Electric Car thread

I will say that choosing a likely EV has been a heck of a lot easier than choosing either of my ebikes 🤣! Oh, how I agonized over both my La Free and Flow! They're very different from each other, and I love them both... Maybe those two experiences have influenced the decision-making for the Kona 😁.

Of course, like an ebike, I won't know if it's a good fit until I drive the car...

If you're carrying a fire axe. Most people don't carry extinguishers in the cars, let alone an axe. If you're in the car, and you have one, you probably couldn't get enough of a swing to break it. Some safety features in cars are making people less safe, some due to general human nature, some because they create unsafe situations.
i assumed first responders were there ,show the car glass i cannot break with a delinator sharp rock ,car jack, any number of things, desperate situations call for disparate measures i watched a guy shooting hellish thick "unbreakable jet plane window a 50 caliber pistol destroyed it funny little story bill lear( maker of the beloved 8 track and lear jet) had an indestructable windsheild from a learjet( resist bird strikes and the like) he always like to take a hammer to it or have a guest do it, one day someone took a swing and the thing shattered in to pieces bill was very taken aback.helped move some bulletproof windows that a billionaire didnt use in his concrete "eagles nest" very thick and heavy-you wouldnt put that in a car when i was young and"bad" i basically put my fist through a piece of the "chicken wire" glass i hit it just right and all it did to my fist basically was a couple of skinned knuckles( fortunately) the story sounds suspicous to me however a metal fire would incinerate you in short order,

27 people died in Pinto fires, and it was pulled off he market. There's 44 or more deaths associated with EV fires, and no one blinks.
funny little story, the 73 model pinto had a bad rep, every other 73 model car tested suffered the same fate,pintos were in production 8 or so years had a 80 model pinto little piece of crap

27 people died in Pinto fires, and it was pulled off he market. There's 44 or more deaths associated with EV fires, and no one blinks.
f lee baily ( of oj fame) got gm off the hook on the dangerous side mounted gas tanks on chevy pickups all gm had to do was send a $200 coupon to the owners of the trucks with the side mounted tanks toward the purchase of a new gm truck. sorry about the caps this machine doesnt have caps lock and its a several step process to produce a capital letter always wondered about the safety of the cab mounted gas tanks.

f lee baily ( of oj fame) got gm off the hook on the dangerous side mounted gas tanks on chevy pickups all gm had to do was send a $200 coupon to the owners of the trucks with the side mounted tanks toward the purchase of a new gm truck. sorry about the caps this machine doesnt have caps lock and its a several step process to produce a capital letter always wondered about the safety of the cab mounted gas tanks.
The trucks that NBC lied about exploding and then settled a lawsuit regarding their lies? Those trucks? They were caught rigging the tests with incendiary devices under the truck to sure they'd catch fire.

Me too; I just shut off the engine.
It doesn't speak much for EVs when owners point out one of their favorite features being listening to the radio in a garage, which as you point out any ICE vehicle can do without CO poisoning unless operated by a suicidal person or an imbecile and it doesn't speak too badly of ICE vehicles if one of the worst features is faint smell of fuel when tanking up - unless they can't figure out how to operate a pump without spilling fuel on their shoes (actually an argument that has been made, minus the shoes, to mandate station attendants in Oregon).

Last edited:
It doesn't speak much for EVs when owners point out their favorite features being listening to the radio in a garage, which as you point out any ICE vehicle can do without
It does not speak much of the EV bashers when they nitpick the superficial arguments while ignoring the wealth of serious benefits discussed at length.
:)

Last edited:
There was a Ford commercial in the early 2000s when the mammoth Excursion SUV (with 44 gallon tank to boot) was marketed showing it running over a rock and crushing it. Maybe Rivian can buy the rights from Ford since a Rivian weighs about the same as the Excursion did. Funny how the Excursion was considered a pariah for red necks while the Rivian is fashionable for the enlightened intent on saving the planet for their grandchildren.

It does not speak much of the EV bashers when they nitpick the superficial arguments while ignoring the wealth of serious benefit discussed at length.
I'm not an EV basher, I'd be interested if they were up to the task, maybe they will be someday. I only pointed out what some EV fans listed in this thread what they felt were major advantages of their EVs and main complaints regarding ICE.

It does not speak much of the EV bashers when they nitpick the superficial arguments while ignoring the wealth of serious benefit discussed at length.
Hopefully it's not considered that I bash EVs; I ignore them.

That said, "serious" benefits? I've read minor benefits, but the disadvantages far outweigh the benefits if one lives where it is hot or cold, or drive further than around town.

It doesn't speak much for EVs when owners point out one of their favorite features being listening to the radio in a garage, which as you point out any ICE vehicle can do without CO poisoning unless operated by a suicidal person or an imbecile and it doesn't speak too badly of ICE vehicles if one of the worst features is faint smell of fuel when tanking up - unless they can't figure out how to operate a pump without spilling fuel on their shoes (actually an argument that has been made, minus the shoes, to mandate station attendants in Oregon).
To say nothing of those who don't seem to understand when a little joke had been made, and make it into another opportunity for further EV (and EV owner) bashing 😁.

To say nothing of those who don't seem to understand when a little joke had been made, and make it into another opportunity for further EV (and EV owner) bashing 😁.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I didn't realize it was a joke and I'll keep that brand humor in mind when reading posts in the future. I guess I should have known since they also mentioned shoveling manure daily without complaint.
"I remember being sick to my stomach watching a diesel fuel dispenser's dollar count rise and rise and rise as I stood at a distance from this cruddy pump locked on the F250 truck's fuel intake, spewing out noxious fumes as that diesel poured into the tanks. Even thinking back to it now it makes me ill."

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I didn't realize it was a joke and I'll keep that brand humor in mind when reading posts in the future. I guess I should have known since they also mentioned shoveling manure daily without complaint.
"I remember being sick to my stomach watching a diesel fuel dispenser's dollar count rise and rise and rise as I stood at a distance from this cruddy pump locked on the F250 truck's fuel intake, spewing out noxious fumes as that diesel poured into the tanks. Even thinking back to it now it makes me ill."
I had a Suburban with a 44gallon tank. Then Costco set the max limit for fill to $100. Just to fill the tank I had to stop, swipe cards again, and start filling. I could feel the hate of the people behind me, especially fuel was high, because I'd get about half way through then have to restart. But, I'd get about 600 miles to a full tank just running around the area, so that was nice. I'd fill it once a month. My Sierra has a 32 gallon tank, I try to fill it before it gets below a 1/4 tank.

Just got a text from a buddy of mine that's one of those mysterious industry insiders, and the word is the next model Cybertrucks are going to be coming with factory Corinthian Leather seats.

Just got a text from a buddy of mine that's one of those mysterious industry insiders, and the word is the next model Cybertrucks are going to be coming with factory Corinthian Leather seats.

I'll confess to looking that up as well - hilarious reading! I particularly liked

" Literary scholar Paul Fussell, in his 1991 book BAD – Or, The Dumbing of America, claimed that the name was chosen "because a reference book suggested that Corinthian connotes rich desirability", so as to appeal to people who love luxury, as the people of Ancient Corinth were said to. Fussell then advanced that the love of the Corinthians for luxury was "why Saint Paul selected them to receive one of his loudest moral blasts. He told them, 'It is reported that there is fornication among you...'" Fussell added that whoever came up with the term would have to admit that they "never saw Corinth at all".[12]"

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get my head around who or what cyberfks are targetting. Definitely a different culture over here in Aus - EV's have vegan biodegradable recycled leather like substitutes ( expensive vinyl for enlightened types ) . I guess luxury and sport vehicles have euro leather, because clearly their cows have softer skin.....so I guess an ancient Greek city ticks all the Euro vintage recycled advertising boxes? Would sir like the salami or olive upgrade?

I'd buy a truck with tough texas tradie seats, or better still - brahman buckets! Perhaps a capable 4x4 with billy goat leather? But ancient greek geek seats - pass!

Back