Electric Car thread

Like so many things in life, what works for you depends largely on your lifestyle, your budget and where you live. EV's may not be practical for everyone now but they will be at some point in the future. Whether it happens in my lifetime or not is the question.

Like so many things in life, what works for you depends largely on your lifestyle, your budget and where you live. EV's may not be practical for everyone now but they will be at some point in the future. Whether it happens in my lifetime or not is the question.
Some of these replies remind of the "young chickenhawk" vs 'Foghorn Leghorn" in the old cartoon, the young CH Pointed out to 'Foggy' that he was after all a 'chickenhawk" and it was axiomatic that Foghorn capitulate, of course the old Rooster wasn't going let that upstart get away with that.The point is the inexperinced and uniformed shouldn't try to let their opinions get in the way of reality. The point is," one size doesn't fit all, and we shold not diss those who are willing to try something new.
This"reset" really hurt some of us who were getting complacent and secure and were preparing to move unto better things and more self reliance, alas the "Cabal' triumphs again, showing people while the "money machine was humming" we have to rely on the gov't( no "Gault Gulch' for youins) Some nations have to eat crow now and go back to the reasonable approach( you cannot throw the oars away just because your lifeboat is flourescent orange and expect rerscue) [you have got hang unto what youv't got and dont let go unto you have a lot] the tech gets better everyday and is increasingly affordable( at least in the long veiw) I do not even watch those youtube videos made by some rich refugee from the hustle and bustle( who financed their retreat to begin with) about self reliance on their isolated mtn retreat, 100 acres of paradise, spending what most of us would consider a small fortune on wind and solar generation just to maintain their lifestyle if the grid goes down. I was much in awe of a Guy who spent a small fortune powering His compound with solar, till the batteries went bad and He either lacked the will or money to replace the batteries, you guessed it the local power provider blazed several thousand feet of right of way to His home to provide power. Before He passed He was trying to sell that very unhandy property. Comes a time when People have to give up on 'ideals" and stop worrying and enjoy being above ground for awhile, there is always give and take unfortunately there are too many takers these days .Ride your bike and drop the stress" Que Sera, Sera'!

My biggest concern is long term power outages, particularly during wide spread disaster events like hurricanes or wildfires. Fossil fuels can be imported into these hard hit areas via truck or pipeline. Electricity can't when the grid has sustained major damage. How are police, fire, EMT personnel and the general population going to get around if they can't recharge their vehicles? Sure, generators can be used at police, fire and EMT stations, but will every person with an EV have to maintain their own generator? What will power these generators when fossil fuels are a thing of the past?
That was my concern, too, albeit not the biggest (which was range anxiety)....until the day 2 years ago when a windstorm took out the local Grid for 3 days. Not an extensive amount of time, but it was the first time I had really worried how to recharge my car. After a certain amount of panic (but of course) I decided to see how widespread the outages were in my neck of the woods. Turns out it was pretty extensive with about a quarter of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the dark, but not everywhere. And those "not everywhere" places weren't that far from me AND had charging stations. A great sense of relief, to be sure, although I was miffed to not being able to charge at home. The closest "lights still on" was my favorite grocery store in a town 12 miles up the road. The closest "Level 3 fast charging" was 24 miles away, a pay to charge EVgo, as was my Nissan dealership 32 miles away with the free fast Level 3 charge.

So I went about life as usual. The gas stations in the blackout areas were closed with signs up. No electricity meant they couldn't pump gas. It would appear none had pre-thought about emergencies with a backup generator. They didn't appear bothered by hanging "closed " signs on the pumps, and going home. Fortunately the fire company and EMTs were in the "lights still on" zone, so no worries by them.

I decided I would do a late night shopping trip and plug in my car at the free Level 2 in the grocery store parking lot. I took a good book with me and relaxed for the 2 hours (Level 2 is a mere 7kWh) it took to recharge back to 100%.

I haven't been bothered since.

Now, a hurricane would wreak havoc on more widespread areas, but honestly if the Grid is down, that affects gas stations as well as residences. We have a number of neighbors around us that have the whole house generators that can easily recharge an EV while still running all the electric for the houses. It is easier to truck in a large generator for an emergency station that to try and deliver fuel with all the attending risks. And when fossil fuels are a thing of the past, solar panels will have already long been crowned king for our source of electric power

I agree that it is going to take time for all the nuances involved in the infrastructure to be sorted out and dealt with the most efficient way possible.

🎼"The world ..it is...a-changing. 🎶

Last edited:
That was my concern, too, albeit not the biggest (which was range anxiety)....until the day 2 years ago when a windstorm took out the local Grid for 3 days. Not an extensive amount of time, but it was the first time I had really worried how to recharge my car. After a certain amount of panic (but of course) I decided to see how widespread the outages were in my neck of the woods. Turns out it was pretty extensive with about a quarter of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the dark, but not everywhere. And those "not everywhere" places weren't that far from me AND had charging stations. A great sense of relief, to be sure, although I was miffed to not being able to charge at home. The closest "lights still on" was my favorite grocery store in a town 12 miles up the road. The closest "Level 3 fast charging" was 24 miles away, a pay to charge EVgo, as was my Nissan dealership 32 miles away with the free fast Level 3 charge.

So I went about life as usual. The gas stations in the blackout areas were closed with signs up. No electricity meant they couldn't pump gas. It would appear none had pre-thought about emergencies with a backup generator. They didn't appear bothered by hanging "closed " signs on the pumps, and going home. Fortunately the fire company and EMTs were in the "lights still on" zone, so no worries by them.

I decided I would do a late night shopping trip and plug in my car at the free Level 2 in the grocery store parking lot. I took a good book with me and relaxed for the 2 hours (Level 2 is a mere 7kWh) it took to recharge back to 100%.

I haven't been bothered since.

Now, a hurricane would wreak havoc on more widespread areas, but honestly if the Grid is down, that affects gas stations as well as residences. We have a number of neighbors around us that have the whole house generators that can easily recharge an EV while still running all the electric for the houses. It is easier to truck in a large generator for an emergency station that to try and deliver fuel with all the attending risks. And when fossil fuels are a thing of the past, solar panels will have already long been crowned king for our source of electric power

I agree that it is going to take time for all the nuances involved in the infrastructure to be sorted out and dealt with the most efficient way possible.

🎼"The world ..it is...a-changing. 🎶
Amen" not your Fathers Oldsmobile., surely most Folks here remember that little commercial.

Several years ago, one of my neighbor's trees blew down on the power lines feeding my area and took out 11 power poles in the 1.4 miles below me and an unknown number beyond my house. We were without power for several days while the power company replaced all the broken poles and restrung new lines. (The old ones didn't have much stretch which is why so many poles broke.) I already had an 8kW generator since our power went out often and it was needed to keep my basement from flooding. I merely built an extension cord to reach my EVs for charging. Any time the generator was running to power the house, I had my EV plugged in. It was easier than driving to one of the only charge stations in town, a L2. The nearest quick charge station was 30 miles away. With a 90-mile range EV at the time, that wasn't really an option.

Some day, I want to see what my miles/gallon would be if I used my generator to charge my EV. It probably won't be that great since I'm sure my generator isn't that efficient.

While I agree the disadvantages will slowly be whittled away the biggest long term risk is the finite quantities of minerals needed to fill the supply chain as well as the significant damage the open pit mining will inflict. I recognize batteries are moving away from cobalt but EVs still utilize it in electric motor manufacturing And the US’s major lithium supply sits smack dam in the middle of a nat’l forest land. personally I see hydrogen as a more viable long term solution just now in it’s infancy

Hydrogen…economical green (and blue) H will make its mark in industry before transportation which in itself would displace some hydrocarbons

Hydrogen…economical green (and blue) H will make its mark in industry before transportation which in itself would displace some hydrocarbons
I agree that hydrogen is relatively cheap and more easily stored but it takes energy to produce commercially. Burning fossil fuels, biomass or using electricity for electrolysis are the current methods. If you take fossil fuels out of the equation, that leaves biomass and electricity.

Can we create enough biomass to supply the nations demand for hydrogen? Can we burn it without polluting the air? We can make electricity using a variety of "clean" methods, why not just use it directly for transportation instead of converting it into hydrogen?

I'm no expert on this and I only know enough to ask the stupid questions.

IMO, advancements in technology will determine what we ultimately use to power our future vehicles.

Spoiler alert, most commercial H2 is made from NG and it has a host of problems all its own( Hindenburg actually wasnt)
New catalysts for making Hydrogen are making it more economic to produce.
Also Hydrogen production in the Gulf of Mexico via wind and transported via NG infrastructure to shore is proposed
spoiler alert…check your facts about the Hindenburg fire and its cause

New catalysts for making Hydrogen are making it more economic to produce.
Also Hydrogen production in the Gulf of Mexico via wind and transported via NG infrastructure to shore is proposed
spoiler alert…check your facts about the Hindenburg fire and its cause
Hydrogen may have been the cause, "GUNCOTTON OR SOMETHING SIMILAR WAS THE BLAZE( SPOILER ALERT H2 FLAME INVISIBLE( JUST BURN THE THE NG no neeed to complicate things-the Navy has done it for quite some time.

Food for thought. 🤔

If a driverless electric vehicle gets pulled over by the police, who gets the ticket? Interesting read:

For that matter, how do they pull it over in the first place?

Currently its not going to happen very often, the days of"Johnycab" are not here yet, the "Stinger" should work pretty well, supposedly the software or AI should recognize a flat and pull over iof the car will not stop a D8 or something large in the road should stop it,I remember a prick who had pillows and blankets in a Tesla( early days) do not know if that was a gag or not. Come to think of it driverless vehicles are not a good idea too much potential for abuse,I do not know why airliners do not have the potential to be remote steered to their airports and landed, there could be protocals that allowed this too happen.It is known that nutty piliots and terrorists seize airlines from time to time, not frequently, still too often. We need an airmarshal on every flight IMO.( open for rebuttal)

I saw a Rivian truck at the golf course yesterday. Did not realize they are 80k and that hard to find. Loved the look though...
I've been seeing them at the Level 3 charging stations. Great place to meet and chat with the owners. Even watched one arrive once and saw it "kneel" for the short stature female owner to alight. Thus far all I've spoken to love their Rivians. Same goes for the Ford Lightening owners I've met. Both trucks are expensive (base price $70k), but still in line with what you'd pay for a diesel truck today with all the bells and whistles. I paid $50k for my 2010 F250 crew cab 13 years ago, new off the lot. From what I gather that $50k is equal to $69k in today's economy. And my truck was a stripped down, nothing fancy, white paint, no frills, designed to work for a living truck Simple am/fm radio, vinyl seats. Big engine, big bed, and sucked down fuel like it was cold beer on a sweltering hot day

My new Maxpack 400 mile range Rivian ($82k with all the options) is going to give me far more bang for my bucks...when I finally get it!

In two weeks I'll be going to a "First Drive" with Rivian. After 4 years I'm finally going to get behind the wheel of this truck. About time.

Did you order it 4 years ago?
Yup. Rivian originally planned to come out with a maximum range truck first, which is what I wanted. That's what I preordered. Then their plans changed to start their production with a medium range truck, and the "Maxpack" was shoved to the back of the line. I got to watch all the lesser range Rivians appearing on the road, happily driving past me by their smiling owners, while I waited, still driving a pristine but aging diesel F250. Unfortunately, I couldn't justify getting an electric truck with a range less than 400 miles to the charge.

Soooooo....4 long years later I'm finally getting my invite to test out the Rivian.

Back