Electric Car thread

That's the solution for our Sprinter (440 watts + 400 AHr LiFePO4) parked outside. Not so much for our garaged Subaru.
Put a small panel outside with wires terminated after a charge controller in a standard plug. Attach other end of plug and let it hang down inside the fender but not long enough it gets wrapped around stuff.

Put a small panel outside with wires terminated after a charge controller in a standard plug. Attach other end of plug and let it hang down inside the fender but not long enough it gets wrapped around stuff.

Easier to trickle charge with NOCO when we are gone for 3+ weeks which is seldom.

The other potential problem is the voltage drop between panel (outside) and charge controller (inside) with 20'+ cable pair (40' round trip). Could go to Blueseas calculator to confirm, but van design has 8 gauge wire with16' round trip between panels and controller. Fully agree solar is great solution in many (most) cases.

I have a double leaf driveway gate at the end of a 200 ft driveway and have used automatic gate openers for >20years with tens of thousands of open/close cycles. The openers came with a small 12v agm battery and a low voltage charge cable that I ran from my house. The battery was inadequate resulting in blown fuses in the control box whenever there were high winds stressing the motors and eventually field mice chewed through the low voltage cable. I soon switched to solar panels and a 12v deep cycle battery and have run that setup without issues since. I've only had to change the deep cycle battery once and that was over 10 years ago. I'm thinking the constant charge in light hours of the day helps extend the battery life. Solar is great for some applications like this.

I think it's 2 years free charging, but they do give a complimentary level 2 setup, and $600 towards installation. I'm checking to see if Hyundai dealerships are charging opportunities, also.

I'll let you know if I find one to rent!
Going to have to wait until we return to NC to rent or test drive the Kona... It's not available for sale (yet?) in green green WA State 🤬. I'd have to go to Oregon to find one! Hope it's available in NC!

Last edited:
It's not an ideal situation selling expensive new tech cars where the part that is more than half the value of the vehicle is seen as a tech that has to be replaced as soon as possible with something safer, more reliable and much better performance.

I'll wait thankyou

Going to have to wait until we return to NC to rent or test drive the Kona... It's not available for sale (yet?) I'm green green WA State 🤬. I'd have to go to Oregon to find one! Hope it's available in NC!
Are you scouting for a 2023 or a 2024?

It's about time!
By: Plug In America
Published: 01.22.2024

The signs of an EV future

20240124_161259.jpg
As regular drivers, you’ve all seen signs along the highway pointing you to gas stations, food, and lodging. Now, you’ll be able to locate EV charging stations in the same way, using highway signage. Recently, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) updated the national manual on what kind of signage can be added along highways across the country. Notably, the new signage helps to ensure that EV drivers and EV-interested consumers are easily able to locate charging stations the same way that gas vehicle drivers can ...

Finally!! I've been waiting for this development for *years*. The only way I can find fast chargers now are: 1. Randomly spotting them by eye (good luck with that because they tend to be unobtrusive and hidden except for the Tesla Superchargers), 2. Are NEVER advertised by signage, 3. Require phone or computer apps to locate them, 4. Require your e-car's navigation to tell you where chargers enroute.

The wheels of the government grind slowly, but geez...this has taken way too many years to be implemented. I know they won't go up overnight, but I'll still be excited to see the first one.

Screenshot_20240124_162542.jpg

It's about time!
By: Plug In America
Published: 01.22.2024

The signs of an EV future

As regular drivers, you’ve all seen signs along the highway pointing you to gas stations, food, and lodging. Now, you’ll be able to locate EV charging stations in the same way, using highway signage. Recently, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) updated the national manual on what kind of signage can be added along highways across the country. Notably, the new signage helps to ensure that EV drivers and EV-interested consumers are easily able to locate charging stations the same way that gas vehicle drivers can ...

Finally!! I've been waiting for this development for *years*. The only way I can find fast chargers now are: 1. Randomly spotting them by eye (good luck with that because they tend to be unobtrusive and hidden except for the Tesla Superchargers), 2. Are NEVER advertised by signage, 3. Require phone or computer apps to locate them, 4. Require your e-car's navigation to tell you where chargers enroute.

The wheels of the government grind slowly, but geez...this has taken way too many years to be implemented. I know they won't go up overnight, but I'll still be excited to see the first one.

View attachment 170170

We’re are in early days but that’s encouraging. If driving an EV other than a Tesla on road trip, tools like ABRP and PlugShare are a necessity. Not to mention all the various apps for each different station.

1706133854605.png

I would really like a 24 - it's a bit larger so more rear passenger space for the grandkids, and it has a few other upgrades that I like...
I noticed the 2024 model range is really really good for the 65kWh battery at 260 miles to the charge. Appears to be super efficient as well for m/kWh.

I hope one comes available soon for you to try. I'd love to hear your impressions...and what a hitch install for your e-bikes will cost. My son installed the hitch on my Ariya (just getting a hitch for this car was an *unbelievable* drama - it had to be shipped from Japan because Nissan refused to sell the hitches in the US), but the Rivian came with a 2" hitch already.

If driving an EV other than a Tesla on road trip, tools like ABRP and PlugShare are a necessity. Not to mention all the various apps for each different station.
Google Maps, which is the route planner I use, have recently added EV charging stations to their waypoints. I tend to use PlugShare to find the chargers because user comments will give a heads up for any station problems. I don't have much experience with ABRP, but maybe I better start educating myself. It seems a lot of people like it over every other nav app.

There's a video out there of a CT trying to get up a slight incline in a driveway with about 5" of snow, and it couldn't make it. It snowed here last week. I took my truck out, with it's worn tires and went up and down several farm lanes that hadn't been touched, all 4" or more deep, in 2WD and had no problem. I did not try it with TC turned off, as I saw no point in doing so. I did put it in 4WD because I had to go several miles up a completely covered road, I took my time, navigated the curves and made it in an out without a bit of slipping or spinning. I had ABS kick in once. I'm betting the issue with the CT was someone that has little experience in driving in snow, and just figured the truck would have no problem. His excuse was that any truck would have the same problem because the fanbois can't say anything bad about their Tesla.
snow driving is a skill, ice is even worse.

One of my issues with EV's is the secondary market. It's going to be virtually non-existent. I don't buy new cars, I have no desire to take out a loan on something that loses so much value in such a short time. Leasing is out of the question because I do not want to be limited to miles or pay more at the end of the lease. I like buying used cars in decent shape, fixing as what they need, I do most of the work myself. I don't expect any used car to have no problems and accept that they all need some work. Buying a used EV would be a disaster if it need a new battery. Sure a used ICE might need a new engine, but that's far less than what I've seen for costs for a new battery. Plus of many cars I've owned, I've never needed such a major repair. My dead suburban went to the scrapyard in the sky with 227K miles on it, and it still had a lot to go. When I got it I put less than $600 into it for actual repairs plus a new set of tires, and it was a 1999. I do miss the days of driving to the scrapyard and finding a car like mine and getting the parts I need.
what made it die so early have heard there is a planned(wait for it) practical limit of 220k miles wonder if that was the case, one thing that bugs me on the newer gms is all the hidden different computers

Google Maps, which is the route planner I use, have recently added EV charging stations to their waypoints. I tend to use PlugShare to find the chargers because user comments will give a heads up for any station problems. I don't have much experience with ABRP, but maybe I better start educating myself. It seems a lot of people like it over every other nav app.

ABRP is good. You plug in your vehicle details and starting battery percentage and it will calculate the quickest routes based on current weather conditions, terrain and traffic. You can even pay their monthly subscription and pair it with an OBD reader for real time telemetry. I still wish we didn’t need tools like this for long drives but it’s the price of not buying a Tesla. Daily commutes on the other hand are a cake walk.

I noticed the 2024 model range is really really good for the 65kWh battery at 260 miles to the charge. Appears to be super efficient as well for m/kWh.

I hope one comes available soon for you to try. I'd love to hear your impressions...and what a hitch install for your e-bikes will cost. My son installed the hitch on my Ariya (just getting a hitch for this car was an *unbelievable* drama - it had to be shipped from Japan because Nissan refused to sell the hitches in the US), but the Rivian came with a 2" hitch already.
They are available in NC, so, sometime this spring, March-April...

ABRP is good. You plug in your vehicle details and starting battery percentage and it will calculate the quickest routes based on current weather conditions, terrain and traffic. You can even pay their monthly subscription and pair it with an OBD reader for real time telemetry. I still wish we didn’t need tools like this for long drives but it’s the price of not buying a Tesla. Daily commutes on the other hand are a cake walk.
I put my phantom Kona in Plugshare - whenever we're driving somewhere I check it out to see what my charging opportunities would/will look like away from home.

I put my phantom Kona in Plugshare - whenever we're driving somewhere I check it out to see what my charging opportunities would/will look like away from home.
Don't get too confident on the availability. My experiences for the past 2 years in CA where we have a supposed great charging infrastructure have been mixed and mostly discouraging. Even if you find a live charger, you still may not be able to charge unless you call the 800 number and wait for a service human to clear the machine. Hang on to your ICE cars folks, Merica is still takin baby charger steps...

Don't get too confident on the availability. My experiences for the past 2 years in CA where we have a supposed great charging infrastructure have been mixed and mostly discouraging. Even if you find a live charger, you still may not be able to charge unless you call the 800 number and wait for a service human to clear the machine. Hang on to your ICE cars folks, Merica is still takin baby charger steps...
90+% of my charging will be done at home 😁. 90+% of my driving is well within the range of the battery.

Back