E-Bike Batteries Are Catching on Fire Way Too Often And delivery workers are demanding safe charging stations.

I truly think that there should be some regulation on ebike batteries. Good quality ones like Bosch have integrated wear leveling, shock sensors, short detection, temperature sensors, auto-disconnect, and plenty of other features that let the battery murder itself safely if it thinks anything at all might present a hazard. I think at least some of this should become standard.

Of course, that'd be quite difficult to enforce, so I don't know if anybody would be willing to step up to the plate. But damn, these Chinese aftermarket packs are so sketchy.

Aluminum foil as a liner to contain a fire is a terrible idea. Al foil burns through in seconds. High temperatures will vaporize the foil.
WTF!
$500 fire blanket a fireproof section of flooring and ammo can or no battery in my apartment. I live in a house and have a battery safe zone. I'm investing in a blanket. AND an active extinguisher to flood the cabinet. Lithex.

Posters have indicated that a simple ABC dry chemical extinguisher is all that's needed. NO! JUST NO!!
I'm not suggesting everyone replicates my install. I have had up to 12 batteries at one time, plus several hundred cells for pack building. I WOULD have a sophisticated fire plan should I live in a multiunit house/apt.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 339
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 2.57.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 2.57.37 AM.png
    927 KB · Views: 342
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 3.16.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 3.16.18 AM.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 340
  • Ammo Can Sizes.gif
    Ammo Can Sizes.gif
    148.9 KB · Views: 325
  • fish taco.jpg
    fish taco.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
I just want to point out not all go to the lengths Tom does when it comes to battery safety (see above). Not saying he's wrong to do that, but I believe there are reasonable safeguards already built in, and used in a reasonable manner, batteries and chargers supplied with production bikes can be used safely as is. There's a very low chance of fire when used according to the owner's manual.

The guys having issues are messing with home made battery packs, charging multiple packs at a time, or otherwise using "creative" methods/technology. If you want to try something like that, cautions are a darn good idea, just in case your ideas are not.....

The guys having issues are messing with home made battery packs, charging multiple packs at a time, or otherwise using "creative" methods/technology. If you want to try something like that, cautions are a darn good idea, just in case your ideas are not.....
That’s simply not true. I’m truly disappointed that you would promulgate disinformation. I made it clear that it was the number of packs that inspired safeguards in my basement shop.

Whose aftermarket battery came with a manual and instructions?

A simple event like a dropped pack can lead to a pretty little explosion when charging. How many OEM SUB $2000 factory direct bikes have Bosch level protection and sophisticated BMS? I’m sorry my friend but you’re being naive.

A safe steel container or containment ought to be minimal. Even then anyone without a fire plan is being naive as well. You read ES remember the moderators fire?
I guess it’s 20 years of OSHA inspections and realizing most stupid rules and policies to mitigate workplace disasters were created by stupid management and avoidable disasters.

That’s simply not true. I’m truly disappointed that you would promulgate disinformation. I made it clear that it was the number of packs that inspired safeguards in my basement shop.

Whose aftermarket battery came with a manual and instructions?

A simple event like a dropped pack can lead to a pretty little explosion when charging. How many OEM SUB $2000 factory direct bikes have Bosch level protection and sophisticated BMS? I’m sorry my friend but you’re being naive.

A safe steel container or containment ought to be minimal. Even then anyone without a fire plan is being naive as well. You read ES remember the moderators fire?
I guess it’s 20 years of OSHA inspections and realizing most stupid rules and policies to mitigate workplace disasters were created by stupid management and avoidable disasters.
I thought I stated "production bikes" pretty clearly, no?

"batteries and chargers supplied with production bikes can be used safely as is"

"Aftermarket" opens a whole new/different can of worms. I get that, and suggest appropriate cautions are in order when dealing with them.

I just want to point out not all go to the lengths Tom does when it comes to battery safety (see above). Not saying he's wrong to do that, but I believe there are reasonable safeguards already built in, and used in a reasonable manner, batteries and chargers supplied with production bikes can be used safely as is. There's a very low chance of fire when used according to the owner's manual.

Yes two chargers in one power strip.I pluged chargers into power strip. Then turn on power strip,not good? Thanks for your advice.

No, period. Do we think those budget OEM batteries are not a risk? Naïve.
Thomas, you're welcome to be cautious as you like, but to sit there and try to scare people with production bikes, using suggested charging practices per owners manual, into being as cautious as you prefer, is something you can count on being called out on every time I see it. As can EASILY be seen by the lack of reported fires nation wide, your cautions are overkill, period.

I doubt seriously that we would be seeing the kinds of sales numbers we're seeing if the chances of a fire were even close to what you are implying. If you can't/wont agree, we'll need to agree to disagree on this point and move on.... -Al

Production bikes? Hard to get more production than Rad Motors. WIth their kind of sales numbers, sure, the odds are that something eventually goes wrong unless you go to +3 sigma as far as preventative measures. From the above article cited by OP.

"Even well-known models aren’t foolproof. Just ask Marcus Hoed, the head of Dutch-X, an upmarket New York City delivery company that has contracts with Whole Foods and Amazon. Until last year, he was operating a fleet of 100 e-bikes by Rad Power Bikes — a popular Seattle-based brand — that came with what Hoed describes as no-name, “white-label” batteries. One morning, five minutes into a charge cycle, one of the batteries caught fire and exploded inside Dutch-X’s downtown warehouse;"

Is charging two 36 volt batteries factory made,on a power strip safe? Nakto batterys.
Power strip has circuit breaker? Better than extension cord. Your chargers probably get hot like most chargers w/o fans. Don't put the chargers on carpet, etc.

As someone else said, "always charge in a place where you wouldn't mind a fire."

Just don't go to bed with ebike chargers at work on your batteries. I never do. I make sure they're done. I won't leave a battery charging if I leave the house either.

Last edited:
Reports of ebike fires like stories about EV fires a few years back were news because they were rare. Perhaps I’m being naive but I charge following the Bosch manual.

Back