Firmware update for charging limit

It just so happens that I called Specialized to ask this question last Friday.

I inquired because "Mission Control" has now been sunsetted and the new "Specialized" app has no ability to update firmware or even to check which firmware has been installed. Now when I open "Mission Control" it specifically says "Mission Control has been sunsetted...please download the Specialized app". Mission Control is now completely dead and not available for use (at least for me).
Customer Service was very nice....but Spesh no longer provides a means for the consumer to update firmware (and he claimed that the Mission Control app had only allowed the update of the TCU but NOT for the motor and/or battery). I let him know that not providing information related to the availability of updates and not providing explanation as to the content of the updates lacked transparency. He indicated that he understood.

I now have 2 Spesh ebikes. One of them was purchased from an LBS that provides lifetime 'free tuneups' including software updates.
My other Spesh bike was bought from Erik's who charges $30 to update.

It seems wrong to spend $30 for an 'update' that you were unaware of....and that you have no concept of what changes any given update produces. The manager at Erik's told me that it notifies him of the update contents when he hooks the bike up to the computer. He also indicated that he would be happy to update me for free (nice guy....and I frequent the shop).

I'm guessing that Spesh had problems with the over-the-air updates direct to consumers.....and I'd believe it. Spesh told me that there have been 2 or 3 updates since the purchase date of my Vado SL...so I plan to drop off my SL for my 'free tune up' soon. What will those updates provide? Nobody knows lol.
Total BS btw.. I bought this bike with the expectation that I could update it myself. I live in the mountains without any bike shops close to me. I like the bike, but will be looking elsewhere for my next ride.

Total BS btw.. I bought this bike with the expectation that I could update it myself. I live in the mountains without any bike shops close to me. I like the bike, but will be looking elsewhere for my next ride.
I don't like it either.... And I completely understand your perspective. In fact, it makes me realize how lucky I am to be within walking distance of a major specialized retailer. It pisses me off that they want $30 for every update.

I don't like it either.... And I completely understand your perspective. In fact, it makes me realize how lucky I am to be within walking distance of a major specialized retailer. It pisses me off that they want $30 for every update.
Well, if it's any solace, I paid my LBS $30 for my Vado update in January, but my latest update was free. Perhaps because I told them the last update had bugs, and they could clearly see in the release notes that Specialized was patching those bugs.

I talked to Specialized customer service on the phone and they said that they thought the firmware update capability was coming to the new app at some point. It just wasn't there yet.

I talked to Specialized customer service on the phone and they said that they thought the firmware update capability was coming to the new app at some point. It just wasn't there yet.
... and so is a fix for 80% charging stuck at 100% (or so says customer support), but I'm not holding my breath. IMO Specialized gets that they need to to hardware development really well, but they don't quite get that software is an integral part of an ebike, and it has to be just as good.

... and so is a fix for 80% charging stuck at 100% (or so says customer support), but I'm not holding my breath. IMO Specialized gets that they need to to hardware development really well, but they don't quite get that software is an integral part of an ebike, and it has to be just as good.
Is this for a Vado, not the Vado SL? If so, new firmware was released in February to fix the 80% limit charging bug. The charging bug and the display resetting issue seem related. See post #99 for more detail.

Last edited:
Hmm. I have a Creo 1 with mastermind display. Firmware was supposedly updated by a shop in February to whatever was the latest for motor, battery, and display. However in the Specialized app I can find nothing to say what version #s I have, nor can I find any release notes. I have not ridden much this winter, but I guess I'll have to try charging and see if the limit kicks in correctly.

Sheesh man these specialized ebike owners can't even figure out how to charge their batteries
How complicated is to charge battery.

Specialized is top of my list to not buy.
Everytime specialized owners are whining about their ebike.

Last edited:
Not a very good thing
Admit it you bought a pos ebike.
It may look good but. You should have bought a better one.

Low blow @Stefan Mikes .
You are ignorant.
You have displayed it many times over.
Just post your ebike riding miles and I will will give you like.
Don't be a jerk
I personally personally don't care what brand ebike you ride.
Just keep it real.

So just getting back to topic. My charge limit doesn't seem to work anymore but I'm lucky enough to be retired so I just charge it up whilst having breakfast🙂

OK, so I'm happy to report that the 80% limit is working now on my '22 Creo.

I would be even happier if:
1. the firmware update had not been such an adventure (see thread titled Stuck Between Apps).
2. there were firmware release notes telling me the fix had happened. I had to discover it through its being mentioned here.
3. Specialized app could tell me version numbers so that I can tell when future updates are needed.

Back