Electric Car thread

The trucks that NBC lied about exploding and then settled a lawsuit regarding their lies? Those trucks? They were caught rigging the tests with incendiary devices under the truck to sure they'd catch fire.
it could have happened the thing was a lot of tanks ruptured without igniting,nbc used squibs to ignite the fuel apparently the 73 model cars didnt need squibs to ignite the fuel hot exhaust and sparks were sufficient one way farm boys got burnt up was trying to refuel a hot tractor with the gas tank above the engine. still i wonder how many people got burnt from in cab gas tanks? dang gm had to recall 40,000 trucks over potential fire hazard gm sez it knew of 24 that actually happened.survey said over 2000 people were killed in fires resulting from side mounted tanks seems the other truck makers were prescient enough to mount the tanto one of the safest cars on the road have havehave made the pinks under the center of the vehicle and apparently one the worst offenders on the newer silverado fires were duramax diesel equipped with block heaters and there was some kind of a brake defect that could kindle the others the newer ones, maybe evs arent so bad after all, however how many vehicles were "helped" to burn for whatever reason? seems like it could have happened, seen a farm truck or two that were wrecked,mysteriously roll down a hill and have a claim turned in on them. it seems the bean counters nixed a few features that would made the pinto one of the safest cars on the road( the ground hugging weight wasnt one of them-think fuel cell and maybe airbags)

Last edited:
Here's one way to do it: ;)

Screenshot (51).jpg

"The Kingswood? "You're not taking the Kingswood! I just shampooed the battery!"

I have no idea what he means, but I found it hilarious all the same.

I seriously looked into buying a used Prius to see how I liked it. Same good insurance coverage as on my truck was almost $1600 annually vs $900 for the truck or Xterra. Since it wouldn't replace a current vehicle the insurance plus registration alone would fully pay for ~6000 miles fuel for either the truck or xterra, which is about my current annual mileage for each. So in comparison, driving my truck with "free" fuel won out, not to mention purchase price and upkeep that prius ownership would entail. Interestingly same insurance quote on a used Ford c-max was about $500 less than the Prius but frequently reported transmission issues with the c-max crossed it off.
As an aside the smell (or memory of the smell) from shovelling horse manure daily would probably make the average person feel more "ill" than a twice. a month, few minutes, filling their tank with diesel.

I bought my used 2010 Prius with 100k + mi. for $6500 back in 2016.
Currently it has over 260k mi., cost me about $300 to insure (liability only), still get around 50 mpg.
Original HV battery, original engine. I still drive it 300 mi. per week.
WsR5ofg.jpg

"Despite the bad press, half of America is still considering an EV or hybrid car — they just want them to be cheaper
Nora Naughton Jan 25, 2024, 8:01 AM EST"
I suppose this is a good thing, but there is a big difference between considering and actually buying. I've been looking at EV's for 2 years now but a lot will have to change before I buy.

In my case, an EV would only be practical for short trips where I can charge at home. IMO, long distance travel is out of the question due to the abysmal condition of charging stations. I'm sure this varies with location but around here, there are long wait times at charging stations due to the alarming number that are out of service.

Due to the lack of trained service technicians, maintenance of these charging stations is near non existent. Conversely, if a gas pump breaks, there is someone there to fix it within hours.

I'm sure all this will change in the future but for now, I'll remain in the "considering" category.

I suppose this is a good thing, but there is a big difference between considering and actually buying. I've been looking at EV's for 2 years now but a lot will have to change before I buy.

In my case, an EV would only be practical for short trips where I can charge at home. IMO, long distance travel is out of the question due to the abysmal condition of charging stations. I'm sure this varies with location but around here, there are long wait times at charging stations due to the alarming number that are out of service.

Due to the lack of trained service technicians, maintenance of these charging stations is near non existent. Conversely, if a gas pump breaks, there is someone there to fix it within hours.

I'm sure all this will change in the future but for now, I'll remain in the "considering" category.

Charging infrastructure maintenance is definitely the biggest factor holding back more adoption. We’re lucky enough to have a home in which we can have a level 2 charger installed but apartment dwellers and people on road trips will need to have a reliable public charging solution.

I bought my used 2010 Prius with 100k + mi. for $6500 back in 2016.
Currently it has over 260k mi., cost me about $300 to insure (liability only), still get around 50 mpg.
Original HV battery, original engine. I still drive it 300 mi. per week.
WsR5ofg.jpg
$300 for an entire year or 6 months? I'm not one to buy the cheapest insurance.
I came very close on the Prius but given that I'm not going to give up my truck or Xterra it didn't make economic sense. I preferred the Ford C-max in some ways but it lacked Toyota durability, especially with a transmission prone to failure.

Charging infrastructure maintenance is definitely the biggest factor holding back more adoption. We’re lucky enough to have a home in which we can have a level 2 charger installed but apartment dwellers and people on road trips will need to have a reliable public charging solution.

Without a doubt. Even though flying often makes more sense, everybody I know that doesn't want an EV cites road trips. Having road tripped across the US in a few EVs I tend to agree.

With Tesla, the problem of road tripping is largely solved outside of remote areas (Calsbad Caverns was a tougher trip last we took it 3 years ago requiring driving slightly under the speed limit). Non-Tesla cars are at the mercy of the Electrify America experience. Having been burned by faulty EA chargers too many times to count, I understand if people don't want to experience the pain and uncertainty of that system.

Also doesn't help that Americans want to drive large inefficient SUVs and trucks over sedans which have more range and quicker charge times.

"Despite the bad press, half of America is still considering an EV or hybrid car — they just want them to be cheaper
Nora Naughton Jan 25, 2024, 8:01 AM EST"
Kia is planning on releasing, they say in 2025, an EV with an MSRP of $25,000, and a sodium ion battery:

According to that video the battery will be LiFePO4, not sodium ion and the projected price is $30,000 based on the audio part of the video. Sodium ion still has challenges including lower energy density and low cycle life compared to lithium ion.
Here is a good overview including a balanced pros/cons discussion.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a sodium ion EV in the US until if and when the challenges can be met.

It doesn't matter what the battery chemistry is, you still have to find a place to charge it. :(

I'm holding out for nuclear fusion. :)

$300 for an entire year or 6 months? I'm not one to buy the cheapest insurance.
I came very close on the Prius but given that I'm not going to give up my truck or Xterra it didn't make economic sense. I preferred the Ford C-max in some ways but it lacked Toyota durability, especially with a transmission prone to failure.

$300 annual, $150 per 6 month (liability ony).
For a 14 year old car with 267k mi., that's been paid in full, there is not much need for collision coverage.
I insure multiple cars and have good driving record and motorcycles, too.
All of my cars are at least 10 years or older, zero car loans.

I do see hybrids as a valid and worthwhile stepping stone for those who routinely travel great distances and are afraid to take the BEV plunge. We sold our hybrid when we realized it was sitting for months unused while we drove the 150 mile range EV everywhere. The hybrid (Prius) did come in handy for those 4-5 hour trips out of state, but it was noisy, uncomfortable, lackluster, and tiring to drive. We had loved it before the EV, but...that love turned sour when we realized the hybrid was just taking up space, costing insurance and taxes and tags while rarely being used, and depreciating at the same time.

In retrospect, I wish I'd sold it years before when it was worth more, and simply rented a car when I wanted to do a long trip. I would have saved far more money in the long run renting rather than having a hybrid at my beck and call.
You have good points. My annual commute from Wisconsin to our winter home in Arizona is not feasible with an EV — especially considering how much stuff we haul back and forth. We would need to add a day or two to our 1,800mi drive which also means more hotels, food, etc.

Those concerns were bolstered last Spring while traveling back to WI. The EV charging stations at the 2 hotels we stopped at had been vandalized with their power cords cut off. No charging opportunities there for the overnight travelers.

We bought a Honda CR-V Sport Turbo Hybrid Last April. We also carry 2 ebikes on a rear carrier. Great fun car to drive. Plenty of power and all of the creature comforts we deserve.

I garage a Toyota Camry XSE with a powerful V6, and a Honda S2000 roadster. Both are also very fun to drive. I don’t anticipate depleting the stable any time soon.

Back