Firmware update for charging limit

To be honest I'm happy enough with the bike the way it is. Not particularly interested in the charge limiter feature. Certainly not enough to pay for it. I paid well over £4000 for the bike, I'd expect free updates for at least 3 years regardless of where you bought it and where you have it serviced. That's the way it works when you buy a car and it needs something doing on warranty. You can take it to any dealership and the manufacturer picks up the bill.

It strange the Specialized retailer would charge for doing the update. Perhaps I live in a Specialized paradise? Because the dealer here has never charged me for any update!

P
It strange the Specialized retailer would charge for doing the update. Perhaps I live in a Specialized paradise? Because the dealer here has never charged me for any update!
Your experience with Specialized is definitely different than here in the USA. I believe your Specialized dealer is owned by them. Here, most dealers are independent and may not be compensated for updates. Especially if the bikes are not otherwise in warranty. (Warranty repairs are compensated, in some manner, by Specialized.)

Thus the charges, which are explicitly stated to be the case in the email Specialized sent about the update.

I Just had a computer chat with Specialized. I have a Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO purchased in 2/21so it has the older TCU. I was informed if the bike gets the latest software (released a few weeks ago) and you are on the latest rev of the MC app it will work.
Here is part of the chat. I put quotations on the Specialized response. If anyone with the older TCU figures out that this works please post. I do not have a dealer in my town so will be a while before I get updated.

"Hi how can I help you?"
Tanner - 1:30 PM

I have creo Turbo SL expert EVO purchased in 2021. I was wondering of the new 80% battery toggle feature would be available on my bike if I updated all the systems?

"Yes, it will!
It comes with the new firmware package"
Tanner - 1:31 PM

So, it does not have to be a MASTERMIND? There is a lot of confusion out there as your notes talk about the MM and the TCD but no mention of the TCU.

"What is your serial number?"
Tanner - 1:32 PM

WSBC004382687R

"Yes you'll be able to use the charge limiter if you get the latest firmware update?"
Tanner - 1:36 PM

Awesome!. When was that software released?

"Sorry I didn't mean to include the question mark"
"Two or three weeks ago"

I Just had a computer chat with Specialized. I have a Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO purchased in 2/21so it has the older TCU. I was informed if the bike gets the latest software (released a few weeks ago) and you are on the latest rev of the MC app it will work.
Here is part of the chat. I put quotations on the Specialized response. If anyone with the older TCU figures out that this works please post. I do not have a dealer in my town so will be a while before I get updated.

"Hi how can I help you?"
Tanner - 1:30 PM

I have creo Turbo SL expert EVO purchased in 2021. I was wondering of the new 80% battery toggle feature would be available on my bike if I updated all the systems?

"Yes, it will!
It comes with the new firmware package"
Tanner - 1:31 PM

So, it does not have to be a MASTERMIND? There is a lot of confusion out there as your notes talk about the MM and the TCD but no mention of the TCU.

"What is your serial number?"
Tanner - 1:32 PM

WSBC004382687R

"Yes you'll be able to use the charge limiter if you get the latest firmware update?"
Tanner - 1:36 PM

Awesome!. When was that software released?

"Sorry I didn't mean to include the question mark"
"Two or three weeks ago"
Yes, I have a creo with the older tcu and the 80% charge option works on mine. I got the update a few weeks ago and can confirm that the charge stops at 80% now. There is an on-off option in M C so you’re free to use it or not.

The charging limit on my bike seems to have stopped working. Has anyone else noticed this? The last time I charged (last week), the battery charged to 100%. I assumed it was because it was the 10th charge since installing the app (the documentation states there will be a full charge every 10th time, to recalibrate the battery). However, when I charged today, the battery didn't stop at 80% as it has previously done - instead, I saw it at 81% at which point I unplugged the charger. Has anyone else noticed their charge limit not working?

The charging limit on my bike seems to have stopped working. Has anyone else noticed this? The last time I charged (last week), the battery charged to 100%. I assumed it was because it was the 10th charge since installing the app (the documentation states there will be a full charge every 10th time, to recalibrate the battery). However, when I charged today, the battery didn't stop at 80% as it has previously done - instead, I saw it at 81% at which point I unplugged the charger. Has anyone else noticed their charge limit not working?
Yes, we had exactly the same thing about 10 days ago. I called the Specialized U.S. number (1-877-808-8154) and talked to some person that seemed to understand the problem but didn't have an answer. Rather, he took my contact information and said that he would refer to the team handling this. There was a name for the team, but I honestly don't recall it. But it sounded like the people who should understand how this little utility works. As the update was installed at a bike shop, I didn't figure there was anything I could do with that. I thought about reinstalling the app on my iPhone, but I haven't tried that yet. I did try turning the option on the app on and off, but that didn't seem to fix anything. I was going to wait a few days more before contacting Specialized again, as they haven't gotten back to me. In the meantime, I just recharge the battery to something between 75% and 90%.

Yes, we had exactly the same thing about 10 days ago. I called the Specialized U.S. number (1-877-808-8154) and talked to some person that seemed to understand the problem but didn't have an answer. Rather, he took my contact information and said that he would refer to the team handling this. There was a name for the team, but I honestly don't recall it. But it sounded like the people who should understand how this little utility works. As the update was installed at a bike shop, I didn't figure there was anything I could do with that. I thought about reinstalling the app on my iPhone, but I haven't tried that yet. I did try turning the option on the app on and off, but that didn't seem to fix anything. I was going to wait a few days more before contacting Specialized again, as they haven't gotten back to me. In the meantime, I just recharge the battery to something between 75% and 90%.
I have only contacted Specialized twice over the last two years, and both of my questions were about parts compatibility between generations, not any problems per se. In both cases it took about a week, perhaps a little more, to receive an answer, but I did get complete answers both times, including the part numbers I needed.

I contacted Specialized on 3/20/2023, but never heard back, so I contacted them again on 4/7/2023. They hadn't "lost the file" or anything, because they identified my past query. But it seems that this is something they're aware of and are still trying to determine a solution. That is to say they'll get back to me once they have a solution. Nevertheless, I intend to contact them about every two weeks until I hear back. In the meantime, I'll just try to charge the bike to somewhere around 80% most of the time. I don't think I've ever used more than about 40 or 45 percent on any single ride, so that's certainly good enough for me.

just got the update about two weeks ago at my LBS
I have always try to charge up tp 80%, I only charge to 100% sometimes when going on longer ride or riding two days in row I had to use a timer to go check on the battery to stop at 80% the update will make this easier

just got the update about two weeks ago at my LBS
I have always try to charge up tp 80%, I only charge to 100% sometimes when going on longer ride or riding two days in row I had to use a timer to go check on the battery to stop at 80% the update will make this easier
Good luck, the 80% charge limit worked fine for me for about 6 or 7 charges and then started going to 100% again. So far the last 4 charges have gone to 100 so I’m going back to my old method of just estimating the time and unplugging the charger before it reaches full charge.

Good luck, the 80% charge limit worked fine for me for about 6 or 7 charges and then started going to 100% again. So far the last 4 charges have gone to 100 so I’m going back to my old method of just estimating the time and unplugging the charger before it reaches full charge.
This has happened to me. It charged to 80% maybe 9 times... then 100% and I went out and ride until it was about 4%. Since then it charges to 100% every single time no matter how many times I change the 80% toggle on and off.

I hope it starts eventually working again because it was a great feature.

This has happened to me. It charged to 80% maybe 9 times... then 100% and I went out and ride until it was about 4%. Since then it charges to 100% every single time no matter how many times I change the 80% toggle on and off.

I hope it starts eventually working again because it was a great feature.
maybe try un-installing the app and reinstalling it

Guys, honestly. Who of you rides as little as to bother with the 80% battery charging? :)

Guys, honestly. Who of you rides as little as to bother with the 80% battery charging? :)
Actually, I’d forgotten about the feature. I frequently take shortish rides of 10 to 20 miles, so don’t recharge that often. Also, since my rides only consume 20-30% of the available charge, I don’t notice the actual charge level percentage. Also, the LEDs aren’t that precise.

Actually, I’d forgotten about the feature. I frequently take shortish rides of 10 to 20 miles, so don’t recharge that often. Also, since my rides only consume 20-30% of the available charge, I don’t notice the actual charge level percentage. Also, the LEDs aren’t that precise.
Your battery must be between 20 and 80% most of the time I think. No worries!

Myself, I don't want to be confronted with half charged batteries as I don't know what the next hour can bring. Oh, I'm setting off for bikeless 10 day vacation soon! 🤣

Your battery must be between 20 and 80% most of the time I think. No worries!
You’ve got it right. I don’t worry. If I’m planning a longer ride or one with my group that I have to drive to, I do fully charge.

BTW, I dId do several rides that got the battery to 5%. Only the second time in three years, I’d gotten that low.

Crazy I just got it working again. I turned off the 80% toggle and saved it as a profile. Then I loaded the default profile back and charged to 100% rode until the battery was at 40% and then before charging I loaded the previous profile and turned on the 80% limit again.

It worked.

Back