Do I need cycling shoes?

Those shoes are on final clearance at $25 on the US site.
Same shoe, on final clearance on Canadian site is $110.

Hmmm... gouging seems to be the name of the game.
Nice looking shoe however...
Wow, great deal for those that can get it, and if they have your size! I have two pairs in different colors already, with 10k+ miles on them so far 😀

Do explain?
Tom, I had a big problem to find a good instructional video. Basically, the shoelaces can be tied: a. Granny style b. Bunny Ear style or c. Properly.

The direction in which you tie the second loop (towards you or outside) makes either a straight (proper) knot or a crooked knot. The straight knot won't untie without your action. The crooked knot unties itself very easily.

This video is about the best I could find.

The direction in which you tie the second loop (towards you or outside) makes either a straight (proper) knot or a crooked knot. The straight knot won't untie without your action. The crooked knot unties itself very easily.
Seriously, Stefan? The last thing I would be concerned about is how straight a person’s cycling shoelaces look let alone for regular walking shoes. Do you actually go around critiquing how people tie their laces? Ok, maybe if I spent a day with HRM the Queen. ;)

Seriously, Stefan? The last thing I would be concerned about is how straight a person’s cycling shoelaces look let alone for regular walking shoes. Do you actually go around critiquing how people tie their laces? Ok, maybe if I spent a day with HRM the Queen. ;)
Art: You were saying your shoelaces tended to untie on your rides, weren't you. Mine do not untie. Conclusions?

I remember seeing this shoe-tying baloney several years ago and the guy doing the video said something like "If you are starting to tie on the right then you have already failed".

Maybe it was on the left. Who cares, right? Either way it is clear the internet has given a voice to all manner of myopic kooks focusing on nonsense, and the fact that there are detailed instructional videos on how to properly tie your dam shoes - that are not aimed at 4-year olds in nursery school - is absolute proof of this.

How to tie your shoes

Last edited:
PrairieDog said he changed from regular shoelace cycling shoes to ones covered with velcro flap because his shoelaces tended to untie. As much as I respect Art, I just suspect he used to tie his shoelaces the wrong way. (If I could do it for some 45 years, he could do it as well...) Properly tied shoes won't untie.

And yes, I do love my Adidas Freerider Pros.

P.S. Art: I wrote this as an answer to m@Robertson. I got your message and respect it.

Last edited:
That’s funny about tiring your shoes, I assumed I was doing it wrong but I wasn’t. You know how sone people have natural talents? I have a few. Ties knots isn’t one of them.

That’s funny about tiring your shoes, I assumed I was doing it wrong but I wasn’t. You know how sone people have natural talents? I have a few. Ties knots isn’t one of them.
I tried to be a sailor (in the sense: a person qualified to operate sailboats) at age of 12. There were two things that eliminated me: Unable to memorize knots; and could not swim :D

Been double-tying my bike shoes forever, to account for my lack of knot-literacy 😬 and fear of them getting caught in my chain 🤯

Wow, great deal for those that can get it, and if they have your size! I have two pairs in different colors already, with 10k+ miles on them so far 😀
They're $100 on the site linked through the comment...

I just learned this a couple of months ago. It's not about how straight your laces look, is about them staying tied instead of coming loose 😉

Looking at these, but really need to find someplace to try on first. My island is lovely, but not convenient for shopping 🤪:

Screenshot_2022-08-02-17-44-03-657.jpeg
Screenshot_2022-08-02-17-43-41-751.jpeg
Screenshot_2022-08-02-17-43-13-562.jpeg
Screenshot_2022-08-02-17-42-33-547.jpeg
Screenshot_2022-08-02-17-42-10-414.jpeg

Having a hard time with the pricing (says the girl who routinely drops $150 on walking shoes every year or so!).

Looking at these, but really need to find someplace to try on first. My island is lovely, but not convenient for shopping 🤪:

View attachment 131042
View attachment 131043
View attachment 131044
View attachment 131045
View attachment 131046

Having a hard time with the pricing (says the girl who routinely drops $150 on walking shoes every year or so!).
The Giro Berm and Petra VR I believe are SPD clip in shoes which, if I understand correctly, might not be on your list of possible candidates. The Berm does have a cover for the cleat but it still might not be as practical as you would like. Nice looking shoe though.

Have to do a search for the ones on clearance that someone else mentioned

Found the same shoes, thanks! None available in my size (39-40) 😟. I am liking some of the other options, like the Flow Pop in purple!

Last edited:
The Giro Berm and Petra VR I believe are SPD clip in shoes which, if I understand correctly, might not be on your list of possible candidates. The Berm does have a cover for the cleat but it still might not be as practical as you would like. Nice looking shoe though.
Thanks - hadn't noticed that!

Back