Lighter alternatives to Cube Hybrid One 625? (Europe)

Rm100

Region
Europe
I am currently in the process of choosing my first ebike. I made a list of criteria and found the Cube hybrid one 625 to hit nearly everything I want except it is quite heavy. I live in a rented apartment on the 3rd floor, the elevator is too small to fit the bike in, and insurance won't cover me if I leave it in the shared bike store on the ground floor (no fixed racks to lock to, everyone just locks their cheap bikes with frame and wheel and takes their expensive bikes into their apartments). I am looking for an equivalent lighter alternative and wonder if I have missed something, or alternatively what item on my list should I compromise.

My use would be as a daily commuter - city and country roads, not much hill, 16k/day, 4 days/week.
Occasional weekend rides ~30-70k, hilly
I am 5'3 (160 cm) and based in Austria, Europe. Looking for legal pedal-assisted bike, no throttle. Probably a hybrid/touring bike.
I don't think I would be confident with a self-made converted one (and my current regular bike is cheap and probably not worth converting). I am not overly experienced with bikes, but learning maintenance/repairs on youtube when needed.

I would like:
- removable battery (cant compromise on this, otherwise would get a Specialized turbo vado SL).
- 60-100 km range
- 6+ gears
- reliable brand battery (bosch or similar). Incredibly paranoid about battery fires after seeing lots on the news about e-scooters with cheap batteries.
- Hydraulic disk brakes
- luggage rack, or space to add one for panniers. Also would prefer mudguards and lights integrated but not essential
- Small size option, if possible with the trapeze shape.
- 22kg or less, ideally <20kg. I think that is about the limit I could carry up the stairs comfortably every day.
- from a big-ish brand (i.e. common enough that most bike shops could deal with repairs if needed)

Budget ~2,500 euros. For the perfect bike I would consider up to 3k, but would be very happy to find something nearer 2k or less!

Other bikes I have looked at and like are from Geero, but they are just too much money and I am concerned that any service/repair would need to be done in-store. There is one in my city but who knows if that will still be the case in 2 years time. Have also seen some options from KTM and Triumph, not exactly what I thought were traditional bike brands but if anyone has good experiences I would be interested.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

the elevator is too small to fit the bike in
Will it fit if you stand it up on its rear wheel? I'm tall so I just stand next to the bike holding the handlebars, grab the rear brake, and walk backwards. But I have seen people use walk assist (same setup, just stay still and push walk assist until the bike pulls itself up enough for you to control it).

If you are going to carry it on stairs every day, I'd say it's just as important to consider the frame style as the weight. A lot of step-through style ebikes just have one fat downtube and really nothing to hold on to if you need to carry it right next to you suitcase-style. I'm not sure what "trapeze shape" is, though.

removable battery
This is in somewhat direct opposition to low weight because of the extra structure needed for a removable battery. The Specialized Turbo SL bikes do offer a range extender (so, partially removable battery) if that meets your needs.

I would say Specialized Turbo Vado SL, too. I agree with Ben on every point here!

Diamond frame, I think.
Trapeze is a compromise between a traditional diamond frame and a true step through frame - retains the stiffness of a diamond frame with a much lower standover height. Not sure if there is a difference btw trapeze and mixte though.
1693847045829.png

OP listed user removable battery as a hard requirement which rules out Spec SL bikes (and most bigger brands light ebikes)as mentioned in their post.

The new Bosch SX and smaller batteries just introduced could work in a lighter bike like this, but I would guess the first wave of bikes with it will be performance oriented higher spec bikes and not affordable step through commuters.

A couple suggestions:
-Cube has a compact sport hybrid that is a little lighter than their full size bikes, but not as many compromises as a true folder. 21 or 22kg is still kind of heavy for stairs IMHO, but maybe small enough to go in the elevator?
-Cowboy is popular in Europe I think? Their step through is a little over 19kg with battery, so probably about 17+ without the battery. The reliance on app connectivity (ala Van Moof) would be a turnoff for me.
-I recently read that the Skarper removable disc drive is nearing official launch. You fit well in the market they are aiming for.

If you can carry a 20+kg bike up to a 3rd floor and do it regularly then you are seriously strong. I have a 19kg bike and find it difficult going up and very difficult to control going down the stairs on a bike path staircase that might be similar to a 3rd floor rise. Removing the battery prior would make it easier but still difficult and I'm reasonably fit and fairly strong.
I'd be looking for a sub 15kg bike or at least a light folder that you could take on the elevator.

internet images of the staircase I'm talking about
View attachment 161971View attachment 161972
I carry a Vado SL EQ (17 kg) three flight of stairs easily
I wonder why the OP does need a removable battery.

If the Trapeze is what BlackHand showed, a Vado SL ST is s good choice.

Will it fit if you stand it up on its rear wheel? I'm tall so I just stand next to the bike holding the handlebars, grab the rear brake, and walk backwards. But I have seen people use walk assist (same setup, just stay still and push walk assist until the bike pulls itself up enough for you to control it).
That is actually a fantastic idea - I'm sure if I can get it lifted up that would fit perfectly. There is a cube shop near me so I can probably try it out there before committing.

I carry a Vado SL EQ (17 kg) three flight of stairs easily
I wonder why the OP does need a removable battery.

If the Trapeze is what BlackHand showed, a Vado SL ST is s good choice.
Yeah I'm basing this off a test run of how heavy a suitcase can I comfortably take up and down, which is not the most perfect comparison but I think sub-22kg accounting for having to tilt the bike should be manageable. So a trapeze or diamond would allow the right kind of hold for this, just thought a trapeze would be marginally better for my short legs but it is certainly a 'would like' rather than 'need'.

The removable battery is partly for ease of where the power outlets are in the flat, and partly for multi-day trips. My partner does quite a few long weekends where he will cycle there ~60k, maybe do a small amount of cycling while there but not specifically a 'cycling trip', then back a few days later. I wouldn't do it on a regular bike but I would like to join him on these once I have the ebike. So I want to be able to take the battery inside the hotel to charge overnight at some point during the trip.

. So I want to be able to take the battery inside the hotel to charge overnight at some point during the trip.
Why not a lightweight e-bike? The receptionist would be happy to keep an eye on your e-bike being charged in the lobby.

Back