DÖST IS LIVE!

I don't do facebook, but hopefully the highlights from the Q&A will be posted here. Sounds pretty good, go with your gut until proven otherwise is a good approach especially with your experience. Right now I only trust the Rohloff IGH, but hopefully Enviolo will change that. Certainly 14 speeds is overkill I believe for a good e-bike, so that should help building a tougher robust hub as they can certainly limit the number of gears, but 3 is too limiting I believe, but it all depends on the motor.

I just went to the site and noticed that it was up and running. I really like the look of the bike and pretty well everything about it except for the fact that it doesn't come with a torque sensor.
This really is inexcusable.
Almost all the bikes in this price range (Biktrix, Juiced, Frey, etc.) come with torque sensor, so why Dost isn't including one in their bikes is a real mystery.

My ebike has cadence and torque sensing and a throttle, while my wife's ebike only has cadence and throttle. I love the torque sensing and MUCH prefer it over using the throttle to get going.
I don't know if the lack of a torque sensor will hurt Dost sales, but I do know that without a torque sensor I wouldn't buy one.

I just went to the site and noticed that it was up and running. I really like the look of the bike and pretty well everything about it except for the fact that it doesn't come with a torque sensor.
Almost all the bikes in this price range (Biktrix, Juiced, Frey, etc.) come with torque sensor, so why Dost isn't including one in their bikes is a real mystery.

My ebike has cadence and torque sensing and a throttle, while my wife's ebike only has cadence and throttle. I love the torque sensing and MUCH prefer it over using the throttle to get going.
I don't know if the lack of a torque sensor will hurt Dost sales, but I do know that without a torque sensor I wouldn't buy one.
Does not bother me, but sounds like an excellent first question for the Q&A.

Guessing A will not change from page 2 of this thread.
True, but they can add more color to the answer maybe going into more detail about how it affects the e-bike customer they are targeting and what data they have collected over the years. I suspect that because of their motor choice they just can't have it, otherwise they would put it in and default it to off. Still my experience has been so far that good controller software is better than a torque sensor and average software.

Anyway we know one bike can not make everyone happy so we just have to hope that their first bike makes a lot of people happy so they have the money to make another bike at some point with different features.

From a mass market perspective their customers won't know better. I do like he simplicity of my cadence sensing BBS01. I can pedal harder to get more workout for any given level of assist. Torque sensor somewhat counteracts that so I find the workout harder to dial in. The BBS02 are also super quiet which is a plus in my book, and proven as DOST points out. I would not bet the farm on the M600 due to the noise and lack of programming. Not sure about the efficiency of the BBS02. I definitely notice the motor resistance on my BBS01 when the assist is off. What other options did DOST have? Bafang Ultra like Watt Wagons? Some other mid drive like the Dapu (I've hear the torque sensing isn't that impressive). I would have gone with the Ultra, but maybe cost or weight was a factor.

I just went to the site and it's back the animated stuff. That's weird, because the full site was up and running 3 hours ago. I wonder if Dost was going through a test run.
The webpage showed two bikes, a regular framed and a step-through and also including the pricing.
The bikes look really nice.

I just went to the site and it's back the animated stuff. That's weird, because the full site was up and running 3 hours ago. I wonder if Dost was going through a test run.
The webpage showed two bikes, a regular framed and a step-through and also including the pricing.
The bikes look really nice.
Interesting, might have been a test or and accidental leak. Looks like you had an early look.

'Inexcusable' is sort of harsh. A lot of riders do prefer cadence sensing when they have the chance to try both. It's a very subjective and depends on a lot of factors, such as rider strength, and whether they really want to put in more effort and sometimes that is even more of a perception issue, as well as rider desired average speeds, where people who are really aggressive and go at higher speeds seem to lean a bit more toward cadence sensing. And then there are those who just prefer th e 'smoothness' of feel they get from torque sensing.

What's interesting is customers I've had who bought Smart Motion Catalysts, were about 50/50 on whether they'd use torque sensing all the time, or cadence sensing all the time. It was one or the other,and none of them who gave me feedback after a few years of riding and bringing their ebikes in for tune ups, said they alternated between both.

It would have been a nice to have, but probably not a deal killer for every possible buyer.

'Inexcusable' is sort of harsh. A lot of riders do prefer cadence sensing when they have the chance to try both. It's a very subjective and depends on a lot of factors, such as rider strength, and whether they really want to put in more effort and sometimes that is even more of a perception issue, as well as rider desired average speeds, where people who are really aggressive and go at higher speeds seem to lean a bit more toward cadence sensing.
Definitely. I’ve had strokes with residual weakness in my left leg. Torque sensing would be the “deal breaker” for me, as well as many deconditioned riders looking to get back into the sport.

I specifically need cadence sensing, not torque sensing.

Just went to their website. For the price this is a really nice looking bike. My wife really likes the step-through model.

Last edited:
A little too much marketing fluff in the video, I wish they would have include more meat in the video. Statements like, "there are no e-bike out there with .... and if they are...." they are either out there or they are not. As soon as I hear stuff like that I realize they spent to much time trying to come up with a pitch, and as usual they ended up with old tiring lines we've heard a thousand times. I don't dislike these bikes; I think they are onto something, but they still seem to be struggling with what they want their corporate image to be.

Didn't we hear before that the integrated battery was going to be in the 825Wh range? I was pretty disappointed to hear it was in the 600Wh range.

The second battery was reported to be $499US, now they are saying it is $699US and 50% off for pre-orders. $700US for 48V 10.4Ah battery is over priced, I buy Samsung 48V 13+Ah in metal case with charger for $450US or less.

This is quite an expensive bike, and not quite as good a value I think as we were led to believe. I really like it, it just didn't reach the price/quality point I thought they were aiming for. A real pitty they went with 48V rather than 52V nominal as well.

They have quite a bit of competition at their price point with or without the dual battery, so it will be interesting times.

I told Sam his bike is a perfect “PhD” electric bike - I.e., “Push here, Dummy!” - for the non tinkerer types among us trying to get back into biking after a long time away, as the technology behind ebikes has evolved to the point it’s no longer just a tinkerer’s type of electric vehicle, but something the rest of us can now enjoy.

It should prove to be a simple, utilitarian, reliable, yet affordable and powerful mid motor ebike design. This technology has matured to the point that I feel if I was still in practice, these could be recommended to bike riders in general, but also the non-mechanically inclined, elderly and physically challenged individuals.

I’ve had 5 strokes and was paralyzed on the left side 4 years ago. Following a remarkable recovery, an ebike will enable me to get back on a two wheel bicycle. (I’m already back on a motorcycle.)

I had a lot of geriatric, diabetic and other debilitated patients who would try bicycling for exercise if they could buy a simple reliable ebike and they knew they could overcome hills and get back home when they were too tired to pedal with just a throttle.

The range on these bikes would give them the confidence to ride farther and still get back home.

I’d love to see these properly marketed to that emerging segment of the market too.

Last edited:
This is quite an expensive bike, and not quite as good a value I think as we were led to believe. I really like it, it just didn't reach the price/quality point I thought they were aiming for. A real pitty they went with 48V rather than 52V nominal as well.

Be thankful you don't live in Canada. Because of our crappy Canadian dollar the bikes are $3700.

Be thankful you don't live in Canada. Because of our crappy Canadian dollar the bikes are $3700.
I saw that, I was a little shocked. The Canadian dollar has ben recovering and they can land them at a GVRD port for less money that a US port I'm sure.

I'm very happy with the deal I got on my Canadian DJ-eBikes MTB, and I see on that the Canadian price is more reasonable vs US Price. Even up against my Juiced RCS it has some things I like better over all. Of course these earlier bikes are not as Pretty as DOST, Frey, or the latest Ride1Up. The RCS is a beast of a bike, definitely more at home on the road, bike trail, or other wider path, maneuvering that thing on 'real trails' would be hell I think. The DOST looks like a smaller bike than the RCS which is good, but I didn't compare all the dimensions to make sure that was true.

Yeah let's face it, these are pretty expensive bikes, but for the mass market maybe the other attributes are more important. I'll be watching the earlier reviews to see what's working and what's not with these. I want to try a middrive, but I'll wait for one with belt and IGH since the price is too high to buy one just for testing when I already have a couple bikes and one has just over 150miles on it, practically new.

Back