DÖST IS LIVE!

Some comments on my short ride on the Dost ebike:

The Good
-this is a good looking bike, with a very good fit and finish.

-the bike feels very stable. Very easy to ride and quite agile.

-it has tons of power. The speed limiter was not in place and pedaling hard I was able to hit 48kph on a flat section.
In the top (5) power range I had no problem cruising along at 40kph, with just normal pedaling. If I bought this bike I'd also buy the extra battery, because it's so easy to ride this bike at faster speeds.

The Not So Good.
-each and every time I stopped pedaling I could hear and actually feel a clunk coming from the motor. I'd be interested to know if this was normal for Bafang mid-drives or if it was a single issue with this bike. This is the first ebike I've ridden with a Bafang mid-drive.

-Dost has to do something with that wiring harness that runs underneath the motor. It looks like crap. How hard would it be to come up with a plastic cover that bolts on to the motor case?

Overall, my wife and I both like this bike and it's on her short list.
Hi Deacon, glad to hear that overall you enjoyed riding the Drop and you got to meet Sam at the office. The clunk is not normal, I'm not sure what might cause that. I've got a ton of miles on several Bafang mid-drives (I commute 365 days a year) and this is new to me. I will say that because of the cadence-sensing design, when the bike is in PAS 5 (max torque, max current) the motor does produce sound as it goes from off (zero torque) to on (max. torque). Also, thanks for you continued participation here at EBR, all these comments serve to help us improve our designs year on year. Dave

But do they have any in stock yet?
Hi Scout, Bardown is correct, both the Kope and Drop models are due to arrive end of May beginning of June. We've just had confimation from our factory that they will meet this delivery date. Thanks, Dave

I wonder why they didn't just go for BBSHD though.. considering Juiced CCX, Surface 604 Shred, HillEater Galiano GMAC, WattWagons, Biktrix, etc.. are all going for high performance. 😧 Unlike Bafang Ultra, I don't think BBSHD is much more expensive than the BBS02, and it is almost identical externally, has 66% larger stator, better controller, more torque and other updates.
I commented similarly a while back in another thread. They missed the mark with the motor.

It's all about cost. These guys have some savy marketing, the image and reality don't match.
Still, a nice bike for many.

Timpo, I agree totally. I was very interested and was waiting to see what motor they were using and had the same thoughts about older motor and not that much cost savings over the BBSHD. Also was hoping for torque sensor.

Timpo, I agree totally. I was very interested and was waiting to see what motor they were using and had the same thoughts about older motor and not that much cost savings over the BBSHD. Also was hoping for torque sensor.
But otherwise great job and nice components

As I mentioned in a previous post, I test rode this bike and found the power to be decent, but not having torque sensing was a deal breaker for me.
An Ultra motor in this frame would be awesome.

Hey SAM.
Good job on the new bikes! They hit all the marks for me, throttle, mid drive power for hills, shift sensor and design. I really liked the design of the Kope. I'm going to search out local bike shops in the SF Bay area to ride one.

Unfortunately, I am physically disabled with a painful, compound back condition. My overall health is declining now so I need to get back to biking. Something like this will be perfect for me to work up to better health. It's a little over my budget living on disability pay. I may have to skip my medications for a few months. In the US we still have FOR PROFIT HEALTHCARE. Do you anticipate any sale pricing in the near future? Are there any changes planned for the Kope/Drop bikes?

I hope you can reply. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Dave in Oakland CA.

Hi Dave, it’s Sam here. I’d love to talk to you.
please call me tomorrow at 1833 247 3678.
Thanks!
Sam

Attachments

• 3ED970D4-D7BF-46B5-B31E-E1CF08144502.jpeg
    3ED970D4-D7BF-46B5-B31E-E1CF08144502.jpeg
    821.7 KB · Views: 537
Hi Scout, Bardown is correct, both the Kope and Drop models are due to arrive end of May beginning of June. We've just had confimation from our factory that they will meet this delivery date. Thanks, Dave

Has anyone received a Dost bike yet?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I test rode this bike and found the power to be decent, but not having torque sensing was a deal breaker for me.
An Ultra motor in this frame would be awesome.
Possibly something they are holding back on until they see if their company is successful enough with a semi volume oriented bike, so they can then offer the more upgraded versions at a higher cost once they have made a name for themselves. So far Covid-19 is not doing them any favors and they tend to have a marketing approach in someways similar to Flx.

Looks like DOST shipped some bikes, hope those that get the first deliveries will post here. Seems pretty dead on here, I guess They are more Facebook focused.

How many Dost bikes are actually on the road? 10, 20, 30? More? I hear absolutely zero about owner experience.

Back