Electric Car thread

While the battery on your Leaf is air cooled (most EVs have water cooled batteries), I’m pretty sure it has a cooling system (liquid) to cool the motor and electronics…..and will require maintenance at some point too. Just say‘n! 😜
😄 Yeah, thanks. I kinda disregarded this cuz of the "at some point" is pretty far into the future. Pulled this off the 2020 Leaf manual (on line) for the coolant in the electric motor:
The recommended service interval of the factory filled coolant is 125,000 miles (200,000km) or 15 years, whichever comes first.

I'll make sure to put this on my calendar for 2026 or thereabouts.👍

😄 Yeah, thanks. I kinda disregarded this cuz of the "at some point" is pretty far into the future. Pulled this off the 2020 Leaf manual (on line) for the coolant in the electric motor:
The recommended service interval of the factory filled coolant is 125,000 miles (200,000km) or 15 years, whichever comes first.

I'll make sure to put this on my calendar for 2026 or thereabouts.👍
👍
…….also, it has a radiator, pumps and hoses that require the same maintenance and suffer the same failures as those on an ICE vehicle.

👍
…….also, it has a radiator, pumps and hoses that require the same maintenance and suffer the same failures as those on an ICE vehicle.
Most EVs don't have a radiator but may have a heat pump. Hoses and such for windshield wiper fluid probably but not much else.

It's very interesting because if you look at a Tesla and open the frunk, it's just as minimalistic as the passenger space. But open an ID.4, a Hyundai Ioniq 5, a Kia EV6... or even worse a Mercedes EQB and you'll see all sorts of conduits and hoses. Maybe Tesla just hides them better. :)

Most EVs don't have a radiator but may have a heat pump. Hoses and such for windshield wiper fluid probably but not much else.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true…..

Holy coolant lines! 🤪
1673128360401.png

Nissan Leaf radiator assembly. Looks very ICEish!

Last edited:

It's very interesting because if you look at a Tesla and open the frunk, it's just as minimalistic as the passenger space. But open an ID.4, a Hyundai Ioniq 5, a Kia EV6... or even worse a Mercedes EQB and you'll see all sorts of conduits and hoses. Maybe Tesla just hides them better. :)
there is a certain minimum,never get hung up on fandom, the other guys have good engineers as well.

There is no questions that there are many common similar parts between an ICE car and an EV.
But there is also no question that an ICE engine with its transmission has way many more high wear parts than an EV. And, the wear level of an ICE engine is way bigger dues to it very nature of an explosion engine converting Linerar alternate motion into rotation with friction at every level, versus a pure rotation motor induced by and electromagnetic field.
The result is, there is actually much less maintenance due to these facts.
People who have now had EVs for over 10 years can attest to that.

Last edited:
There is no questions that there are many common similar parts between an ICE car and an EV.
But there is also no question that an ICE engine with its transmission has way many more high wear parts than an EV. And, the wear level of an ICE engine is way bigger dues to it very nature of an explosion engine converting Linerar alternate motion into rotation with friction at every level, versus a pure rotation motor induced by and electromagnetic field.
The result is, there is actually much less maintenance due to these facts.
People who have now had EVs for over 10 years can attest to that.
No argument there! I was replying to claims that BEVs don’t have cooling systems to maintain…..which they do, and can actually be just as, if not more complex than ICE cooling systems.

Last edited:
There are EVs that has a battery system that's air cooled. An example of this is the Nissan Leaf. The majority of EVs on the market today have a water cooling system to regulate battery temperatures. Then there's someone like the Rav 4 Prime (plug in) that has two separate cooling systems-one for the battery and one for the ICE motor.

That’s no longer an issue. LG has fixed the issue with them as well as with Hyundai.
The bolt just got another recall for a possible in-cab fire.
Seems if the vehicle is involved in an accident the explosive charge that automatically tightens the seat belts can catch the carpet on fire.

That’s no longer an issue. LG has fixed the issue with them as well as with Hyundai.
Yeah, you may be right. I have a 2022 Hyundai Kona EV and so far so good after 1 year with the battery. I also have not heard of any recalls of 22's. The 19-21 models seem to have battery issues...

Seems if the vehicle is involved in an accident the explosive charge that automatically tightens the seat belts can catch the carpet on fire.
Just did that one

Yes, it’s nice that manufacturers are much more proactive when it comes to safety recalls. Hyundai actually had a bigger recall a few months prior for the same exact issue but I bet a much smaller number of people knew about that.

Are there EVs without batteries?

Last edited:
Are there EVs without batteries?
Try a diesel-electric locomotive and some heavy-duty mining equipment, while they have a Diesel engine they are electric drive. Probably have a battery for starting the diesel engine or air start. Some old electric "shovels ran off of cables

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s necessarily true…..
Sure... but it's also not the type of radiator you see in an ICE car. And as others have said, there are various options for cooling like air cooled or liquid cooled that may be closed systems.

EVs are more efficient in that the motors don't generate a large amount of heat like combustion engines (hence why most EVs you see have minimal or zero vented grills).

Most of the cooling is needed for the batteries which your diagram demonstrates.

That's also why some EVs have heat pumps because they can't use the engine to generate the heat needed for HVAC for the passengers.

Back