Electric Car thread

As serious as I am about buying an EV in the near future. I'm digging a Francium exploration mine in my backyard as we speak. Half life might be an issue and will require a special suit for occupants.
View attachment 170271
Ahh, you fool. Join me in my lab where we're working on turning lead from car batteries into Francium. You can join now for a mere $500,00. Bring two friends to get them to invest too.

I'm in! I couldn't find any in my backyard :confused: .
Ok, this is really easy, you give me $500K, then you find two friends and have them give you $500K each, you give me $250K from each of them, and have them find two friends to give them $500K. It's fool proof, we'll get right on Francium production.

Sorry, changed my mind. Hanford reactor site is just up the river so I'm decided to partner with them. You're welcome to join us for a small fee to be paid in Starbucks an Target gift cards.

Sorry, changed my mind. Hanford reactor site is just up the river so I'm decided to partner with them. You're welcome to join us for a small fee to be paid in Starbucks an Target gift cards.
You're missing your chance to get in on the ground floor of what I like to call Pyramid Power. You know the great pyramid at Giza was a power alchemical power plant, right?

According to that video the battery will be LiFePO4, not sodium ion and the projected price is $30,000 based on the audio part of the video. Sodium ion still has challenges including lower energy density and low cycle life compared to lithium ion.
Here is a good overview including a balanced pros/cons discussion.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a sodium ion EV in the US until if and when the challenges can be met.
I stand corrected 😁, thanks

C'mon man! Don't be so impractical. I'm holding out for this accessory to allow for rapid charging virtually anywhere in the country. No lightning? - just run it over any high tension power line available.
Usually not a good idea to get a first year model. You should wait for the upgraded model powered by Mr Fusion. Doc Brown was supposed to have it ready by 2015. But I guess maybe we are in the wrong timeline...

1000007398.jpg

Yeah, I miss the Macan. Dont miss the 1000 dollar oil changes though! Or the 6 dollar gas....
Maybe you can have your Porsche Macan back without that $1k oil change charge...

GOODBYE GAS

Major automaker confirms it will completely abandon gas car after unveiling it’s first-ever electric SUV​

The famous manufacturer has electrified one of its models​

By M.A. Loreto of the US Sun. Published: 17:53 ET, Jan 26 2024

A LUXURY carmaker has confirmed the release of an EV model that'll replace the original gas version. The news were shared this week, with the new vehicle expected to enter production in the latter half of 2024.

Porsche has announced their electric Macan SUV. It's the first time when the brand has electrified one of its models, reports The Verge. The gas version of the Macan will remain for sale for the next couple of years, but the carmaker is preparing to phase it out. Starting 2026, the gas-run Macan will no longer be available for sale from Porsche.

Just bought the wife a C3 at a Kia showroom.
It's full of some amazing looking KIA EVs.
Firstly the sales guy told me they are all from Russia no less, and no one's buying them.
He said the depreciation is so bad that they have to charge more for a two year old on finance than you pay to buy it new.
They had a Peugeot 2008 EV, 37 grand new, two years old, 15 grand and no one wants it

Firstly the sales guy told me they are all from Russia no less, and no one's buying them.
He said the depreciation is so bad that they have to charge more for a two year old on finance than you pay to buy it new.
They had a Peugeot 2008 EV, 37 grand new, two years old, 15 grand and no one wants it
Are you saying all the Kia EVs are from Russia?

And you trusted this guy? My experience with salesmen says they often know squat about anything, including the cars on the dealership lot. They are the best spreaders of misinformation alongside social media.

Saw a big ol' boxy Kia SUV van plugged into the free Level 2 charging unit at the grocery store yesterday. Ugliest thing ever. Have no idea the model, but it was a BEV, not a plug-in hybrid. Couldn't imagine why anyone would want to buy something that ugly unless they had 7 kids and were determined to drive only an ev.

Saw a Lucid earlier that morning on the freeway. Gorgeous car with an elegance that literally screamed money. Now that's a car I could easily see myself driving. Wish the company wasn't struggling at the moment because I would be severely tempted to get one.

Last edited:
In defense of my EV and my range anxiety due to charging issues that have been discussed ad nauseum, it's pretty awesome to have zero maintenance costs for over 2 years of ownership. No fluid changes, belts etc. No trips to gas stations. I think this is probably my last car. (I did put on 4 new tires-the stock tires were hard as a rock)

I envy you not having to make any more trips to the gas station. I still have to go for gas and diesel for the small and large tractors. Sucks that battery garden tractors and zero turns still aren't ready for prime time beyond the suburban landscape. For farm use they just aren't capable as yet. They are still making the newest battery garden tractors with those little bitty batteries. If I could outfit one with a marine battery, I'd be in heaven. Easy to recharge using a solar panel, or a plug in battery tender.

And you trusted this guy? My experience with salesmen says they often know squat about anything, including the cars on the dealership lot. They are the best spreaders of misinformation alongside social media.
Porsche and german car fanboys like to think their brand is beyond reproach, but in my experience car salesman of every single brand (Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc.) lie and spread verifiably false misinformation. It's a slimy industry.

Back