Encinitas City Council declares emergency for e-bikes, bicycles

The bikes may not all be crap, but a whole lot of their batteries certainly are...
I could watch this video on YouTube:

The British guy from Global Cycling Network bought the cheapest e-bike available in the UK on Amazon that met the British legal criteria: no throttle, 15.5 mph speed restriction. He actually liked the e-bike (except the hopeless suspension fork). He expressed his anxiety against a potential battery fire. To my surprise, a close up revealed the battery was manufactured in... Poland. I don't think Europe is happy with uncertified Chinese batteries.

That GCN guy beat a traditional super-climber cyclist on a 25% grade ascent! (but not on the whole route).

From article in my previous post:
The importance of the issue has arisen partly due to an actual increase in e-bike fires,
but also largely due to a media frenzy that has blown the issue out of proportion.
While e-bike fires do occur in the US, they represent one of the lowest risks of all forms of transportation.
Many more cyclists are killed by cars than people who are killed by e-bike batteries occasionally catching fire.

None of that would be surprising. Humans are extremely bad at rationally evaluating risk. Even people whose job is to evaluate risks often aren't very good at it.

None of that would be surprising. Humans are extremely bad at rationally evaluating risk. Even people whose job is to evaluate risks often aren't very good at it.
Yep. Every one of us has a 100% probability of taking a dirt nap at some point, but hardly anyone prepares for it.

Back