Encinitas City Council declares emergency for e-bikes, bicycles

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
This just in from our local NPR station...

Encinitas City Council declares emergency for e-bikes, bicycles

The City Council declared a local state of emergency for bicycle, e-bicycle and motorized mobility device safety in response to a growing number of collisions, officials announced.

In a state of emergency, the city council can vote in provisional ordinances without the usual public comment period.

Carlsbad, the next beachtown north on the San Diego County coast, did the same thing for the same reasons in 2022. Those provisional bike control ordinances became permanent 6 months later.

As a driver and pedestrian as well as an ebiker, I totally get the public safety need here. Yahoos riding ebikes irresponsibly are everywhere, and their numbers are growing.

Most of Carlsbad's new bike control ordinances are reasonable and generally in line with the way I ride anyway. But our regulatory future isn't bright. Will be interesting to see what Encinitas comes up with.

Last edited:

In a state of emergency, the city council can vote in provisional ordinances without the usual public comment period.

Carlsbad, the next beachtown north on the San Diego County coast, did the same thing for the same reasons in 2022. Those provisional bike control ordinances became permanent 6 months later.

As a driver and pedestrian as well as an ebiker, I totally get the public safety need here. Yahoos riding ebikes irresponsibly are everywhere, and their numbers are growing.

Most of Carlsbad's new bike control ordinances are reasonable and generally in line with the way I ride anyway. But our regulatory future isn't bright. Will be interesting to see what Encinitas comes up with.
I would like to edit your post to say "yahoos are everywhere."

and yet, there’s a decent/vocal minority of people on this forum and elsewhere who think the path (no pun intended!!) to more people on bikes or foot and out of cars is to make e-bikes faster and more powerful.

read the room people - most e-bikes are used in urban environments where they share space with slower, lighter, more vulnerable pedestrians or traditional cyclists.

and yet, there’s a decent/vocal minority of people on this forum and elsewhere who think the path (no pun intended!!) to more people on bikes or foot and out of cars is to make e-bikes faster and more powerful.

read the room people - most e-bikes are used in urban environments where they share space with slower, lighter, more vulnerable pedestrians or traditional cyclists.
Although, a great many of the "traditional cyclists" I've dealt with on MUPs and other multi use spaces are NOT "slower". Their only saving grace for their assholishness is they're not nearly as heavy, and so, technically, can't do as much damage when they mow pedestrians down ...

Although, a great many of the "traditional cyclists" I've dealt with on MUPs and other multi use spaces are NOT "slower". Their only saving grace for their assholishness is they're not nearly as heavy, and so, technically, can't do as much damage when they mow pedestrians down ...
clearly there are local differences in behavior - i’ve ridden maybe 15,000 miles on bike lanes, roads, and MUPs in the bay area in the last couple years and have never once seen one of these infamous high speed riders in a superhero costume hit anyone - or even come close. anyone who can ride that fast (>20 mph) on level ground for a sustained period is likely a pretty skilled rider. most of our MUPs also have a 15mph limit.

Totally agree, unmotorized bikes account for a lot of the assholishness I've seen on streets and bikeways of all kinds.

Accordingly, most of Carlsbad's new bike regs targeted all bikes, not just ebikes. Sounds like Encinitas also sees a general bike public safety issue.

It was a young guy on an un-motorized bike that rear-ended me on a Saturday afternoon, on a narrow bridge pathway (14th St. bridge from DC to Virginia) , full of pedestrians.
No damage thankfully.
I don't go on the popular paths on the weekends anymore.

Last edited:
I would like to edit your post to say "yahoos are everywhere."
On last Saturday, I was happily riding through one of the 'urban villages' of the area. I could spot a stereotypical "grandpa" pedalling his bike. Only he rode a tad fast (within 25 km/h). I correctly guessed the old man rode an e-bike. My joy of spotting a fellow e-biker got spoilt soon. A yahoo riding something that could be described as "a very lightweight dirt e-motorcycle" appeared from the opposite side at a lightning speed (at least 60 km/h or more). He was actually jumping over speed bumps! Yes, yahoos are everywhere. I could only hope that maniac would not kill or maim someone else on some day. Because if he would get killed himself, I would not cry for him.

The many municipal governments in San Diego County banded together to form SANDAG, the San Diego Association of Governments. Over the years, SANDAG has put billions of dollars into bike infrastructure all over the county — especially along the coast. They've also taken the lead in both cycling promotion and regulation.

From their documents and press, SANDAG bike officials seem like serious, thoughtful, data-driven people committed to getting people out of cars and onto bikes as safely as possible. And they get results.

Since you often have no idea what jurisdiction you're riding in, I'd love for SANDAG (a) to come up with a new uniform bike control code to address the growing public safety issue, and (b) to give their members the incentives and resources needed to enforce that code in the showiest possible way.

In my view, the only real problem with the new Carlsbad regs has been lack of vigorous enforcement.

clearly there are local differences in behavior - i’ve ridden maybe 15,000 miles on bike lanes, roads, and MUPs in the bay area in the last couple years and have never once seen one of these infamous high speed riders in a superhero costume hit anyone - or even come close. anyone who can ride that fast (>20 mph) on level ground for a sustained period is likely a pretty skilled rider. most of our MUPs also have a 15mph limit.
Come on up to Seattle and try the Burke Gilman trail - there are plenty of them 😱. Granted, they don't always mow down pedestrians, but that's only because most regular users have learned to get the hell out of their way.

Come on up to Seattle and try the Burke Gilman trail - there are plenty of them 😱. Granted, they don't always mow down pedestrians, but that's only because most regular users have learned to get the hell out of their way.
i do wonder why there would be such regional differences. most roadies here stick to roads, because MUP are generally just not that great for riding far and fast. the one or two that get frequently used by “serious” cyclists here are because there is no safe connecting road. they are heavily signed for speed and other restrictions and bad behavior by cyclists seems incredibly rare.

i do wonder why there would be such regional differences. most roadies here stick to roads, because MUP are generally just not that great for riding far and fast. the one or two that get frequently used by “serious” cyclists here are because there is no safe connecting road. they are heavily signed for speed and other restrictions and bad behavior by cyclists seems incredibly rare.
Must be something in the water where you live. I'll pay you to send a bottle to the Carlsbad Water Department for analysis and replication.

Firmly believe that this kind of splashy, hard-nosed enforcement of existing bike laws would reduce irresponsible riding in problem-areas like mine...

CHP plans 'maximum enforcement' for July Fourth weekend

The California Highway Patrol will intensify its policing of San Diego-area freeways and rural roads starting Friday as part of its annual effort to nab intoxicated motorists and crack down on other types of dangerous driving over the extended Fourth of July holiday weekend.
School kids are the most common offenders here. Several splashy weekend crackdowns in a row, and word would get around. Doing it several times during peak tourist season would be even better.

Parents and ebike rental operators would be incentivized to push responsible riding on their kids/customers. Little evidence of that now.

Firmly believe that this kind of splashy, hard-nosed enforcement of existing bike laws would reduce irresponsible riding in problem-areas like mine...

School kids are the most common offenders here. Several splashy weekend crackdowns in a row, and word would get around. Doing it several times during peak tourist season would be even better.

Parents and ebike rental operators would be incentivized to push responsible riding on their kids/customers. Little evidence of that now.

yes, perhaps, but maybe not the highest and best use of limited law enforcement resources. a reckless or drunk driver is probably 100 times more likely to kill someone than a bad cyclist.

i wonder if writing tickets for speeding cyclists or scooters is self-sufficient / profitable. seems like it would be if you figure the cost per year of a full time officer is around 300k all in for maybe 200 8 hour shifts. $1,500 a shift, 15 tickets at $100 net.

i’ve been pulled over twice for stop sign violations on a bike. ticketed once. the other time the officer didn’t ticket me but was an absolute a-hole and i wrote a letter to complain about his behavior. it did a fat lot of good 😂

I was hit from the rear by a roadie a few years back riding my ebike on a popular local MUP. He must have been drafting behind me up one of the climbs but I had no idea he was there, zero communication from him. I backed off my pace slightly to give some pedestrians ahead room, whack! feel the impact and turn to see him flying through the air over his bike.

I was concerned for his scrapes at the time but shake my head even now recalling that behaviour. On that path now I always carry a first aid kit in the unlikely event any roadies spontaneously eject themselves over my rear tyre.

Roadies around here will generally keep off the MUPs but this section is a popular strava segment. I think the strava red mist must take over for a minority. I see borderline behaviour on many rides on this path: SAFA Brian passes through gaps of pedestrians, rocketing past small kids weaving around learning to ride, etc.

To be fair I've also seen bad behaviour from electric scooter, ebikes, and yes, even petrol dirt bikes on our MUPs.

To editorialise, I think the more complex US class system (ebike class system, that is) does lead to more access pressure points like the article Jeremy posted. Invariably, the more 45 km/h bikes you have in the population, the more they're going to interact with non-cycling path users. Here we have a paltry 25 km/h limit. As a commuter it feels painfully slow at times, but debate about ebike MUP and MTB trail access is almost non-existent - we can ride everywhere non-powered bikes go. Swings and roundabouts... Or to quote Stan Lee, 'with great power comes great responsibility.'

Last edited:
I was hit from the rear by a roadie a few years back riding my ebike on a popular local MUP. He must have been drafting behind me up one of the climbs but I had no idea he was there, zero communication from him. I backed off my pace slightly to give some pedestrians ahead room, whack! feel the impact and turn to see him flying through the air over his bike.

I was concerned for his scrapes at the time but shake my head even now recalling that behaviour. On that path now I always carry a first aid kit in the unlikely event any roadies spontaneously eject themselves over my rear tyre.

Roadies around here will generally keep off the MUPs but this section is a popular strava segment. I think the strava red mist must take over for a minority. I see borderline behaviour on many rides on this path: SAFA Brian passes through gaps of pedestrians, rocketing past small kids weaving around learning to ride, etc.

To be fair I've also seen bad behaviour from electric scooter, ebikes, and yes, even petrol dirt bikes on our MUPs.

damn, that sucks! did you go down too? i’ve never seen anything like that.

the only really frequent rude behavior i see on paths is completely oblivious groups of people walking 3 or 4 abreast, not making any effort to make room for anyone else. that and the occasional dog with a leash trying to re-enact one of these movie scenes with a tripwire 😂

the only really frequent rude behavior i see on paths is completely oblivious groups of people walking 3 or 4 abreast, not making any effort to make room for anyone else. that and the occasional dog with a leash trying to re-enact one of these movie scenes with a tripwire 😂
Yes, I see that a lot, too. Plenty of blame to go around on MUPs.

Oblivious pedestrians are consistently my biggest threat, and not just on MUPs. They also take over bike lanes here — often quite defiantly. Runners are the worst in that regard — even when they have a dedicated foot path 10 feet away.

On that path now I always carry a first aid kit in the unlikely event any roadies spontaneously eject themselves over my rear tyre.
I don’t have crowded paths to worry about on my relatively empty roads. I do carry a deluxe first aid kit because of the idiots who like to gun it past me on blind curves. Recently this happened and a teenager driving a Kia on the other side of the road put himself in a ditch avoiding the monster truck passing me.

Haha, no. I was able to ride it to a stop. Full cream ebikes are surprisingly stable when hit from behind by carbon framed road bikes. My derailleur was the only thing knocked out a bit.

I get plenty of oblivious walkers too. The proliferation of ear buds make it more challenging. I do see myself as a advocate for ebikes, so am always courteous and slow to a crawl with a thank you. Call it Ogmios' School of Zen biking. We could all do with a little more Ogmios in our lives.

That's one of the benefits of assistance, there's no penalty to slowing down: a few revolutions of the pedals and we're back up to cruising speed again.

Back