DÖST IS LIVE!

I believe in the video Dost's business owner said the prices were in US dollars.

I'm also waiting for details on the full suspension model.

"no mid-drives that have throttle/torque sensing that offer the same power and track record for reliability of the BBS02"

Translation: "we're using a motor nearing the end of its product lifecycle"

Nothing wrong with the BBS02 if you don't want the latest and greatest, but I think without torque sensing a new product launch in 2020 is DOA.
Hey TomDav, Tbanks for your input, you're correct, the BBS02 has been around for a long time, I believe it's now on it's 16th version - Bafang continues to develop this successful motor design. In our opinion the motor is a powerful workhorse that has stood the test of time, is incredibly reliable and easy to rebuild - a winner in our books. You are also correct that there are great new mid-drives out there, but again nothing with the power and throttle of the BBS02, and suited to a different set of riders.

And while many people do enjoy torque sensing, for many of our customers the "ease of riding" from the cadence sensor/throttle combo is what they're after. Perhaps the best part is that we can sell our mid-drive bikes starting at $2800 USD - which will allow more riders to enjoy the advantages of a mid-drive bike. Many mid-drives cost $1,000's more - putting them out of reach for many many people.

I believe in the video Dost's business owner said the prices were in US dollars.

I'm also waiting for details on the full suspension model.
Hey Deacon, thanks for your interest. Yes, the prices are in USD - $2799 for our hardtails. The Fate full suspension will be available later in the spring, our website will be live any day now and you can check for updates or sign up for emails, cheers, Dave

Hey Deacon, thanks for your interest. Yes, the prices are in USD - $2799 for our hardtails. The Fate full suspension will be available later in the spring, our website will be live any day now and you can check for updates or sign up for emails, cheers, Dave
Thanks for the info. I guess soon the website will help me find if your hard tail will be an option for me. Giant offers one for 3,200$ canadian and yours is more. Like often it is about matching our needs/wants with a bike that fills them.

What is the latest Bafang motor and how is it an improvement over the BBS02?
I think the Ultra is the latest and it's 2 generations ahead of the BBS02. It has a torque-sensor as well as throttle control. I'm not sure if you can also switch it into just cadence mode. It's a much bigger beefier motor and should be able to handle twice the power at 2000W with maybe 2500-3000 Peak, but probably most companies will not wire it for such power and go for the more conservative 1500-2000W. I'm not sure of the price difference, but it's probably worth it for the serious rider.

I like bikes with Cadence as well as Torque sensing, different ride feel and control. I think they both have their place so ideally the best is to be able to switch the bike to use one sensor or the other, or as some bikes do, use both.

It's about the price point, so we'll have to see what the competition is selling for in 2020, I won't need a new bike until 2021 at the earliest so I'm trying to learn more about the different brands and price points. I really would like a belt drive rohloff hub though for my next bike, along with full suspension.

Bafang has learned a lot about mid-drive motors and you can bet that the Ultra is more reliable than the BBS02.

Im eagerly awaiting your launch. I know there is great debate on the cadence/Tongue features but to me this is checking off a lot of boxes. I was leading towards a Juggernaut ultra 1000 (with some mods like frunt fender lower) simply because it had the mid drive, throttle options but now waiting on your offerings.

I've been looking at the Juggernaut too. I really like that they're using the latest Bafang motor, the Ultra, and that their bikes come with Torque, cadence, and a throttle, but the Juggernaut is one heavy bike. The website listed the weight at 70 pounds, but an independant reviewer listed the bike's weight at 82 pounds with the battery and 70 pounds with the battery out.

I've been looking at the Juggernaut too. I really like that they're using the latest Bafang motor, the Ultra, and that their bikes come with Torque, cadence, and a throttle, but the Juggernaut is one heavy bike. The website listed the weight at 70 pounds, but an independant reviewer listed the bike's weight at 82 pounds with the battery and 70 pounds with the battery out.

Yup, the weight is holding me back.... that and the fenders. Ive sent Biktrix a couple emails asking if they can change the fenders, put on thinner tires... maybe even 29s (Road commute) but haven had anyone get back to me yet. I am torn though.... do I really need a throttle. I know I want one but that option alone is whats holding me back from say Trek or Cube. Winter in Canada means I wont be able to test drive for a while but Im curious as to the big brands are using 250 to 350 watt mids.... then I look at the Jugger with that motor and wonder is the $4500 trek under powered or is it simply a different type of motor efficiency.

Unrelated... your handle Deacon Blues.. from the Steely Dan song?

Looks like Biktrix Juggernaut ultra is off my list. Got a reply to my questions a few mins ago. Cant lower or change the fenders (really dont like that front one... reminds me of a moped) and the only change they can do to the wheels is 27.5 x 3. Unfortunate. The search goes on.

Yup, the weight is holding me back.... that and the fenders. Ive sent Biktrix a couple emails asking if they can change the fenders, put on thinner tires... maybe even 29s (Road commute) but haven had anyone get back to me yet. I am torn though.... do I really need a throttle. I know I want one but that option alone is whats holding me back from say Trek or Cube. Winter in Canada means I wont be able to test drive for a while but Im curious as to the big brands are using 250 to 350 watt mids.... then I look at the Jugger with that motor and wonder is the $4500 trek under powered or is it simply a different type of motor efficiency.

Unrelated... your handle Deacon Blues.. from the Steely Dan song?
It depends what you are looking for. For a while i had an Haibike Yamaha system and for 32 kmh the power was there. The 250 watts is just how they name it but the peak power is a lot more. But they are not available now in Canada so i am considering a Giant wich comes with Yamaha. Giant and Trek are without throttle but i do not need one it is up to you, what you prefer. I am kind of hoping for a 49 pounds HT including a 500 Wh battery. I am in Montreal..

I didn't think that I used my throttle that much on my Pedego Ridger, but after I sat down and thought about it for a while I realized, surprisingly, that I use it more than I thought I did.
So, where did I use it:
1. for quick getaways from a stop sign or intersection light.
2. for a quick pass when a burst of speed is needed.
3. trail riding over rough terrain. Here, I'll stand up on the pedals and power over/through obstacles using only the throttle.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRA
I didn't think that I used my throttle that much on my Pedego Ridger, but after I sat down and thought about it for a while I realized, surprisingly, that I use it more than I thought I did.
So, where did I use it:
3. trail riding over rough terrain. Here, I'll stand up on the pedals and power over/through obstacles using only the throttle.
With good sensors we feel like we have throttles under our feet with a Yamaha.

So, where did I use it:

1: I agree Deacon but I use my throttle for all getaways. It's just too easy to hit the throttle a little with my left foot on the pedal, swing my leg over and get my right foot situated and start pedaling all the while moving forward....I blew out a bit to have to stop on a steep climb the other day. Got myself straightened out. Hit the throttle, moved forward, started pedaling, let go of the throttle and continued on my way.
2: A quick blip now and then can be useful for sure but my system the throttle overrides the PAS so I don't use it that often so more like...
3: I especially use this technique if I want to keep my feet dry going through standing water. I find timing my cranks to be more useful most of the time. If I keep the slightest drag on my rear brake I can easily vary my cadence without deactivating the PAS. Sometimes I'll use the throttle in rock gardens.

Seriously folks, throttles are not the devil but can be a very useful feature overall.

Signed,

2nd Class Cyclist

[QUOTE="JRA, post: 240603, member: 2009"
Seriously folks, throttles are not the devil but can be a very useful feature overall.
[/QUOTE]

:) Respect!

By itself the throttle is an option and do not need to be used. But i just read they offer a cup holder. It just shows the target customer.
Heavy bike, big battery, a motorcycle feel with a legal pass to name it a bicycle.

That’s fine with me. It will go in my garage right next to my Honda NC750X.

Back