Electric Car thread

An EV commercial that wins them all, hands down!

YouTube video
Ram's new (coming soon) electric truck. Article
Except their EV Truck (which is just an electrified Ram, doesn't look like a whole new platform), won't be out until late 2024 (commercial even says 'Coming Late 2024'... which is ironic).

So the counter to them is that Ram prospective owners are going to suffer from ED... Electrification Delayed. :)

What what do you call it when an EV has to be left overnight at the dealership repair shop?
Electrificus Interruptus. ;)

With Tesla starting to open up the supercharger network to CCS cars, this is a nice start to hopefully urge other EV charging companies to improve their reliability. It’s good to know that if I’m ever in a pinch, I have 18 superchargers open around work.

1677699175205.png

Except their EV Truck (which is just an electrified Ram, doesn't look like a whole new platform), won't be out until late 2024 (commercial even says 'Coming Late 2024'... which is ironic).

So the counter to them is that Ram prospective owners are going to suffer from ED... Electrification Delayed. :)
Shame they can't be 'current".

With Tesla starting to open up the supercharger network to CCS cars, this is a nice start to hopefully urge other EV charging companies to improve their reliability. It’s good to know that if I’m ever in a pinch, I have 18 superchargers open around work.

I have noticed our Mid-Atlantic area has superchargers concentrated in the urban areas and along the major interstate toll roads at the service stations. Nice that I'll be able to use them (if they have the caps on them for CCS) for my new electric car which is CCS compliant.

The problem is in the "EV support desert" away from urban areas, Tesla superchargers and other Level 3 fast charging stations are still almost non-existant. At least there are tons of free Tesla destination stations, and free regular Level 2, everywhere now even in the " charging desert", and more popping up daily. I do carry a Tesla "tap" for using on Tesla destination chargers, but have yet to use it because regular J1772 Level 2s are widespread, handy, and easy/cheap for businesses to install.

The infrastructure is growing at a jogging pace. Just wish it was jogging more out on the fringes.

It will be a major convenience when the EV charge stations have canopies to park under and restrooms…

It will be a major convenience when the EV charge stations have canopies to park under and restrooms…
At the moment EV charging industries are planting charging facilities next to restaurants, malls, stores, grocery, fast food places, etc. that already incude restrooms and warm places to go sit and relax. Why build an overhead when your customers can stay happily tucked in their cars while charging, or wander off to have some food or shop and leave the car unattended?

At the moment EV charging industries are planting charging facilities next to restaurants, malls, stores, grocery, fast food places, etc. that already incude restrooms and warm places to go sit and relax. Why build an overhead when your customers can stay happily tucked in their cars while charging, or wander off to have some food or shop and leave the car unattended?
Yep. I see them popping up in strip malls that have the available parking lot space.

Also theaters and malls have EV chargers... eventually... there will be charging everywhere.

The feds need to revisit the 1956 law that prohibits EV charging stations at interstate highway rest areas:
There is a Level 2 charge station at the Battle Ground Rest Area on I-5 North in Washington, just a few miles north of Portland, OR. Upon reading the link it appears that EV charging isn't prohibited, it is that the sale of the energy is prohibited. This explains why this is one station on the West Coast Electric Highway which is free to use. Here is a link to it for those interested: https://www.plugshare.com/location/9116.

Interesting note: According to PlugShare, I last charged there on October 14, 2015.

Level 3 super charging stations are available all along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and along I95 in Maryland at their rest stop plazas. But not really elsewhere until the draconian "laws" against EV charging at all interstate rest stops has been dealt a death blow by legislators once they finally board the EV train. Prior to that modern legislature will continue to mimic the legislators in the 1880-1890s who supported rediculous laws against the new fangled automobile which threatened the livelihood of the deeply entrenched horse-centric economy.

We know how those laws worked out when the 1920s rolled around, and the car became king.

634480987c257.image.jpg

"The initial phase of VDOT’s plan will focus on installing EV charging stations along the state’s federally mandated Alternative Fuel Corridors — which run along the interstate routes and total more than 1,000 miles." Reported Oct 2022.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that article not only misses on a major level, but it's very slanted reporting to make a non issue into "an issue". Spent time to read it to see if it had anything of value. Just found misinformation, outright lies, and inflated data to make nothing look like something. Click bait reporting. Might as well write about red cars being more expensive to repair, even for minor scratches, or engine failures due to people who drive them faster and harder than other colors, to the point where they are scrapped instead of being fixed, leading to higher insurance rates and staggering numbers filling the junk yards more than any other color. Oh, yeah, not to forget the amount of CO to build them is worse because they are often sports cars who have massive engines that can't be reused in other vehicles.

I could easily use every aspect of the above article to write a similar article on the financial dangers and looming planet catastrophe as a result of red cars, and the world wide dilemma on how to solve the ever growing red car problems.

Last edited:
financial dangers and looming planet catastrophe as a result of red cars
Fully agree on the red car thing. Have owned about 2 dozen motor vehicles in my lifetime; only one red one. Very expensive to run. Ate tires, fuel tank always needed filling, wheels damaged hitting curbs, attracted police cars, higher insurance.

But it also could have been it was a new sportier car that was my kids car in high school.

There is a lot of EV disinformation being published, obviously pushed by people with a vested interest in preventing them to thrive...
Unfortunately, this happens with many other subjects today, an one has to always be on the lookout for such deceptive articles...

Sorry, but that article not only misses on a major level, but it's very slanted reporting to make a non issue into "an issue". Spent time to read it to see if it had anything of value. Just found misinformation, outright lies, and inflated data to make nothing look like something. Click bait reporting. Might as well write about red cars being more expensive to repair, even for minor scratches, or engine failures due to people who drive them faster and harder than other colors, to the point where they are scrapped instead of being fixed, leading to higher insurance rates and staggering numbers filling the junk yards more than any other color. Oh, yeah, not to forget the amount of CO to build them is worse because they are often sports cars who have massive engines that can't be reused in other vehicles.

I could easily use every aspect of the above article to write a similar article on the financial dangers and looming planet catastrophe as a result of red cars, and the world wide dilemma on how to solve the ever growing red car problems.
What was the misinformation?
What were the "outright lies"?
What data was inflated?

Easy claims to make, if you don't have to back them up. But if you can back up the claims, please present facts. Inquiring minds want to know!

Fully agree on the red car thing. Have owned about 2 dozen motor vehicles in my lifetime; only one red one. Very expensive to run. Ate tires, fuel tank always needed filling, wheels damaged hitting curbs, attracted police cars, higher insurance.

But it also could have been it was a new sportier car that was my kids car in high school.
Been my observation that Birds will crap on a red vehicle before any others, haven't a clue as to why, they will only rarely "mess" on my white vehicles.

Been my observation that Birds will crap on a red vehicle before any others, haven't a clue as to why, they will only rarely "mess" on my white vehicles.
You just don't notice it as much on the white. Try parking around Mulberry bush where whiteish poop becomes purple poop.

You never want to leave a red car outside. Birds are attracted to the color (reminds them of food - berries, apples, lollipops, etc) and they will mark it as their own territory and lay waste to the paint with their white runny poop, as well as smudge the windows by fighting their own reflection in your side mirrors or door windows. There is a reason the term "bird brain" entered our lexicon by definition as "terminally stupid". Red cars belong is a garage, preferably one with no tools on the walls to fall and dent the body, and in a bay far away from a door which enables foot traffic to come and go and thus inadvertently smudge the sides of the car or result in groceries being put on the hood to leave the hands free to open aforementioned door. It is best to have the section containing the car secured with a cotton rope and soft rubber traffic cones so no one is tempted to invade the car's space. A shop vac could be kept near at all times to vacuum the car after every use so that foot dirt, or crumbs from your passenger's Chik-fil-A meal, aren't ground into the floor rugs/seat upholstery. A soft squeegie and Windex should also be at hand to keep the windshield clean and streak free. Finally a red crayon should be placed in the glove compartment for the (god forbid) time when a paint scratch happens. The crayon - which is made of wax - can disguise the scratch until more permanent measures can be arranged to fix the offending damage. Finally, the red car should only be taken out in perfect weather with full sunshine at the perfect azimuth to fully highlight the color and cause all onlookers to stand in admiring wonder, or drool in envy.

Red cars are quite beautiful, no matter what their age. The love of a classy red sports car is ingrained in our DNA. Women adore them, and men lust for them (well, actually men lust for both but we're not going to go there).

It goes without saying that a red electric car with its amazing torque and sleek styling á la 2020s are the pinnacle, but at this point that color is almost never seen outside of the super luxury EVs like Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, and Tesla. Not sure why. Black, white, and blue are the prevailing "everyman" EV colors at this stage in the game. I will say Tesla's new (starting this year) $3,000 optional Ultra Red paint for the S and X is one gorgeous color of red!!.
Screenshot_20230324_130138.jpg

I am now finding myself being tempted to paint one of my Gazelle ebikes a Tesla red.

Of course, should the red Tesla be damaged to the point of being totaled, the battery is still proprietary, and any wrecked Teslas are stripped of their batteries and reconditioned for the secondary market. Even if the batteries themselves are damaged, they are far too valuable to be tossed. That goes for any EV battery out there on the market.The damaged cells are replaced and the battery is resold, often being snapped up immediately by a waiting list of people in need. A big after-market infrastructure is growing in hopes of securing any and every EV battery for repurposing in other vehicles, the solar industry, or in use with a plethora of wide ranging economic operations needing a stand alone battery. The 3rd world countries are another emerging market for used batteries.

I wonder if a red EV battery would be worth more on the after market sales....
😋

Last edited:
Back