What's holding back the e-bike boom? Research, safety, and bias (article)

Solarcabin

Region
USA
The electric bike industry is taking off in the U.S., spurred in part by the pandemic bike boom and a growing awareness about sustainability and the transportation sector’s impact on climate change. As I shared in a recent BikePortland article, my interest in e-bikes has piqued over the last year or so, and I’m now planning to be one of the hundreds of thousands of proud electric bicycle owners in the U.S. (more details on that journey coming soon!).

But even though the data looks promising, and the media has caught wind of the enthusiasm, there are still several things holding back the e-bike tide according to local experts we talked to. First, policymakers need more hard data and research to get on board. We also need safer streets. Despite the added power, stability, and other features (like always-on lights) that can make e-bikes safer, traffic safety concerns loom large in the minds of would-be riders. And finally, some people are put-off by a lingering anti e-bike cultural stigma.

Do those things sound familiar? Remove the “e” and you see it’s a similar set of issues that have long plagued analog bikes in America.

John MacArthur, the Sustainable Transportation Program Manager at Portland State University’s Transportation Research and Education Center (TREC) — and a nationally-known e-bike expert — says that having more information about how people ride their e-bikes is crucial if we expect government to give them subsidies on par with EV cars (the lack of EV-bike subsidies in Oregon, compared to cars, is very stark). If researchers can prove that increased e-bike ridership reduces people’s vehicle miles traveled (VMT), thereby lowering their individual carbon emissions, there’s a reason for governments to incentivize buying them.

If just 15% of urban transportation miles traveled were made by e-bike instead of cars, carbon emissions could be reduced by 12%​
“There’s still a belief that biking is recreational, not utilitarian,” MacArthur says. “For state and local jurisdictions to put dollars toward these programs, they want to see that there’s an intended benefit they’re empowered to meet.”

But the electric car craze still dominates the conversation when it comes to reducing carbon emissions via transportation, proven by the ghosting of bikes and sole focus on car charging stations in the Biden Infrastructure Bill. Cars are so ingrained into the American ethos and urban design that those in the e-bike industry say it’s hard for many people to imagine being able to replace their car with a bike.

MORE: https://bikeportland.org/2021/12/17...e-e-bike-boom-research-safety-and-bias-342556

I ride solar powered ebikes:

Rattan 750 LM All Terrain Adventure Ebike

Freego 1200 All Terrain Adventure Ebike

It's coming. Lead, hop on board, follow, whatever. Trudge along blindly thinking it will be stopped or slowed down and get run over by a steam roller is what I think.

Ebikes tick too many boxes that meet the needs of humans. Fun, exercise, adventure, travel, daily transport, etc, etc. I see people that are basically homeless using ebikes as vehicles and all the way to people who could be doing about anything they want enjoying them.

I suspect the next 10 or more years will be unprecedented growth on top of growth.

The problem of the perception of ebikes is interesting. I wonder how much of it is driven by the small group of riders who want high wattage, high speed bikes that are more like electric mopeds, but want them treated as bikes? It's a pretty different group from those who want a bike as a car alternative, or a recreational rider like myself. Put another way, the whole group of ebike riders gets criticized for the actions of a few who ride too fast in the wrong places. Unlike most European countries, we have a mostly unregulated scene where anything goes and the most extreme setups (together with irresponsible riders) seems to drive authorities nuts.

US citizens are car addicts.
Nation of blimps, that's what we are.
This is not Holland or the rest of Europe, where everything, home & business, are centrally located. People have to drive to their job and that distance goes from 30 miles to their job and in extreme cases, over 100 (think of the I-80 commute that some in Scranton, PA take to their job in NYC and at that, there is not even a passenger train available that can take up some of that automobile jam to and from).

Now, mix in a true 4 season climate and a 30 mile commute. How is that going to go when a winter storm is laying down 6 to 12 inches of snow?

There is a dedicated core of commuter bikers in the US. I can see some of them going electric as they age out; so they may remain on their bikes. I can see more young city people taking to ebikes for work and pleasure as they are not likely to go beyond their city limits. To them, it's a hip and stylish thing to get into ebike culture.

Look at how poor our local, state and national (Amtrak) rail agencies have been in providing roll-on, roll-off storage for any bicycle. It simply is not there. But it should be. Instead, cyclists riding Amtrak have to break the bike down and put it in a cardboard box. This is untenable for any ideas of furthering the ebike as a viable alternative to the car.

Aside from the big cities, I do not see big changes coming. More bike trails will be constructed, of course, and maybe in several more decades to come, we'll see some kind of change in use of the ebike as a viable alternative to a gas or electric car.

We need more people on bikes to get safe infrastructure built. We need more safe infrastructure to get more people to ride bikes. That's the trouble. I also think that some people get a bike and ride it until they have a close call with a car, then they quit. I almost did.

My neighbors drive a half mile to work. That's how it is here in the west.

There's already PLENTY of interest as e-bikes roll out. I think there a big concern though, regarding how to use an e-bike safely.

In this area of Florida, I think the powers that be are too used to the demands of user groups (putting them on ignore), but they're getting tired of seeing news of walkers, bike riders, people in wheel chairs, women with baby carriages, not to mention kids commuting to school, getting mowed down every day. It's become clear that damn painted line is not working out well and it would appear that news of multi use trails/paths is becoming more common. REAL multi use trails/paths with some sort of barrier separating traffic from the pedestrians and riders. Even if it's a curb and 10' of sod. IMHO THIS is what it's going to take to encourage the use of e-bikes.

There's already PLENTY of interest as e-bikes roll out. I think there a big concern though, regarding how to use an e-bike safely.

In this area of Florida, I think the powers that be are too used to the demands of user groups (putting them on ignore), but they're getting tired of seeing news of walkers, bike riders, people in wheel chairs, women with baby carriages, not to mention kids commuting to school, getting mowed down every day. It's become clear that damn painted line is not working out well and it would appear that news of multi use trails/paths is becoming more common. REAL multi use trails/paths with some sort of barrier separating traffic from the pedestrians and riders. Even if it's a curb and 10' of sod. IMHO THIS is what it's going to take to encourage the use of e-bikes.
Yes, agree. Some countries, like the Netherlands, have learned this and put in place a whole separate infrastructure for bikes. A white line on the pavement will never work, given all the distracted drivers we have in the US.
I think we'll also see a big geographic divide, high ebike use in the sunbelt, not so much in the snow belt. Heck, electric vehicles like Tesla don't work well where I live. Cold just kills battery life. Can you imagine how a ebike battery would do after the bike sat (locked of course) outside a store for an hour in 20 degree (f) weather?

Hello Solarcabin: I read your article at BikePortland with great interest about 10 days ago (I'm assuming you're the author, no?) even though I live in snowy New England. Dr. Google brought the article to my attention, as I too have become obsessed with my newfound (early 2020) E-Bike hobby. I ride purely for recreation. Fitness is a value added benefit.

There are a number of excellent points above by members of the EBR community, but this one by RetiredNH hit the nail on the head from my perspective:

The problem of the perception of ebikes is interesting. I wonder how much of it is driven by the small group of riders who want high wattage, high speed bikes that are more like electric mopeds, but want them treated as bikes? It's a pretty different group from those who want a bike as a car alternative, or a recreational rider like myself. Put another way, the whole group of ebike riders gets criticized for the actions of a few who ride too fast in the wrong places. Unlike most European countries, we have a mostly unregulated scene where anything goes and the most extreme setups (together with irresponsible riders) seems to drive authorities nuts.

Yup! Adding to that, I have a bit a bit of a bug up my a** about throttle riding. I know they're necessary in certain situations for some of the heavier bikes and riders, but the throttle feature is driving the e-bike marketplace in the United States, and all too many riders wouldn't be caught dead pedaling. I don't care if they do or they don't, but it underscores a lot of the backlash and resistance to e-bikes on mixed use trails. I understand some of that sentiment. I don't want to share rail trails with Mopeds (motorbikes) either, and too many of the available e-bikes are just that; Mopeds with pedals, which essentially are just footrests for many riders that are scattering pedestrians off the path, riding full throttle. I've witnessed this.

I haven't traveled to Europe in recent years, but I get the impression that e-bikes have achieved a level of far greater social acceptance, and that in large part, I have to believe, is due to much more stringent regulation.

Like Like Reply

Last edited:
It's my opinion that the eBike boom will soon be a bust and used eBikes that haven't been used in a year will hit the used market. Look at the size of EVs that the big automakers are trying to sell. Giant pickups and SUVs. Who needs a 3 ton electric pickup to go get a coffee and a bag of groceries? It will take a major shift in thinking for both vehicles and bicycles to remain viable. It's hard to get an objective cross section in thinking and action on an eBike enthusiast group.

It's my opinion that the eBike boom will soon be a bust and used eBikes that haven't been used in a year will hit the used market. Look at the size of EVs that the big automakers are trying to sell. Giant pickups and SUVs. Who needs a 3 ton electric pickup to go get a coffee and a bag of groceries? It will take a major shift in thinking for both vehicles and bicycles to remain viable. It's hard to get an objective cross section in thinking and action on an eBike enthusiast group.
Rich, interesting opening opinion. I'm sure some of that will happen just given humanity/consumerism. Do you mind sharing what would be causing that (driving it) if it went into a wider trend? (The boom going to bust part.)

US citizens are car addicts.
Nation of blimps, that's what we are.
If you live in an area that rains a lot like the north west coast or in an area that has snow on the ground for many months it might not be practical.
In the warmer places that don't have a ton of rain and it barely snows, this is ideal for people to really engage in Ebikes, so in these states very progressive laws towards ebikes are needed.
They can lead the way if they want to.

I think we are a ways out from an Ebike bust, why do I say that, because of new technology emerging that enhances the overall experience.
In almost every sector of the economy where technology is growing a category, it is not regressing that category.
Essentially Ebikes are much like cordless tools, something I know alot about as I sell them everyday at work, the battery tech keeps getting better and better, it has driven sales for all major power tool companies in recent years, the numbers are so staggering when the vendors share them with us. Let me give you just one example, in just one new SKU launched in a year, that one item created such a huge volume of sales that it exceeded the entire sales volume of all items combined sold 5 years ago. Battery powered everything is not slowing down, the only thing slowing it down is supply chain issues. But the demand is massive and always growing.

The only area I think they are lagging behind is creating a more comfortable seating situation, when powered by 2 batteries that are 52V each and 21ah and you can go 200Km in one shot and if people don't feel comfortable at the end of that trip they just will stop doing them and go back to other vehicles. And although new seats, suspensions and fat tires are helping, more is needed.

Last edited:
Anytime someone ask about my ebike they flinch at the price, even at the price for my RadRunner 1. A ebike that I consider a great value. I find it funny because most of the people who flinch at the price are in a nicer car. Oh well, their loss. Other thing is speed. They think 20mph isn't fast enough. I bet they can't even control an analog pedal bike at 10mph. Again, their loss.

Final thing is terrible infrastructure. My 14 mile commute one way has some harrowing intersections. I'm used to them now but still keep my guard up! I can imagine a virgin ebike rider trying some of my route to work for the first time. I wont fault anyone for being worried about riding in this crazy traffic.

But with the promised improvement in infrastructure and rumored tax breaks I think more people will be taking the ebike purchase plunge. Actually I have seen a increase in ebikes on the road.

Anytime someone ask about my ebike they flinch at the price, even at the price for my RadRunner 1. A ebike that I consider a great value. I find it funny because most of the people who flinch at the price are in a nicer car. Oh well, their loss. Other thing is speed. They think 20mph isn't fast enough. I bet they can't even control an analog pedal bike at 10mph. Again, their loss.

Final thing is terrible infrastructure. My 14 mile commute one way has some harrowing intersections. I'm used to them now but still keep my guard up! I can imagine a virgin ebike rider trying some of my route to work for the first time. I wont fault anyone for being worried about riding in this crazy traffic.

But with the promised improvement in infrastructure and rumored tax breaks I think more people will be taking the ebike purchase plunge. Actually I have seen a increase in ebikes on the road.
they flinch because they think bikes are toys.

they flinch because they think bikes are toys.
Not so sure there isn't a little more to it than that. Laying out the money for that first e-bike, not knowing if it's going to be used frequently/work out well for you, or end up collecting rust and dust sitting in a dark corner of the storage shed, parting with that money requires a HUGE leap of faith for most of us. I think it's safe to say not all of us have that kind of money to spend on a whim to see if we like it or not... THAT's what causing that flinch - even if you do drive a nicer car. Afterwards, after you've made the commitment, I think it's also a safe bet the vast majority making that leap are SO glad, often bashing themselves for not making it sooner! -Al

I dont know for all the of the bikes sold here in portland and its a big biking city I dont see that many more bikes out there. I think e bikes for most are seen even more of a toy then a regular bike. next year when people realize there was a reason they didn't to bike will be selling a lot of bikes.

Ebikes are selling and renting strong here in scottsdale, less for primary transportation and more a nice way to get some sunshine and light exercise while going out for a nice brunch. I’ve also talked to a few tourists on ebikes who shared with me the Airbnb they are staying at had them for use which is a neat perk. I’ve been using mine as a primary commuter and when I cross the 101 loop I see cars as far as the eye can see at rush hour and I have the large bike path. I don’t anticipate many folks giving up their commuter car for ebikes but can see more getting one for fun on the weekend to go to brunch or heading to the mountain bike trails.

Yes we are almost exclusively off road riding with our eMTBs. We see more and more when we are out by virtue of our new focus - ebikes Also we get asked about them frequently in positive and interested ways.

I'll be on a e-trike if I am still around when all that infrastructure stuff happens. We just ride on recreational bike paths anyway. Before Covid, we used to go on road trips to ride them. Maybe we will again. I'd like to see the Hiawatha trail and various routes out West. In the meantime, it's all local riding, and we have a fun one near home. Not as boring as you might expect. ,

I'll ride to the local library and pick up my meds at Walgreens by bike, but there's low risk of theft there, and only one traffic light to cross. Riding to my old job is possible, but still a bit risky. I see a white ghost bike about a 1/2 mile from my old workplace where a lady got run over four years ago,

Back