brose e-bike which was good but I really miss having comfort of a throttle. And if you aren't living in a hilly area then there isn't much reason to justify having a mid-drive system.

Also can you let us know about your riding style. Do you like off-road trails or riding fast on pavement. And when you commute how much stuff you want to carry. As these will determine which ebike is better for you.

EVELO has a showroom and store in Seattle. Their mid drive ebikes all have throttles. And class 2 or 3 is no problem. Best to ride the ebikes to get the right fit and feel how they will perform. 4 year warranties.

Ariel Rider also has office in Seattle and their C-Class can be a good option. Price is around $1700 but it has mid motor, internal hub gear and hydro brakes (not best ones but still better than mechanical). And I remember they have throttle. I can be wrong about it you better check with them about the throttle issue.

EG bikes have dapu middirves With a throttle. 500 watts no less. I could get up 16% hills with some work and spin up all other lesser hills with no effort if I chose.

Guys, thank you so much for all your thoughts and interesting options.
Now I understand much better what I need:

1. Class 2 ebike. However I want to use throttle quite rare, I would say. I want to become a bit fitter than I am now.
Purpose: commute, 70% flat, 90% pavement roads/bike trails . I carry a laptop and a book, not very heavy.
2. Range should be >40 miles WITHOUT using throttle.
3. Some pedelec are smoother than others. It is important to have nice experience.

I will try more bikes and they will give my updates.

BTW: regenerative braking. Do you think it is important?

Last edited:
Vitaliy, the short answer is: Class 2 e-bike has no pedals.

Regenerative braking: able to recover up to 5% energy or less. Makes little sense, especially as it constricts you to a heavy Direct Drive motor that you need to pedal constantly or the bike will stop.

Last edited:
Back