Firmware update for charging limit

I’m enjoying this discussion. I know the feature worked the first time I charged after the updates. I just can’t remember to check and record subsequent charges.

I wait with bated breath for you all to resolve the question, though I wouldn’t be too surprised that a Specialized update fixes the problem (in some countries) before we figure it out.

"We" need "our" batteries charged 100% because "we" are riding "our" e-bikes and nobody knows what the tomorrow holds, Bob 😊 i have never used the feature and even do not intend to try it!
Nothing against 100% charge and using it to make life better.

Specialized documentation says the 80% feature will switch to 100% after 9 charge cycles in order to calibrate. But it implies only one 100% charge is needed, and then the bike will revert to 80%. If that's not true they should say so. My bike is stuck in a mode where the charging display (Mastermind) says 80% mode is active but the 100% exception is in effect.

IMO it's not a feature if it only works once, and Specialized needs to own up to that.

Specialized documentation says the 80% feature will switch to 100% after 9 charge cycles in order to calibrate. But it implies only one 100% charge is needed, and then the bike will revert to 80%. If that's not true they should say so. My bike is stuck in a mode where the charging display (Mastermind) says 80% mode is active but the 100% exception is in effect.

IMO it's not a feature if it only works once, and Specialized needs to own up to that.
I understand that, Bob.
A couple of helpful Polish sayings:
"It took awhile to build Cracow"
"The mills of Specialized are grinding slowly"
:D

Last edited:

Hmmm. Do you have multiple apps on your phone? Blevo and Mission Control and/or Specialized (newer app)?

I do occasionally use this feature and it has worked flawlessly for me. You also have a charge counter within the application....and on the "10th" or "20th" charge 'cycle' and so-on it will charge to 100% even with the charge limit option turned on. If you occasionally run differing apps.....each app should be switched to the same "limit on" or "limit off" setting.....and if so should charge accordingly like clock-work. At least it does so on my Vado SL.

Um, I think charging to 100% on cycle 10, 20, etc. is how it's designed: calibrate on every 10th cycle. So you do get one charge to 100% and then back to 80%?

I've tried various things, deleting apps included, to no success. As you can see from this thread there are many of us who are stuck at 100%. Some have found a way out involving factory resets, etc., but I just want it to work like you describe it does for you.

Um, I think charging to 100% on cycle 10, 20, etc. is how it's designed: calibrate on every 10th cycle. So you do get one charge to 100% and then back to 80%?

I've tried various things, deleting apps included, to no success. As you can see from this thread there are many of us who are stuck at 100%. Some have found a way out involving factory resets, etc., but I just want it to work like you describe it does for you.

Yes...I merely meant to explain that the software won't switch to a 100% charge simply because you or I have charged 10 times....but rather it will revert to 100% charging specifically on the 10's as it relates to the charge cycle counter. Had you started to use the limiter on the 9th charge cycle....the next cycle (10th) would charge to 100%....then revert to 80% for the 11th charge thru 19th charge....then 100% on the 20th etc.

Hmmm...I did read that some folks had this problem of being stuck at 100% without limiter. I don't have any explanation. Mine works seemingly perfectly....and I can toggle it as I please....and it seems to respond appropriately each time.

No worries, mfgrep. Glad to know that when it works, it works the way I expected.

I finally bit the bullet and chatted with Specialized tech support. The gist of it was, "The app team is aware of this and will have a fix on next release. There's no date for that. Sorry."

No worries, mfgrep. Glad to know that when it works, it works the way I expected.

I finally bit the bullet and chatted with Specialized tech support. The gist of it was, "The app team is aware of this and will have a fix on next release. There's no date for that. Sorry."
It's been raining here for two days .. Nearly 5 inches thus far and no end in sight. Once it stops the highs will be in the 40's.... And 20's for lows. Arghhhhhhh

Not sure whether anyone of you did it:

• After setting the charging limit, I recharged the main battery only. It charged to 80% as expected
  • Next time, I had both the main battery and a Range Extender discharged to some 60%. Set the charging using the SL Y-Cable...
Guess what was the charge level of the Range Extender :D
Yes, you have guessed that right. 100% :)

I won't use that idiotic feature anymore!

Just curious if there was ever a resolution of this issue. Also, has anyone verified if the latest Specialized App (which replaces Mission Control) resolves it?

Just curious if there was ever a resolution of this issue. Also, has anyone verified if the latest Specialized App (which replaces Mission Control) resolves it?
I've just got my Vado 4 back from the dealer following a repair. All firmware has been updated to the latest version (so they tell me but I have no visible verification of this on the newest app) but it still keeps charging to 100% despite having the 'limit to 80%' turned on.

I've just got my Vado 4 back from the dealer following a repair. All firmware has been updated to the latest version (so they tell me but I have no visible verification of this on the newest app) but it still keeps charging to 100% despite having the 'limit to 80%' turned on.

I say take it back to the shop, something isn't right. My 2022 Vado 4.0 was updated to the latest firmware, I verified with the old Mission Control app, and the 80% charge limit feature has been working well. However, I noticed my riding statistics (miles, calories, etc) on the bike's display have reset a few times for some reason... maybe just a glitch.

Does anyone know why we have to keep taking our bikes into the shop for firmware upgrades? Aren't these bikes supposed to be able to receive over-the-air updates from home? I can't think of one firmware update I've been able to do at home.

Does anyone know why we have to keep taking our bikes into the shop for firmware upgrades? Aren't these bikes supposed to be able to receive over-the-air updates from home? I can't think of one firmware update I've been able to do at home.
It just so happens that I called Specialized to ask this question last Friday.

I inquired because "Mission Control" has now been sunsetted and the new "Specialized" app has no ability to update firmware or even to check which firmware has been installed. Now when I open "Mission Control" it specifically says "Mission Control has been sunsetted...please download the Specialized app". Mission Control is now completely dead and not available for use (at least for me).
Customer Service was very nice....but Spesh no longer provides a means for the consumer to update firmware (and he claimed that the Mission Control app had only allowed the update of the TCU but NOT for the motor and/or battery). I let him know that not providing information related to the availability of updates and not providing explanation as to the content of the updates lacked transparency. He indicated that he understood.

I now have 2 Spesh ebikes. One of them was purchased from an LBS that provides lifetime 'free tuneups' including software updates.
My other Spesh bike was bought from Erik's who charges $30 to update.

It seems wrong to spend $30 for an 'update' that you were unaware of....and that you have no concept of what changes any given update produces. The manager at Erik's told me that it notifies him of the update contents when he hooks the bike up to the computer. He also indicated that he would be happy to update me for free (nice guy....and I frequent the shop).

I'm guessing that Spesh had problems with the over-the-air updates direct to consumers.....and I'd believe it. Spesh told me that there have been 2 or 3 updates since the purchase date of my Vado SL...so I plan to drop off my SL for my 'free tune up' soon. What will those updates provide? Nobody knows lol.

Last edited:
I too was using the mission control right up to the end as I hate everything about the new app. I have difficulty reading the figures, mission control was much better with the black background. The new app has far too much detail for me with watts and stuff! I just want simple things like speed and remaining battery. I think I'll just use Komoot in future.

I have only use a Specialized dealer and service center for my firmware upgrade not my LBS. I am lucky to have one near me and they are great, I liked the Mission Control also compared to the S app. Very difficult to use when riding, But that is what we have for now not until Specialized decides to change it up to better serve the users

Back