Yet Another: Help Me Choose ... ?

astrostu

Region
USA
Hi All!

Background: I'm 40 (just turned), male, had a bike when growing up, had three bikes stolen in college, had a bike for the latter half of grad school that I used for exercise around town (Boulder, CO -- very bike-friendly area), then moved up to the mountains with my significant other (their house) in 2013 and the dirt road with 28° grades ≠ me a happy cyclist. A decade later, I spent two hours cleaning my bike, inflating the tires, and taking it into town where I bought it to have a free (lifetime!) checkup (and the guy said that he would be more than happy to sell me lots of stuff including new tires, but really it was in great shape all things considered). I would put the bike in the car, drive down the hill, and bike on the paved road that still had solid hills, for exercise for my overweight self. Come August last year, my dad got a bike for the first time in decades (an ebike, obviously), and I tried it out when I went back to Ohio for his and my mom's 50th wedding anniversary. A Gazelle Ultimate C380+. Fell in love with the Enviolo shifter compared to my $400 bike's gears, and everything else about it was oh-so-smooth. Like, I could not tell when I was on it that the sucker weighed 65 lbs. On Day 10 of him having it, the morning after I tried it, he was killed by a driver while signaling to turn. I haven't ridden since, but ... at some point one does need to move on, and it's been more than 9 months ...

Foreground: So, I'm looking to replace my current bicycle with something in the same class as what he had (pending insurance money might help, but that's a separate and lengthy, ongoing story). My dad was many things, including a good researcher, so my default has simply been to get a duplicate of his Gazelle. Now that 2023 models are out (Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB), they've beefed it up, improving almost everything but taking it down to a Class 1 from a Class 3; that's not too important to me, though I'm not sure if I like the idea of the middle bar missing entirely. I was just going to push the button, but it looks like the one ebike shop in Boulder doesn't have it in stock. The store that I bought my bike from back circa 2011 (Full Cycle) has a lot of other brands, but not Gazelle. I'm usually not store-loyal, but the fact that I could bring in a bicycle 11 years after buying it and they did a free tune-up and inspection and did not try to sell me a bunch of stuff does engender some good will. However, you have to go down quite a bit in their pricing levels (sort: high to low) before you find a bike with the Enviolo "gear" hub. And they don't sell Gazelle -- they seem to like Specialized Turbo brand. Maybe I could ask if they can order it? I was also thinking I could go in and ask to try out a few of their ebikes that do have the Enviolo.

What I'm Looking For: As noted above, something in the same class as the Gazelle C380 -- extra words / model year removed to be less specific. Enviolo is a must, I feel like that was a game-changer for me, like going from riding in steerage on a trans-Pacific flight to first class, it's so hard to go back ... I WON'T go back! However, searching for the "best ebikes 2023" and opening up a few different sites yields almost zero overlaps. And, only one or two - if any - on any given site's list have the Enviolo hub.

My Use Case(s): The immediate use is to put it in the car, drive it down the 400ft vertical drop dirt road with 28° grades, and ride on the street for exercise. Additional use case is when the significant other drives to Boulder to either swim or go to the gym, we'd put the bike in the car and I'd bike while they do their exercise. (Yes, I understand that "ebike" might be antithetical to "exercise," but there are so many hills here that it's an impediment, and I watch my heart rate closely enough that I know if I need to back off the assist to ensure I'm getting exercise.) Further in the future, the use case could be they'd have a bike, too, we'd pack 'em, and go somewhere like Rocky Mountain National Park, or Estes Park, or almost anywhere else in the area and bike together. Predominantly road. But in a pinch, I'd need to be able to bike on this horrid road I live on, so a city bike with the super-thin tires is out.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
First, sorry for your loss, hope you and your Mom are coping.

As for the bike, the support from a shop that stands behind the bikes they sell is important so because Full Cycle is a Specialized dealer you might like to test ride the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH and 3.0 IGH models. The differences between the two are the 5.0 has a more powerful (90Nm) motor and Enviolo Automatiq shifting, vs the 3.0 has a modest power (50Nm) motor and manual Enviolo.

Your nearest Gazelle dealer appears to be in Louisville, CO

Last edited:
First, sorry for your loss, hope you and your Mom are coping.

As for the bike, the support from a shop that stands behind the bikes they sell is important so because Full Cycle is a Specialized dealer you might like to test ride the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH and 3.0 IGH models. The differences between the two are the 5.0 has a more powerful (90Nm) motor and Enviolo Automatiq shifting, vs the 3.0 has a modest power (50Nm) motor and manual Enviolo.

Your nearest Gazelle dealer appears to be in Louisville, CO
Thanks, Dewey. So, the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH ≈ Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB? I did find this comparison based on your post, which certainly helps.

I think one problem for me is that I don't know all the details about all the different parts/brands/etc., so trying to understand that would require a large amount of additional research (which I don't necessarily want to do, though dropping $5k on something ...). I'm kinda assuming that in a $5k-class bike, it's "all good," in terms of tires, spokes, suspension, etc., and so it's more the kind of tech I'm looking for that's a discriminating factor (e.g., the Enviolo, or motor torque, or Wh battery).

This gives me a good place to start. Though it looks like Full Cycle doesn't actually have it in stock, and I'd definitely want to try out the AUTOMATiQ shifter, for I'm not entirely sold on the idea. I did see the Louisville Gazelle dealer, but they don't have the new model in, so I wouldn't be able to try that out. Doesn't mean I can't go and try out more stuff, though.

The best way I did research was go to bicycle shops and ride. You get one that fits and has the features you like. No comparison to how much easier it is. I drove over 200 miles each way to do that, well worth it.

The best way I did research was go to bicycle shops and ride. You get one that fits and has the features you like. No comparison to how much easier it is. I drove over 200 miles each way to do that, well worth it.
I'm headed to two tomorrow -- Fully Cycle (previously mentioned) and the shop that sells Gazelle.

Such a sad back story. Sorry your dad was killed during the week of his anniversary celebration. .
No opinion on bikes. but the local shop sounds like a good guy,

the local shop sounds like a good guy,

THIS is a valuable part of the equation - if a dealer talks you out of spending $ , support them!

It's so easy to type " you must have a sramano super x07 " , another thing alltogether to say " nah, don't give me your money, it'd be a waste" . So go talk to that dealer about what you are looking for, then try your best to buy there.

Sadly, ebikes need more support from the dealer than bikes from the good olde daze - so if you find a good dealer, support them

Did I mention support your local dealer?

So sorry about your loss, astrostu.

I've been buying e-bikes from DTC companies, but I'm still supporting my local guy with accessory purchases and regular maintenance. With that said, you really can't go wrong with Specialized if you feel strongly about getting a bike from your preferred store. Otherwise, Priority and Evelo are DTC brands that sell Enviolo hub bikes at substantially lower cost, and both companies have sterling customer service reputations.

THIS is a valuable part of the equation - if a dealer talks you out of spending $ , support them!

It's so easy to type " you must have a sramano super x07 " , another thing alltogether to say " nah, don't give me your money, it'd be a waste" . So go talk to that dealer about what you are looking for, then try your best to buy there.

Sadly, ebikes need more support from the dealer than bikes from the good olde daze - so if you find a good dealer, support them

Did I mention support your local dealer?
I support this view. Especially given the intricacies of the Enviolo Automatiq combined with an e-bike.

I did find this comparison based on your post, which certainly helps.
Sorry @astrostu but that comparison is incorrect on several points of information and I wouldn’t trust it. The Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB 2023 model
  • Does have a removable battery
  • The Bosch Kiox 300 display upgrade pairs with the Bosch Flow phone app to provide GPS directions on the display
  • The Bosch Smart System Performance motor power has been upgraded to 75Nm
  • Both bikes use a torque PAS sensor
  • Both bikes now have a front suspension fork
  • The Bosch battery size has increased to 625wh
These changes, and others, make the 2023 model year Gazelle Ultimate C380 much more competitive with the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH and “Ultimately” the choice should be based on your preference for the Enviolo Automatiq on the Vado IGH vs manual shifter on the Ultimate C380, and/or if you prefer the Class 1 speed limit on the Gazelle C380 HMB vs Class 3 on the Specialized, and if that’s a deal changer the Gazelle Ultimate C380+ model is a Class 3.

Last edited:
Hi All!

Background: I'm 40 (just turned), male, had a bike when growing up, had three bikes stolen in college, had a bike for the latter half of grad school that I used for exercise around town (Boulder, CO -- very bike-friendly area), then moved up to the mountains with my significant other (their house) in 2013 and the dirt road with 28° grades ≠ me a happy cyclist. A decade later, I spent two hours cleaning my bike, inflating the tires, and taking it into town where I bought it to have a free (lifetime!) checkup (and the guy said that he would be more than happy to sell me lots of stuff including new tires, but really it was in great shape all things considered). I would put the bike in the car, drive down the hill, and bike on the paved road that still had solid hills, for exercise for my overweight self. Come August last year, my dad got a bike for the first time in decades (an ebike, obviously), and I tried it out when I went back to Ohio for his and my mom's 50th wedding anniversary. A Gazelle Ultimate C380+. Fell in love with the Enviolo shifter compared to my $400 bike's gears, and everything else about it was oh-so-smooth. Like, I could not tell when I was on it that the sucker weighed 65 lbs. On Day 10 of him having it, the morning after I tried it, he was killed by a driver while signaling to turn. I haven't ridden since, but ... at some point one does need to move on, and it's been more than 9 months ...

Foreground: So, I'm looking to replace my current bicycle with something in the same class as what he had (pending insurance money might help, but that's a separate and lengthy, ongoing story). My dad was many things, including a good researcher, so my default has simply been to get a duplicate of his Gazelle. Now that 2023 models are out (Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB), they've beefed it up, improving almost everything but taking it down to a Class 1 from a Class 3; that's not too important to me, though I'm not sure if I like the idea of the middle bar missing entirely. I was just going to push the button, but it looks like the one ebike shop in Boulder doesn't have it in stock. The store that I bought my bike from back circa 2011 (Full Cycle) has a lot of other brands, but not Gazelle. I'm usually not store-loyal, but the fact that I could bring in a bicycle 11 years after buying it and they did a free tune-up and inspection and did not try to sell me a bunch of stuff does engender some good will. However, you have to go down quite a bit in their pricing levels (sort: high to low) before you find a bike with the Enviolo "gear" hub. And they don't sell Gazelle -- they seem to like Specialized Turbo brand. Maybe I could ask if they can order it? I was also thinking I could go in and ask to try out a few of their ebikes that do have the Enviolo.

What I'm Looking For: As noted above, something in the same class as the Gazelle C380 -- extra words / model year removed to be less specific. Enviolo is a must, I feel like that was a game-changer for me, like going from riding in steerage on a trans-Pacific flight to first class, it's so hard to go back ... I WON'T go back! However, searching for the "best ebikes 2023" and opening up a few different sites yields almost zero overlaps. And, only one or two - if any - on any given site's list have the Enviolo hub.

My Use Case(s): The immediate use is to put it in the car, drive it down the 400ft vertical drop dirt road with 28° grades, and ride on the street for exercise. Additional use case is when the significant other drives to Boulder to either swim or go to the gym, we'd put the bike in the car and I'd bike while they do their exercise. (Yes, I understand that "ebike" might be antithetical to "exercise," but there are so many hills here that it's an impediment, and I watch my heart rate closely enough that I know if I need to back off the assist to ensure I'm getting exercise.) Further in the future, the use case could be they'd have a bike, too, we'd pack 'em, and go somewhere like Rocky Mountain National Park, or Estes Park, or almost anywhere else in the area and bike together. Predominantly road. But in a pinch, I'd need to be able to bike on this horrid road I live on, so a city bike with the super-thin tires is out.

Suggestions?
Are you somewhat handy ? You could put a mid-drive bbs02 or bbshd on your current normal bike. It will transform it to a new beast. If you do it yourself it would cost around $1300-1500 or you might have a local guy in your area to install it. It's cheap and will be faster, climb hills better and be lighter than even $10k+ ebikes

Last edited:
It's cheap and will smoke even $10k+ ebikes
Cycling is not about "smoking" other e-bikes. If you want to smoke anything, choose a blunt, or buy a motorcycle.
We are talking quality manufactured ebikes, not the Chinese cr*p here.

"Cheap" and "quality" belong to two different worlds.

Cycling is not about "smoking" other e-bikes. If you want to smoke anything, choose a blunt, or buy a motorcycle.
We are talking quality manufactured ebikes, not the Chinese cr*p here.

"Cheap" and "quality" belong to two different worlds.
Bafang BBS02 and BBSDH mid drives have been on the market for many years and well know for their robustness. They're not low quality motors. I'm sorry you took offense to the term "smoke" most 10k bikes. In fact the mid drive motor on a regular bicycle will outperform most higher end bicycles costing 1000s more . The cost effectiveness means you can use a lightweight normal bicycle that you may already have in your garage and add a high torque mid-drive motor for a fraction of the cost of a higher end e-bike and in most cases have better top speeds, better hill climbing, lighter weight, easily add more batteries for longer rides. Bafang makes some of the most durable motors on the market. They have a good reputation among ebike enthusiasts for durability and longevity.

Thanks all for the replies, and the condolences.

Obviously, supporting a local dealer seems to be a preference (I think I interpreted that correctly, not entirely sure ...).

In the last two weeks, I have tried to try out a bike. Any bike. The first weekend, we had rain, so not a good opportunity to try. I finally got to the store this past weekend, but they did not have any bikes with the Enviolo hub, much less the AUTOMATiQ version. Ordering one in would require a 50% deposit, so I nixed that pretty quickly. I'm not putting down $2.5k on something I might not want. They directed me to a Specialized outlet store just two miles away, but they also had nothing. I'm headed to both Michigan and Ohio in the next 1.5 weeks, and it looks like there's a store that sells Specialized and has the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH actually in stock, so I can try it out. It just seems super-weird to me the idea of setting your cadence rather than resistance, so I want to see if it's weird actually riding it in their parking lot.

Meanwhile, the local Gazelle place an hour south of me only has last year's model in stock (which is what I rode last August that my dad had), while the one an hour north of me has this year's model.

So, right now the goal is to really try them out without putting thousands of dollars down, and I'm sorta in a holding pattern.

Thanks all for the replies, and the condolences.

Obviously, supporting a local dealer seems to be a preference (I think I interpreted that correctly, not entirely sure ...).
I value loyalty, but at the end of the day, do what is best for you.

My two cents regarding the Enviolo Automatiq: A lot of users seem to be tweaking based on their perceived cadence. While I have only pedaled a little over a hundred miles, I have not found that remotely necessary. It also seems pointless to me given the torque sensing hub that is making adjustments accordingly. I am wildly impressed by the Automatiq but if you can find one to test ride, that would be ideal.

I value loyalty, but at the end of the day, do what is best for you.

My two cents regarding the Enviolo Automatiq: A lot of users seem to be tweaking based on their perceived cadence. While I have only pedaled a little over a hundred miles, I have not found that remotely necessary. It also seems pointless to me given the torque sensing hub that is making adjustments accordingly. I am wildly impressed by the Automatiq but if you can find one to test ride, that would be ideal.
Thanks. After a trip to my mom for her 73rd birthday and my brother's 5th wedding anniversary, the shop near her house had the bike but it was raining. A job up to Michigan for my significant other's mom returning from Australia after her stroke in December, and a shop 45 minutes away had the Como 5.0 IGH, so we drove over to try it out. Holland, MI, a few miles from Lake Michigan, has a lot less hills than Colorado! But, I still got to try out the bike and the gearing.

I was expecting a more analog cadence selector rather than it built into the computer system at seven levels (slowest, slower, slow, standard, fast, faster, fastest). The salesman also hadn't ridden it before, so since he had two, he came out and tried it with me. He said that he could definitely tell / hear it working when he had it on "fastest," but I honestly couldn't pedal that fast so I stuck with it on "slowest" and "slower," and we had a small park across the road that had a bit of a hill (+20 ft elevation gain?) to try it on. I could definitely tell when it "bottomed out" and could no longer give me any mechanical advantage because it got more difficult to pedal about 3/4 of the way up, but otherwise I couldn't tell if it was doing anything. But I think I can chalk that up to exactly the point of the AUTOMATiQ: You're not supposed to tell if it's doing anything. I would've liked some feedback, maybe on the display telling me what the current gear ratio was, so that I really knew it was working and doing something for me on the fairly flat terrain (it's possible it is there, I just didn't explore the menu system well).

Separately, my pseudo-brother-in-law is also here in Michigan (helping to bring the pseudo-mother-in-law back from Australia) and he knows a reasonable amount about bikes, so I asked him to look at the Gazelle versus the Standard, and he said they really are fairly identical so far as I would notice any differences (or not), but that Standard is better known. That was similar to what the guy in Cincinnati said when I asked about the difference.

I'm going to do a bit more research, but with the Como 5.0 IGH (yes, I've moved to that frame from the above-suggested Vado, I like being upright a bit more) on sale now for $4000 versus $5750, I've contacted my local shop in Boulder, CO and asked if they can order it and what their servicing is for free versus paid.

I'm also looking into a bike stand so that I can get more use out of it when it's cold and I'm a creature comfort person -- if I can also use it indoors when it's cold, that's another form of exercise, and more use out of a not-cheap purchase.

I was expecting a more analog cadence selector rather than it built into the computer system at seven levels (slowest, slower, slow, standard, fast, faster, fastest). The salesman also hadn't ridden it before, so since he had two, he came out and tried it with me. He said that he could definitely tell / hear it working when he had it on "fastest," but I honestly couldn't pedal that fast so I stuck with it on "slowest" and "slower," and we had a small park across the road that had a bit of a hill (+20 ft elevation gain?) to try it on. I could definitely tell when it "bottomed out" and could no longer give me any mechanical advantage because it got more difficult to pedal about 3/4 of the way up, but otherwise I couldn't tell if it was doing anything. But I think I can chalk that up to exactly the point of the AUTOMATiQ: You're not supposed to tell if it's doing anything. I would've liked some feedback, maybe on the display telling me what the current gear ratio was, so that I really knew it was working and doing something for me on the fairly flat terrain (it's possible it is there, I just didn't explore the menu system well).

I'm going to do a bit more research, but with the Como 5.0 IGH (yes, I've moved to that frame from the above-suggested Vado, I like being upright a bit more) on sale now for $4000 versus $5750, I've contacted my local shop in Boulder, CO and asked if they can order it and what their servicing is for free versus paid.
Hard for me to re-create your pedaling experience in my head especially since I'm experiencing the Enviolo Automatiq on a different bike altogether. I'll link to Court's review of the Evelo so you can compare specs between the two. I know he's also reviewed several Specialized units as well in recent times, and their new price point does sound enticing.

There are lots of metrics on the Enviolo app you can access and modify, but in my estimation that is a good recipe for driving yourself nuts. On the Evelo Omega the factory settings are spot on, so I do not intend to monkey with them. I say that after experiencing a challenging 34 mile group ride yesterday with very few flat sections. I'm not sure I could have completed the ride without a good hill climbing e-bike, even when I was an athletic and energetic 12 year old. The Omega with the Automatiq IGH handled the steep hills like a champ.

Also keep in mind the CVT nature of the Enviolo IGH. You are not going to experience shifts in the same sequential way you're probably accustomed to. There are some disadvantages as well to having a cadence sensor onboard (a pure torque sensor bike is likely a bit more battery efficient, and I find my torque sensing Priority Current is smoother off the line).

Back