Toronto Metrolinx says e-bike batteries that don't meet standards won't be allowed on trains

antboy

Ernesaks says the decision to restrict certain types of e-bikes was made after a policy review.

"Over the course of the past several months, Metrolinx has been actively reviewing our bike policies to support increased demand from our bike users," she said in an emailed statement.

"To ensure the safety of our customers and better align with other jurisdictions, Metrolinx will require e-bike batteries to comply with standard UL or CE requirements in addition to other measures," she said, referring to recognized safety standards.
I regularly take the train out of the city, and do day rides back.

Luckily, when an inspector rolls around, I'll be in the clear (I double checked), but I think a lot of food delivery people will be less lucky. On any given ride on the train, I see food couriers taking their e-bikes to/from the city where they can maximize profits.

I would ban them too. Sketchy batteries, BMS, and riders are gonna spoil it for all of us.

We don't have too many around here, but the food delivery guys are the most dangerous thing about NYC.

I would ban them too. Sketchy batteries, BMS, and riders are gonna spoil it for all of us.

We don't have too many around here, but the food delivery guys are the most dangerous thing about NYC.
We have tons of Uber Eats etc delivery bikes in my area. There's a distinct rattle from many of those bikes, like every bolt is a half turn away from popping off.

I'd say a complete lack of maintenance plays a big role.

Back