New Turbo Creo - First Impressions

PassoGavia

Region
USA
City
Roswell, Georgia
I purchased a 2021 Turbo Creo this weekend and took my first ride today. My first impression is “wow this bike is loud”. So loud that it crowds out all my other impressions.

I’ve ridden an Orbea Gain e-bike for three years and it has been a fantastic bike. My only complaint is the 20 mph cutoff. I bought a dongle and got an additional 1 mph, that’s all it was good for (see my writeup here).

I purchased the Creo because since I started riding in groups again post-pandemic, I get dropped on long flat sections. Even hiding in the pack I can’t make enough power to ride 22-26 mph. And the only Class 3 bikes available, in a pure roadie style, are by Specialized.

The Orbea looks enough like a normal bike that it’s rare I get any questions from other riders. I’m not trying to hide the fact that it’s an assist bike, I’ll always tell other riders who ask that it has a motor in the (obviously large) hub. But one of the things I like about the Gain is that it doesn’t do anything that continuously broadcasts “I’m an e-bike”.

But with the Creo, everyone in the pack will know the motor is running. At higher speeds it’s not too bad, but at 15+ mph there is a lot more wind and other noise. On climbs, it’s not only that you can hear the motor, but you can hear it changing pitch, a high, modulating whining sound. And at lower speeds, climbing in a pack, there is a lot less ambient noise, and it will be really obvious.

I’d read enough to know it was going to be louder, but I didn’t know anyone who owned one, and when I tested them it was always around the parking lot. Maybe it won’t be a thing at all, and I’ll love this bike. Certainly it is fantastic being able to ride by myself at 22-24 mph, even in the middle power setting.

Finally, note that while I’m complaining here, I do realize I’m remarkably fortunate and privileged to be purchasing my second high-end e-bike.

Thank you for this.. Its not easy to get a sense for the motors acoustics in a video but it doesnt seem enough is made about the noise level on the Creo vs the Vado SL for some reason

Thank you for this.. Its not easy to get a sense for the motors acoustics in a video but it doesnt seem enough is made about the noise level on the Creo vs the Vado SL for some reason
Yes. Others have indicated how quiet some of the other Specialized models are but I do find the Creo's sound present. And it does vary in pitch. A friend on another e-bike has commented more than once that she can definitely hear my motor. I've got the aluminum Creo. I have no idea if different body materials (alum/carbon) resonate or dampen the sound differently or if the geometry of the Creo versus some of the other "more silent" Specialized models may account for the sound(s) we hear.

i too have been annoyed by the sound of the creo in certain circumstances. a low speed, high cadence, high power climb on a country road is pretty much the worst case.

given that @kahn is aware of the sound of his E5 creo, it’s hard to imagine that the sound of any creo is much different than the other SL bikes. the frame of a vado SL and a creo e5 are really very similar. it’s just a not-that-silent motor.

I am not so sure anyone in the pack will notice the sound in a group until you are riding up a hill. A lot of riders do not notice the motor in the frame until someone mentions it to them. I think it makes less noise than the wind or the creak and screech of some of the carbon wheels. You can hear it more acutely because you are listening for it and are closer to the source.

My new E5 can certainly be heard if you’re right next to it, but it is no louder than either of my Yamaha powered ebikes. In fact, I’d swear that the sound level dropped a little bit after I got over about 100 miles on it. I’ve had five ebikes now and not one was actually close to silent, including a hub drive bike and four mid drives, Yamaha, Trek and Specialized. I’ve been around quite a few Rad Rovers over the years, and those things are pretty damn quiet.

And of course, it’s so easy to ride this with the motor off that at least half the time it’s a non issue. Of course, I’m not riding in a group at anyone’s pace other than my own.

I'm going to fiddle with the software parameters to see if that will make a difference. The Orbea Gain, in its normal mode of operation, gives you 100% of the available power, in each individual power level, as soon as you turn the pedals (regardless of whether. you are stomping or soft pedaling. So for example, if you are in the Low setting (30% of max motor power), and you turn the pedals, you get the full 30% immediately, and continuously, as long as you keep turning the pedals. The Creo, on the other hand, adds more power based on your input power as its default in the lower two settings. In the Gain, you cannot adjust this, you can only adjust the power levels themselves. I'm thinking if I move the Support level higher in each Creo power level, there will be less of the variation in motor speed and therefore the sound will be less noticeable.

Also, I think a lot of the sound is the reduction gearing, simply the gears meshing with each other at speed. Usually gears are loudest when they are new and unworn but get (somewhat) quieter over time. But I'm not expecting a huge change.

I am not so sure anyone in the pack will notice the sound in a group until you are riding up a hill. A lot of riders do not notice the motor in the frame until someone mentions it to them. I think it makes less noise than the wind or the creak and screech of some of the carbon wheels. You can hear it more acutely because you are listening for it and are closer to the source.

it definitely doesn't make less noise than carbon wheels! (i have multiple sets of carbon wheels). it does make less noise than the currently-trendy swarm of bees freehubs... but you only hear those when people are coasting/braking.

I simply cannot get it. How comes Vado SL has the same motor, and the comments of my ridding buddies on gravel trips have been:
  • 'No, it is not loud. Sometimes I can hear the motor, sometimes I cannot'
  • 'No, it is not loud. It just is there'
  • 'Loud? Listen to the Giant Yamaha! That's very loud!'
I must make a video with good audio...

I simply cannot get it. How comes Vado SL has the same motor, and the comments of my ridding buddies on gravel trips have been:
Hmmm. I wonder if we can hear "the sound" in @Prairie Dog 's Creo videos? I was just thinking it might be time to charge the batteries for my Osmo Action camera and figure out where to attach it. That way I could capture "the sound" the motor makes as well as my personal "thunk!" :eek:

i would guess that it’s because the sound of a bunch of bikes on gravel, especially at a decent speed, is quite loud already. by comparison a single bike or two bikes on road tires ascending a smoothly paved grade at <10mph is very, very quiet. except for the motors 😂😂😂

i would guess that it’s because the sound of a bunch of bikes on gravel, especially at a decent speed, is quite loud already. by comparison a single bike or two bikes on road tires ascending a smoothly paved grade at <10mph is very, very quiet. except for the motors 😂😂😂
Actually, we are all suffering group psychosis. The bikes are absolutely silent and we are imagining the NOISE!

No, we are talking a wide-spread group of gravel bikes on the pavement :)

When I pass a road bike rider struggling up a climb, sitting back on my Vado SL, they’ll pass me on the decent or flat it often dawns on them that I may be riding an ebike, and they ask. We often get into a conversation, which can be fun. Since I’m 74 and the roadie is usually under 30, I don’t get hassled. They have said, on occasion, that they’re going to tell their parent about getting an ebike. Mission accomplished

They have said, on occasion, that they’re going to tell their parent about getting an ebike. Mission accomplished
Several buddies of mine have already told me their parents rode e-bikes. But now, a good story:

I recently was on a group ride with Jacek's Trance E+ (nicknamed "Monster"). As the subgroup were waiting for slower riders to join, two guys made a Trance test ride in the parking lot:
-- I decidedly want it! -- said one of them -- Let me have it for a day so I'm sure!.
-- Man! That's a monster!!! -- said the other.

1651725553182.png

The SL motor noise? It is weird. If I make a smartphone video during my Vado SL ride, the motor seems to be very loud. (In fact, it is just a tad louder than the freewheel is). When I just ride the e-bike, I perceive the noise as soft...

Several buddies of mine have already told me their parents rode e-bikes. But now, a good story:

I recently was on a group ride with Jacek's Trance E+ (nicknamed "Monster"). As the subgroup were waiting for slower riders to join, two guys made a Trance test ride in the parking lot:
-- I decidedly want it! -- said one of them -- Let me have it for a day so I'm sure!.

View attachment 122370

The SL motor noise? It is weird. If I make a smartphone video during my Vado SL ride, the motor seems to be very loud. (In fact, it is just a tad louder than the freewheel is). When I just ride the e-bike, I perceive the noise as soft...
Stefan, alone, takes down the analogue bike industry! ;) :oops:

View attachment 122370

I am aware of the noise made by the motor on my Vado SL, but I find I like it when I’m riding. I generally don’t need the assist, so the motor noise let’s me know the motor is assisting. The sound has been part of my learning about assist levels and the other factors in this discussion.

Guys,

If I bought a Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO...
...would I regret my decision?
:)

Back