Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

I tend to get up really early, what can I say Floridians get up early and go to bed early, like birds. My Mom who was Spanish where they eat dinner at 11pm or so used to have fits about it. :) It's a shame Orbea won't allow users to change the setting if the user agrees to take any liability. It would make the user happy and the hardware can obviously handle it since that's how they're set up here.

I tend to get up really early, what can I say Floridians get up early and go to bed early, like birds. My Mom who was Spanish where they eat dinner at 11pm or so used to have fits about it. :) It's a shame Orbea won't allow users to change the setting if the user agrees to take any liability. It would make the user happy and the hardware can obviously handle it since that's how they're set up here.

Early to bed, early to rise??? Agree with what you write. You've spent enough time on the forum now Sol, do you think those with the 20mph cut off get less milage then us this side of the pond? Ps. When stationed in Greece, local folk used to go out for the (evening) around 11.00pm after having a snooze.

Agree with this. I don’t understand why the bike manufacturers have decided to do the policing on assistance. All the cars on the market can exceed speed limits and the responsibility is with the drivers. For eBikes for some reason manufacturers are very strongly imposing these limits. Does anybody know a comparison of different e road bikes with speed dongles? I am trying to find out if for instance Bosch or Yamaha Motors with badass box work or is it still not much gain?

Hi guys. Yes I think it does cut down on range a bit, but not horribly. When you guys cycle anything above 15.5 is your energy. I tend to cycle at about 16-17 miles and in my case I either have to turn off the battery or I'm using battery power. I could just lower the power level, but I'm just too darn lazy.

Hi guys. Yes I think it does cut down on range a bit, but not horribly. When you guys cycle anything above 15.5 is your energy. I tend to cycle at about 16-17 miles and in my case I either have to turn off the battery or I'm using battery power. I could just lower the power level, but I'm just too darn lazy.

Lazy Sol? You ride a bike, the two are not compatible. Like you, I don't believe there is much to be gained by lowering the levels? Especially level 1.

Early to bed, early to rise??? Agree with what you write. You've spent enough time on the forum now Sol, do you think those with the 20mph cut off get less milage then us this side of the pond? Ps. When stationed in Greece, local folk used to go out for the (evening) around 11.00pm after having a snooze.

Jaxx, I would suggest you get much higher mileage with the 15 mph limiter than we do. I have seen you suggest you get up to 100 miles/160 km. Best I have done is about 110 km. Little better than that turning battery off and on.

My ultimate test was to be last weekend when I was to do a Century. I figured with the battery extender I would be able to do the whole ride using power.

Unfortunately 2 weeks ago I had a pretty severe crash after going down hill at 50 kph and hitting a rock in the bike lane. Bike needed some repairs and so did I. Severe road rash, banged up elbow and shoulder.

Got the bike repaired in time for Century but had to bail at the 103 km mark when my shoulder seized up to the point I couldn't make a shoulder check. Think I may have torn rotor cuff. Will get it checked out when I get back to Canada next week.

Good news was though I was able to squeeze 90 km out of the extender battery which combined with the bike battery should give me over 200 kms of flat riding. Not that I am ever going to attempt that but reassuring to know I can throw some decent elevation into a 100km ride and be safe.

Jaxx, I would suggest you get much higher mileage with the 15 mph limiter than we do. I have seen you suggest you get up to 100 miles/160 km. Best I have done is about 110 km. Little better than that turning battery off and on.

My ultimate test was to be last weekend when I was to do a Century. I figured with the battery extender I would be able to do the whole ride using power.

Unfortunately 2 weeks ago I had a pretty severe crash after going down hill at 50 kph and hitting a rock in the bike lane. Bike needed some repairs and so did I. Severe road rash, banged up elbow and shoulder.

Got the bike repaired in time for Century but had to bail at the 103 km mark when my shoulder seized up to the point I couldn't make a shoulder check. Think I may have torn rotor cuff. Will get it checked out when I get back to Canada next week.

Good news was though I was able to squeeze 90 km out of the extender battery which combined with the bike battery should give me over 200 kms of flat riding. Not that I am ever going to attempt that but reassuring to know I can throw some decent elevation into a 100km ride and be safe.

Hope you repair quickly Zeek.

Yikes I hope you heal quickly Zeek. It's good to know the extender works well. I'll probably buy one, but knowing me I'll probably start using level 2 and 3 because I'll have battery to spare.

Yikes I hope you heal quickly Zeek. It's good to know the extender works well. I'll probably buy one, but knowing me I'll probably start using level 2 and 3 because I'll have battery to spare.
Thx Sol, Have to admit, I have started to use L2 more when climbing knowing that I have the juice.

Let us know how that works out. I dont think it will be an issue getting a US destination eBikeMotion X35 programmed for 20mph. It will probably come that way. The dealer manual for Obea/eBikemotion is here https://www.orbea.com/downloads/Dealer_APP_Manual_Gain_EN.pdf however its vague on speed programming and implies that programming is 'secured' by the serial number... i.e. they know if a unit is a EU or US unit.

The Aria is certainly a good looking bike!
I have an Orbea Gain F30 delivered in California. They have a 20 MPH limit set here. I'd much rather have a 15 MPH. Set at 15 I can ride above it until a head wind or a hill slows me back to a speed the controller kicks the assist back on.

My dream controller would let me set a cut off speed for each boost level independently. Cut level 1 at 15, cut level 2 at 12, and cut level 3 at 8 MPH. As the environment slows me down each level would kick back on.

I have an Orbea Gain F30 delivered in California. They have a 20 MPH limit set here. I'd much rather have a 15 MPH. Set at 15 I can ride above it until a head wind or a hill slows me back to a speed the controller kicks the assist back on.

My dream controller would let me set a cut off speed for each boost level independently. Cut level 1 at 15, cut level 2 at 12, and cut level 3 at 8 MPH. As the environment slows me down each level would kick back on.

I agree and have made similar comments in an email to eBikeMotion. The way I've attempted to get around this limitation is by using the heart rate monitor option in the eBikeMotion app. If you get a Bluetooth HR monitor thats compatible with the app AND set the app to "Override recommended MHR" you can set a high or low heart rate which will cause the assist not to kick in until that HR is exceeded. (I also have the 'Sensitivity' setting set to 10 (max)). So in other words, instead of the assist kicking in as you slow down, this would cause it to kick in as you work harder.

Its a decent idea, although the execution is not currently that great. eBikeMotion acknowledges this and they have made some improvements, but could use further refinement. Issues include: Theres only one HR level vs having a HR level for each level of assist; There is a a long unpredictable delay between the time the MHR level entered is exceeded and the assist kicks in. Also, there seems to be some short curve associated with exceeding the entered MHR. Assist starts with Level 1 but moves to Level 3 fairly quickly (I'd say within 15 beats higher). Its also slow to cut the assist once your HR has fallen below the MHR level entered.
I try to use this feature to get assist on long hills when in a group ride and then have the assist stop has we slow at the top or are cruising lightly on a flat... it mostly works but remains somewhat unpredictable. - E

I agree and have made similar comments in an email to eBikeMotion. The way I've attempted to get around this limitation is by using the heart rate monitor option in the eBikeMotion app. If you get a Bluetooth HR monitor thats compatible with the app AND set the app to "Override recommended MHR" you can set a high or low heart rate which will cause the assist not to kick in until that HR is exceeded. (I also have the 'Sensitivity' setting set to 10 (max)). So in other words, instead of the assist kicking in as you slow down, this would cause it to kick in as you work harder.

Its a decent idea, although the execution is not currently that great. eBikeMotion acknowledges this and they have made some improvements, but could use further refinement. Issues include: Theres only one HR level vs having a HR level for each level of assist; There is a a long unpredictable delay between the time the MHR level entered is exceeded and the assist kicks in. Also, there seems to be some short curve associated with exceeding the entered MHR. Assist starts with Level 1 but moves to Level 3 fairly quickly (I'd say within 15 beats higher). Its also slow to cut the assist once your HR has fallen below the MHR level entered.
I try to use this feature to get assist on long hills when in a group ride and then have the assist stop has we slow at the top or are cruising lightly on a flat... it mostly works but remains somewhat unpredictable. - E
I wear a HR monitor and it links in. I tried the MHR boost for awhile but it was on and off to much for now. Glad to see your resuly. My F30 came with Kenda 38mm city tires and I can feel the tire drag. I'm use to 28 mm Continental Grand Prix 4000 II with a very low rolling resistance. When I cut assist the tire drag has me reaching to turn assist back on. I have Continental Grand Prix 5000 TLs on the upgrade list. I might keep the Kendas on until spring.
Now that I've ridden in a pace line a few times I found my Lvl 1 too low at 25% and Lvl 2 too high at 85%. I'm working far to little on Lvl 2 and it's just an electric motorcycle that I keep on by slowly spinning the pedals. I pulled off at the last ride and adjusted the blue sliders the app to up Lvl 1 to 40% and lower Lvl 2 to 55%. That seemed to ride better but I won't know until I ride in a group again. Good tires might let me back down to 25% 50% 100%. I'm planning a hill to flat distance test between my non eBike Cannondale and the Orbea eBike.

Happy New Year

I wear a HR monitor and it links in. I tried the MHR boost for awhile but it was on and off to much for now. Glad to see your resuly. My F30 came with Kenda 38mm city tires and I can feel the tire drag. I'm use to 28 mm Continental Grand Prix 4000 II with a very low rolling resistance. When I cut assist the tire drag has me reaching to turn assist back on. I have Continental Grand Prix 5000 TLs on the upgrade list. I might keep the Kendas on until spring.
Now that I've ridden in a pace line a few times I found my Lvl 1 too low at 25% and Lvl 2 too high at 85%. I'm working far to little on Lvl 2 and it's just an electric motorcycle that I keep on by slowly spinning the pedals. I pulled off at the last ride and adjusted the blue sliders the app to up Lvl 1 to 40% and lower Lvl 2 to 55%. That seemed to ride better but I won't know until I ride in a group again. Good tires might let me back down to 25% 50% 100%. I'm planning a hill to flat distance test between my non eBike Cannondale and the Orbea eBike.

Happy New Year

You will certainly notice the difference when replacing with Conti 5000. I put them on my M20i (28mm) lovely ride, and very responsive.

good news for those interested in limiting the x35 engine, shortly the Polini brand is going to get a de-limiter of said bikes, confirmed in the distributor store of Spain

I finally purchased an Orbea Gain and have now been using my D40 for two weeks for commuting. So far I really like it. I cycle between 16-26 miles a day depending on the route I take. I use either 70% or 100% assist and the battery lasts 4-5 days. I do still put effort but I no longer arrive at work all sweaty and exhausted. Especially the last week with all the stormy winds, it’s been a breeze really. The tiagra gears on D40 are better than my old bikes 10 year old ultegras and the disc brakes are great. When the assistance is off there is definitely more resistance compared to my old road bike. I can also see that when I hand turn the pedals. The back wheel stops very quickly compared to my other bike. But for commuting purposes it’s alright on occasions when the battery is flat. There is a bit of a learning curve though. The first week I fell off when I turned into small steep path and the motor didn’t kick in immediately and I was on a high gear with heavy load.

I can not say more than what I have been told, shortly the Polini house, is going to get a delimiter, I don't know when.

I finally purchased an Orbea Gain and have now been using my D40 for two weeks for commuting. So far I really like it. I cycle between 16-26 miles a day depending on the route I take. I use either 70% or 100% assist and the battery lasts 4-5 days. I do still put effort but I no longer arrive at work all sweaty and exhausted. Especially the last week with all the stormy winds, it’s been a breeze really. The tiagra gears on D40 are better than my old bikes 10 year old ultegras and the disc brakes are great. When the assistance is off there is definitely more resistance compared to my old road bike. I can also see that when I hand turn the pedals. The back wheel stops very quickly compared to my other bike. But for commuting purposes it’s alright on occasions when the battery is flat. There is a bit of a learning curve though. The first week I fell off when I turned into small steep path and the motor didn’t kick in immediately and I was on a high gear with heavy load.

Don't ride with assist turned off. Have it set to "0" no assist when not needed. No drag from motor then.

Back