Electric Car thread

It doesn't happen often but California has been getting hit with a deluge of wind and rainstorms. We don't have a solar and battery backup setup at home yet. I've never experienced a power outage longer than half a day but just to satisfy the "just in case" thought, I bought an inverter that I can hook up to the EV. With this setup (and a fully charged vehicle), I can at least run our fridge, lighting and an induction stove for 2+ weeks.

1673462837312.png

It doesn't happen often but California has been getting hit with a deluge of wind and rainstorms. We don't have a solar and battery backup setup at home yet. I've never experienced a power outage longer than half a day but just to satisfy the "just in case" thought, I bought an inverter that I can hook up to the EV. With this setup (and a fully charged vehicle), I can at least run our fridge, lighting and an induction stove for 2+ weeks.
So you just hook this up to the 12v battery terminals and it's good? I didn't know the EV batteries charge the 12v. Can you do this with ICE vehicles?

Yes, it just hooks up to the 12V terminals and will work for ICE or EV. The traction (high voltage) battery will recharge the 12V battery as long as the vehicle is on. With an EV, you can keep the entire setup in a closed garage without fear of carbon monoxide poisoning.

You may need to turn the EV On and keep it on for the High Voltage battery to keep recharging the 12V.

To do that, on our Chevy Volt, we actually had to keep the Shift in Neutral and its button depressed, or else the car would eventually shut itself down after a while and stop recharging the 12V battery.

So you just want to monitor things, to see if your car goes to sleep after a while when left unused, and if in that mode it stops recharging the 12V battery or not

You may need to turn the EV On and keep it on for the High Voltage battery to keep recharging the 12V.

To do that, on our Chevy Volt, we actually had to keep the Shift in Neutral and its button depressed, or else the car would eventually shut itself down after a while and stop recharging the 12V battery.

So you just want to monitor things, to see if your car goes to sleep after a while when left unused, and if in that mode it stops recharging the 12V battery or not

Yup. Saw a YouTube video with this exact setup. Turn on car, put in neutral, exit from the passenger side (or use the broom stick trick to turn car on without opening the driver's door 😀), turn on the inverter and then turn on the appliances.

View attachment 144439

You might want to do a trial run before relying on that - a 1200 w inverter might struggle with the on / off surge load from the average home fridge, never mind the induction stove.

You might want to do a trial run before relying on that - a 1200 w inverter might struggle with the on / off surge load from the average home fridge, never mind the induction stove.
For sure. I did watch a few videos of folks with similar inverters and their fridges hooked up to a power meter to monitor the initial surges when the motors kick on. Got it in last night and will likely do a run when I get home. 👍🏽

That's why the EV trucks are cool... just use the outlets in the bed or frunk.

Some of the newer EVs have the V2L adapter too.

Hah... couldn't figure out what that "phone" cord was for but it's for the "remote" control. This is like old school technology... where's the modem? :)

That's why the EV trucks are cool... just use the outlets in the bed or frunk.

Some of the newer EVs have the V2L adapter too.

Yup. This solution is definitely an improvised solution to those "V2L" features. Until we get a solar + battery backup setup at our house, this inexpensive device will do just fine for the necessities.

Had a chance to look at the new 2023 Nissan Ariya yesterday. Had stopped at the dealership to fast charge my 2018 Leaf after 100 miles of running around yesterday with visits and errands, including a stop at the bike shop to see the stripped down frame of my new Gazelle before it is sent to the paint shop to be painted Rivian Blue to match my (hopefully to be delivered this year) Rivian electric truck. Had a wonderful tour of the 2023 - it was the 300 mile/charge top model with gobs of neat technology - and am seriously considering it. Hubby fell in love with the car from the second he saw it. Thinking I might drive back to the dealership today and see if I can go for a test drive in their test car (that the dealership owner was running around in yesterday).

I got see the Ariya at the LA Auto show and compared to the BZ4Xabcefg or whatever the Toyota one is called... the Ariya seems better to me. We also have a 2022 Leaf and we really like that car so I'm sure the Ariya would be a good buy.

We also have a 2022 Leaf and we really like that car so I'm sure the Ariya would be a good buy
That's good to hear that the car gave you such a favorable impression.

The only downside is that the Ariya is disqualified from the new (US) federal tax credit of $7,500 for EVs because it is built in Japan, not the US.😐 Sadly, some of these new rules being implemented seem to be shaped more as barriers to the current EV adoption for people newly entering this transportation revolution who would look forward to having a tax credit to ease the sticker shock.

I feel like the new rules are a classic case of too much restriction too soon. By the time most manufacturers have changed their lineup from ICE cars to EV's, the tax credit will be either going out the window or have already stopped being implemented because there will be no need to coerce people into buying EVS. Electric cars will be the only option.

That said, I am sort of ambivalent about the lack of tax credit for an Ariya purchase because we have the 30% credit for our new solar this year, and if I get my Rivian we will be taking the federal tax credit on that as well. Now that Nissan has finally come out with a car that gives me the 300 + mileage range I have wanted since the beginning, I plan to simply jump on it if I can find one and sell both of our remaining ICE vehicles to new homes.

BTW - I had tried out a Model Y about 2 years ago. Wasn't comfortable for me, and I really was a bit turned off by its looks. Did like the Model 3, but it was a sedan not the hatchback I needed. We had looked at the Bolt 4 years ago and it just wasn't my style (nor a manufacturer I liked or trusted). I've had two other Nissan cars in the past and loved both of them. Solid, dependable and comfortable. Hence my looking at the Ariya to replace our Prius. My 2018 Leaf will be gifted to my son who is about to become a first-time dad this spring. He and his wife want an electric car to go places with the baby, and the 2018 would be perfect. But that's only if I can get my hands on an Ariya first.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this but there is a current loophole in leasing that bypasses all the restrictions of purchase (build location, battery materials, MSRP, income) because the lessor gets the $7500 credit and then can choose to pass that on to the lessee. Ally Bank is passing on this credit (up to $7500... depending on brand), Mercedes and a few others.

Nissan has historically been very low on their leases so they may have some incentive on the Ariya in regards to leasing soon.

The Ariya I sat in was roomier than our Y, has the physical controls and driver display (not present in the Y) and will most likely have a better ride. Their price point is decent comparatively but don't expect Tesla speed.

Tesla is in a class by itself when it comes to speed. No one can hold a candle to it. I certainly bow to that superiority.

Leasing has never really entered my head. Guess too many decades of owning have put me firmly in that rut. If I was dependant on that tax credit, i would be open to exploring other options.

Tesla is in a class by itself when it comes to speed. No one can hold a candle to it. I certainly bow to that superiority.

Leasing has never really entered my head. Guess too many decades of owning have put me firmly in that rut. If I was dependant on that tax credit, i would be open to exploring other options.
You can typically lease for a while and then buy out the lease. I've heard of some who leased, then bought out the lease before the first payment was due.

You can typically lease for a while and then buy out the lease. I've heard of some who leased, then bought out the lease before the first payment was due.
That's what some flippers were doing for the Jeep Wrangler 4xe and Grand Cherokee 4xe. Chrysler was doing a $7500 rebate on the sale price (their PHEVs were eligible for full $7500 credit since they were built in NA) and then the flipper would sell it because the lease buyout was lower than current market offers.

Not sure about now because the used market prices have starting dropping... but for your own purchase... that's what some are doing... and using a Credit Union for the buyout because they have the lowest rates.

You basically save the $7500 now rather than waiting for tax time... and you skirt all the new requirements on EV/PHEVs (just need to check how the lessor is passing the credit on and how much).

Back