Fixing cable damage ebikemotion X35

OrbeaD40

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me get my just-purchased Orbea D40 Gain (running Mahle ebikemotion X35 system) on the road. I bought it "spares or repair" from eBay, all is working, unfortunately the previous owner bent the pins on the PAS sensor connector and its matching cable to the controller. He then decided to cut off the connectors and splice the wires together, which, as one might expect, didn't work. So, I need to replace both cables. I've sourced a new PAS sensor from Orbea and I can fit that easily, but I can't seem to find the controller > sensor cable, nor do I know how to fit it. So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know where I can source the controller > sensor cable?
2. If I can get the cable, is it easy to fit? I assume it means removing the battery/controller assembly, is it easy to get into to wire in a new cable?
3. If the answer to either of the above is no, can anyone recommend a repair shop/service that could sort this out in or near London?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Since the controller is fine, what if you could find the connector? It would then be just a matter of splicing it in.
When I do this I put adhesive shrink tube over the outer housing, sliding it away from the joint. I stagger the small wires slipping shrink tube over them and push it away from the action. Then I prime each little wire with solder before join them. I slip the small tubes over the joints and hit them with a heat gun. And finish with the larger tube. It looks professional. This will save the cost and trouble of replacing a perfectly good controller.

Since the controller is fine, what if you could find the connector? It would then be just a matter of splicing it in.
When I do this I put adhesive shrink tube over the outer housing, sliding it away from the joint. I stagger the small wires slipping shrink tube over them and push it away from the action. Then I prime each little wire with solder before join them. I slip the small tubes over the joints and hit them with a heat gun. And finish with the larger tube. It looks professional. This will save the cost and trouble of replacing a perfectly good controller.
Many thanks for the reply, that sounds good but way above my skill level! But good to know that'll work if I can find a shop to do it.

Take it so someone who can fix an appliance and not someone who can build a wheel.

I don't think most electricians do much soldering or maybe the term is used differently in the UK. I would find someone who does component level repair of electronics. London may even have a business that specializes in ebike service and repair.

Look for a radio (ham shortwave) repair technician. I got my skills when I was trained to assemble the equipment to be used for manned spaceflight. Orbea is playing it too close to the vest by masking connector sources and part numbers.

Many thanks for all the replies, fixed now: took it to three different bike shops, all said can't fix, need a new battery/controller unit (£450). Mahle no help at all, we won't supply spare parts or even give advice, manufacturers only. Orbea just as bad, take it to a dealer - I have they won't help, oh then we can't help either. Took it to my sound engineer brother-in-law, cut off the connector from new PAS, joined the three wires of the same colour, ignored the other two, all working and riding like a dream!

Back