Fat man bike; long time rider, but not ebikes

Find a normal bike that fits you well , possibly a steel frame like a surly. Get an BBSHD mid-drive installed a 52v 21ah battery and you can climb any hill you come to with just the throttle only. Guaranteed.

I have this and my bike can't do any of the steep stuff on it's own. There are a zillion hills around here steeper than 10% grade and I do have the standard 46 tooth sprocket. On the other hand I regularly do a road route back to my hacienda. It has really wide shoulders and I'm zipping along at 36mph on just the throttle. Then there's the 18% grade at the end uphill to the house. I'm definitely pedaling there. I think the OP would really like this/my setup cause at least you aren't stroking out on the uphills. And now the hills are no problem.

Lot’s of us have sorted cooling and can do hills with hub drives. See ebikes.ca
The latest proponent ofbmid drives only has only ridden a weak OEM hub build. There’s more than one way forward.? I’ve had every BBSxx version and still tide them but my 9C hub drivevwith cooling fins and Statoraide is a beast. Only a screw loose negates any other solutions. I dold and supported BBSxx series motors exclusively for 7 years. Good stuff but these evangelist promoters are boorish

Lot’s of us have sorted cooling and can do hills with hub drives. See ebikes.ca
The latest proponent ofbmid drives only has only ridden a weak OEM hub build. There’s more than one way forward.? I’ve had every BBSxx version and still tide them but my 9C hub drivevwith cooling fins and Statoraide is a beast. Only a screw loose negates any other solutions. I dold and supported BBSxx series motors exclusively for 7 years. Good stuff but these evangelist promoters are boorish
And BTW i no longer bother reading the gibberish. Check out the toy 20” bike promoters. Laughable.

Thanks everyone.
It has been so long since I actually thought about what I wanted in a bike that I have forgotten much. Your responses have refreshed my memory and goals.

Weight: The first few years of riding the Specialized 29er, I was blowing spokes. I am frugal...until I learned that being so is not always the best thing to do. I eventually bought a new set of wheels with 36H and heavier spokes. Haven't blown a spoke since. The disc's have been marginal due to my weight. I think I figured out long ago that the frame isn't really the important weight component but had forgotten that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Cost: At 65, I can afford an expensive bike considering how much I used to bike, and how much I plan to bike after retirement in December. I've been frugal to get the kids through college without debt, and I will have a federal pension; so, what the hell?

Chinese bikes: You guys got me scared on those. I really liked the Eunorau Specter ST until people mentioned reputation and grey metal. I bought two or three single wheel trailers for extended trips that were Chinese stuff and they all broke on the very first trips. I haven't had a problem after I bought the Bob. So, now, you guys reminded me that I need to be leery of the Chinese made imports.

I love everything about the Riese and Muller Supercharger Touring, with the 1250 battery option for multiday type trips, but it doesn't have a throttle. I've done environmental law enforcement for 41 years, mostly around mining operations, and have developed COPD from breathing in all that s*it. I'm thinking the throttle may be necessary at some point when I hit steep stretches (opinions?). You guys have me wondering how much do I really need that 160nM from the Bafang Ultra. It's not like I'm going to be riding like I did when I lived in NM and CO. So, I am open to the Bosch Performance CX now.
Awww, hell, I'm more confused than ever :)
Good thing about the BBSHD is you can dial it back. Leave it on assist 1-3 and when you're feeling like you want some more power crank it up for a steep hill and its a really tough motor.

Perhaps find an EBIKE dealer near you and try some out? Maybe something will click.

Day6 uses BBSXX motors and have throttle. But id kit rather than buy with a motor . Hes charging to much. Mine will be BBSxx kitted by me

I have this and my bike can't do any of the steep stuff on it's own. There are a zillion hills around here steeper than 10% grade and I do have the standard 46 tooth sprocket. On the other hand I regularly do a road route back to my hacienda. It has really wide shoulders and I'm zipping along at 36mph on just the throttle. Then there's the 18% grade at the end uphill to the house. I'm definitely pedaling there. I think the OP would really like this/my setup cause at least you aren't stroking out on the uphills. And now the hills are no problem.
Do you shift to low gear in the rear cassette ?

Day6 uses BBSXX motors and have throttle. But id kit rather than buy with a motor . Hes charging to much. Mine will be BBSxx kitted by me
BTW the 9C front hub drive crestes weird steering dynamics. OK i guess if you’ve never ridden anything but a delta trike with a front hub. I rellyblikd my trailer pulling trek pure ftont dd hub, but it steers very differently. No one way…

Do you shift to low gear in the rear cassette ?
Yup, I'm always in low. It's really steep here with lots of ups and downs. The 6% grade warning signs that you see on the highways is kid stuff. Before my conversion I would avoid many streets because the pitch was brutal. Now I go where I want. I'm not bitchin, the pedaling is not that bad most times. Even the super steeps are doable. The OP mentioned doing some forest service roads so he might be pedal assisting some. I'll take my level out and measure the pitches on my rides one of these days.

Edit: So, are you guys motoring up steep hills? What size chainrings do you have?

Yup, I'm always in low. It's really steep here with lots of ups and downs. The 6% grade warning signs that you see on the highways is kid stuff. Before my conversion I would avoid many streets because the pitch was brutal. Now I go where I want. I'm not bitchin, the pedaling is not that bad most times. Even the super steeps are doable. The OP mentioned doing some forest service roads so he might be pedal assisting some. I'll take my level out and measure the pitches on my rides one of these days.

Edit: So, are you guys motoring up steep hills? What size chainrings do you have?
Yeah same I live in Asheville , NC mountains. Lots of super steep inclines. I need to measure the hill behind my house I believes it's pretty close to 30 or 40 grade. I blew out my Lowes John Deere riding mower transmission after 7 years. Installed a tractor transmission in it a K66. Now this little unassuming mower climbs anything. On my bike I run a 52T FRONT and 34 rear , climbs well with 20 inch tires and I also have 28T front lekkie front that is crazy hill climbing , no pedaling but I lose top speed. I took to a hill near here that was near vertical and I fell off because the grade was so steep my body weight pulled me off but the bike was still climbing.

hubs can climb hills

That little double-gear Xiongda was a real disappointment. Luna had big hopes for it and it was every bit the performer it was advertised to be, but it just didn't sell according to the owner. Its a unicorn now. Don't make the mistake of thinking other 'normal' geared hub motors climb like it did. This was a very unique animal. I found only one seller on the interwebs that has them - or at least claims to have them - for sale today, but it looks like their web site went dormant in 2020. You could try going direct to the manufacturer.

The Luna MAC motors with ASI controllers are also long gone, but I believe @tomjasz has mentioned his GMAC.... GMAC motors are Grin-codeveloped MAC motors with controllers developed in partnership with ASI. Big coins for a hub, though. Before I finally found a replacement fat motor for the one I killed on my mid+hub 2wd bike, my last ditch choice was to spring the big coins for a GMAC and suck it up insofar as using that damned CA display.

That little double-gear Xiongda was a real disappointment. Luna had big hopes for it and it was every bit the performer it was advertised to be, but it just didn't sell according to the owner. Its a unicorn now. Don't make the mistake of thinking other 'normal' geared hub motors climb like it did. This was a very unique animal. I found only one seller on the interwebs that has them - or at least claims to have them - for sale today, but it looks like their web site went dormant in 2020. You could try going direct to the manufacturer.

The Luna MAC motors with ASI controllers are also long gone, but I believe @tomjasz has mentioned his GMAC.... GMAC motors are Grin-codeveloped MAC motors with controllers developed in partnership with ASI. Big coins for a hub, though. Before I finally found a replacement fat motor for the one I killed on my mid+hub 2wd bike, my last ditch choice was to spring the big coins for a GMAC and suck it up insofar as using that damned CA display.
Sadly Luna has some great staff, but the failed blather from their poker faced leader have long demeaned their successes. They slam Satiators, for instance, but only after Grin refused to supply them. There’s always more to the story. Everyone loves their pricing from Bafang but they have exponentially more profit being able to front the cost of containers loads. Of course that’s business, but the idea they’re somehow promoting the future is unadulterated bulls pizzle. It’s all about poker funding. The orange man of ebike resellers.

Well...I don't understand half of what you guys are saying. I guess I have a whole new bike language to learn. A few of you guys have suggested that I build out the Specialized I have; that intrigues me, but reading your responses tells me I know very little about ebike electronics. I've always just figured, given my size, I'd need the most motor and most battery available if I want to go on rides of any distance.
Since I first posted, my wife bought a Gazelle T10 Ultimate. She absolutely loves it, but she only rides on the paved roads.
Your best advice is to get on different bikes and ride them to see what I like, how it feels, and figure out what I will need. There aren't many ebikes in the few bike shops around here, so I may head down to Dallas for a weekend. Thanks gents. I appreciate your ideas and advice. I used to think I knew something about bikes...heh, not this category.

Velotric sells the Discover 1 which is spec'd with 440lb max load. I rode one last week and like it. Nice Black Friday sale going on right now, too.

Msrpwr
I ordered my Bafang kit from eBike Essentials. This is not a promo for them. However:
1. The parts are all stocked in the US although almost all of them are made in China.
2. The website tells you upfront if a part is out of stock.
3. I ordered on a Friday and it was shipped Monday and I had it that Friday.
4. The phone is answered by a person who has English as a first language.
5. They have a good guarantee which I didn't need to use.
The cons were:
1. The instructions could be better and clearer.
2. There are links to vids but see #1

I made some stupid mistakes but I got the job done. You don't need to know anything about electronics because all the plug ends are color coded and different so that this plug will only fit that plug. My advice is to do this yourself. For about $1600 you will have a kickass powerful bike and it's your bike. If you want more climbing ability then order the small front sprocket, if you want high top end get the big one. Also trying to order this and that from China direct just scares the crap out of me. And lastly, you probably don't want to try to get a bike mechanic to do the conversion for you. Most haven't and will be as slow and clueless as you. If they have then that might work out.

Well...I don't understand half of what you guys are saying. I guess I have a whole new bike language to learn. A few of you guys have suggested that I build out the Specialized I have; that intrigues me, but reading your responses tells me I know very little about ebike electronics. I've always just figured, given my size, I'd need the most motor and most battery available if I want to go on rides of any distance.
Since I first posted, my wife bought a Gazelle T10 Ultimate. She absolutely loves it, but she only rides on the paved roads.
Your best advice is to get on different bikes and ride them to see what I like, how it feels, and figure out what I will need. There aren't many ebikes in the few bike shops around here, so I may head down to Dallas for a weekend. Thanks gents. I appreciate your ideas and advice. I used to think I knew something about bikes...heh, not this category.
It's a pretty straight forward build to add it to your bike. Maybe a local bike guy around you can do it.
scoochy.jpg

If you want more climbing ability then order the small front sprocket, if you want high top end get the big one.
Careful with that advice. Any chainring less than 42T will mess up the chainline. One exception is the Lekkie 40T kit and that’s $160-$240.

52T can be hard on 02B and 01B motors.

There are many installation videos.

That's good to know I was wondering how low you could go. Mines a 46 which used to be included free. Now they charge $20. My original big sprocket that came with the bike was a 48. You say a 52 is bad on the O2B and O1B motors. What exactly is an O2B etc? I can offer the OP some advice if he wants to go this route. We could trade phone # if he wants. I'm far from an expert but I managed.

That's good to know I was wondering how low you could go. Mines a 46 which used to be included free. Now they charge $20. My original big sprocket that came with the bike was a 48. You say a 52 is bad on the O2B and O1B motors. What exactly is an O2B etc? I can offer the OP some advice if he wants to go this route. We could trade phone # if he wants. I'm far from an expert but I managed.
BBS02B and BBS01B are the Bafang mid-drives. They could be run with larger chainwheels but if not diligent about shifting and watching the heat in a long climb or lugging the motors can overheat the motors.

I've always considered 42T the sweet spot for BBS02B 48V 750W. We sold hundreds. The only advantage of a larger than 44T is some speed improvement. But IMO not worth it. Now the BBSHD is a different animal. But the speeds attainable aren't appropriate for most conversion barking systems.

Back