E-Bike Batteries Are Catching on Fire Way Too Often And delivery workers are demanding safe charging stations.

I charge my e-bike battery on the nightstand right next to my bed. I also charge the lithium batteries in my phone, tablet, laptop, bike headlight, power tools and numerous other devices there. I haven't had a single fire or close call. It's all about being careful and following some safety measures.

I let the larger batteries for my bike and tools to cool off before charging them. I don't leave them on the charger for longer than necessary. I only use the factory charger for my tools and e-bike. I don't leave them outside in extreme heat or cold. I don't charge my e-bike battery while riding it. I don't drop or roughly handle them. I don't use sketchy batteries.

Now if for some reason you need to be a little rough with your batteries or perhaps buy some sketchy battery (Completly understandable due to the prices) then I would take some extra precautions.

The delivery people can go back to traditional bicycles if they have a problem with the cheap eBikes and chargers they use. It worked for probably 100 years before eBikes were available.

Hey Ravi,
Is the CE/UL certification number normally indicated on the battery?

Yes, UL-certified chargers and batteries have signage on the device. The certificate number can be obtained by the manufacturer but you will often see something like this.
This is one of the Bosch chargers. You see both UL and CE certifications. It is important that the battery has rigorous testing done to prevent life threatening events like this. If you have toddlers or kids, it is even more imperative to use safe, certified equipments.

1650505514114.png

People should really think about E-bike battery safety. Having multiple safety certifications is critical.
At the same time in the market, there is a huge influx of inexpensive bikes with no UL/CE certification that entices customers with low prices. At the risk of sounding like fear-mongering, I will go ahead and post this.
Just last week, there were 4 E-bike fires in one day in New York. See the video - it's absolutely nightmarish.

Ravi which brands of bikes have UL certified batteries? Is this only the big brands like specialized etc?
Or do Rad power , etc have them too?

What about EM3?

People should really think about E-bike battery safety. Having multiple safety certifications is critical.
At the same time in the market, there is a huge influx of inexpensive bikes with no UL/CE certification that entices customers with low prices. At the risk of sounding like fear-mongering, I will go ahead and post this.
Just last week, there were 4 E-bike fires in one day in New York. See the video - it's absolutely nightmarish.

You’re talking about New York City with a population of about 8 million people. This is probably out of tens of thousands of e bikes. Also we don’t know how those four batteries were treated. If they were used by food delivery service people they we’re probably used roughly.

I’m not trying to downplay this because absolutely you should avoid sketchy batteries but if you have to use one for financial reasons than store it in an area where it can’t catch something on fire.

Even if you have a proper battery made by a quality manufacturer treat it with respect. It has the potential to give you a very bad day 😂

Ravi which brands of bikes have UL certified batteries? Is this only the big brands like specialized etc?
Or do Rad power , etc have them too?

What about EM3?
I’m not sure about all Rad batteries but the battery that came with my RadCity 5 has CE certification on the decal but doesn’t show UL.

I would like to know what are the requirements for these certifications. I know CE is used in the EU vs UL is used in the USA but I don’t know what they require. Is there a requirement or minimum specifications for the 18650 cells or just how it’s assembled? Also I suspect the battery management circuitry plays a big role in safety. I wonder if there are some minimum requirements as to what that circuitry has to do.

Most of this is probably way above my technical knowledge understanding but it would be great if we could identify batteries and then point out specific flaws in them that could be dangerous.

For small lithium batteries, there are three standards that our Battery Lab tests to most often:

• UN/DOT 38.3 5th Edition, Amendment 1 – Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods
  • IEC 62133-2:2017 – Safety requirements for portable sealed secondary lithium cells, and for batteries made from them, for use in portable applications – Part 2: Lithium systems
  • UL 2054 2nd Edition – Household and Commercial Batteries
Following is a quick overview of each one.

UN/DOT 38.3
Want to ship a lithium battery almost anywhere in the world by air, vessel, rail, or truck? Unless you want to be extremely restricted in your options for transporting your batteries (ground transport as Class 9 Hazardous Goods), you will need to certify that your batteries have passed UN/DOT 38.3.

Found in many countries’ shipment of dangerous goods regulations, this standard is relevant for the transportation safety of all lithium metal and lithium ion cells and batteries

UN/DOT 38.3 is a self-certify standard but because of potential liability issues, most companies choose to use a third party test lab like MET Labs.

UN 38.3 presents a combination of significant environmental, mechanical, and electrical stresses, in sequence (T1-T5):

• T1 – Altitude Simulation (Primary and Secondary Cells and Batteries)
  • T2 – Thermal Test (Primary and Secondary Cells and Batteries)
  • T3 – Vibration (Primary and Secondary Cells and Batteries)
  • T4 – Shock (Primary and Secondary Cells and Batteries)
  • T5 – External Short Circuit (Primary and Secondary Cells and Batteries)
  • T6 – Impact (Primary and Secondary Cells)
  • T7 – Overcharge (Secondary Batteries)
  • T8 – Forced Discharge (Primary and Secondary Cells)
Some tests are easier to pass than others. The altitude test is the easiest. The vibration test, on the other hand, is intense and long-running: 3 hours in each of the three cardinal planes. And the T1-T5 sequence typically has a negative cumulative effect.

IEC 62133
Mandated by many IEC end-device standards, IEC 62133 is the de facto standard for international compliance. UN 38.3 transportation testing (see previous section) is an integral requirement, but does not need to be repeated.

The standard includes four tests:

• 2.2 Molded Case Stress
  • 3.2 External Short Circuit
  • 3.3 Free Fall
  • 3.6 Overcharging of Battery
Compared to the requirements of UN 38.3, these tests are relatively easy to pass.

UL 2054
Compliance with the requirements of UL 2054 is mandated by a number of U.S. end device standards. It is a challenging standard involving roughly double the number of tests found in the UN or IEC requirements:

• 7 electrical tests
  • 4 mechanical tests
  • 4 battery enclosure tests
  • 1 fire exposure test
  • 2 environmental tests
With the inclusion of single faults and worst-case operation, the electrical tests are the most challenging. The abusive overcharge test is the most difficult given the overvoltage conditions applied to the faulted pack. Abnormal charge, forced discharge, and two short circuit tests also involve significant risk of failure.

For lithium batteries, UL 2054 defers all component cell level testing to UL 1642. Warning: Not all labs will accept another NRTL’s test results. For example, when testing a battery to UL 2054, MET Labs will accept another NRTL’s cell level UL 1642 test data and apply it to the UL 2054 testing. This saves the client time and money. We recommend avoiding NRTLs that don’t follow this client-friendly practice.

The future of UL 2054 is cloudy. UL has released the first edition of UL 62133, which is fully harmonized with IEC 62133, 2nd Edition. UL 2054 and UL 62133 essentially compete for the same test space although their requirements are quite different. The timing of UL 62133 adoption is still unfolding, but it is expected to have an impact on the future role of UL 2054 as an important U.S. compliance standard.

In addition to these three standards, MET is increasingly seeing a demand for testing to IEEE 1625 and 1725 for CTIA battery certification. MET is a CTIA Authorized Test Lab that offers full scope CTIA-accredited battery testing and certification services for these standards.

Maybe we should start a thread list of the ebike companies doing UL certification

If The companies realize people are starting to pay attention to this before purchasing maybe more of them will do it

Maybe we should start a thread list of the ebike companies doing UL certification

If The companies realize people are starting to pay attention to this before purchasing maybe more of them will do it
UL certificate is not a good rating. IMNSHO. UN38.3 is more reliable.

Ok so we should start a thread with ebike companies or batteries that follow UN38.3

And I think Court should be adding this to the reviews/specs

This would definitely play into my research when purchasing a bike

But hopefully that will change as time goes on and maybe someone will want to pay 200 more for a bike with the certifications…
If that is possible

Sounds like things are moving this way so people should be aware and be able to use that as a factor in purchases

I know CE is used in the EU vs UL is used in the USA
I have worked with many ISO, EU, SAE ASABE standards in my past life. I would be satisfied with either EU or UL certification. If I was selling a product in the US I would get UL certifed if only from a product liability lawsuit perspective.

But hopefully that will change as time goes on and maybe someone will want to pay 200 more for a bike with the certifications…
If that is possible

Sounds like things are moving this way so people should be aware and be able to use that as a factor in purchases
Most people want the lowest price possible. Unless you can convince them that saving money will cause them to immediately burst into flames and die they don’t care. I guarantee you that if they could buy an ebike with a lesser quality and slightly dangerous battery and save $100 it would be a popular choice 😂

Back