The ultimate pedal and shoes discussion

Hi, I am an older guy and I have determined the riding clipless is not a good idea for me due to slowing reflexes...

I recently bought a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 and installed Race Face Chester flat pedals with metal pins. The pins are tearing up my sneakers at a pretty good rate. I am strictly a road rider.

A preliminary browse seems to show that '510's and Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes might be designed for these kind of pedals.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Hi, I am an older guy and I have determined the riding clipless is not a good idea for me due to slowing reflexes...

I recently bought a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 and installed Race Face Chester flat pedals with metal pins. The pins are tearing up my sneakers at a pretty good rate. I am strictly a road rider.

A preliminary browse seems to show that '510's and Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes might be designed for these kind of pedals.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
If you liked the Race Face Chesters (except for the metal pins) you may want to consider the Race Face "Ride" which replace the metal pins with composite.

An interesting observation:
My brother returned one of my e-bikes (from a long-time loan) several days ago. He forgot to remove his SPD-MTB pedals, so he had to do it at my home. To his big surprise, the pedals had seized, despite the fact he generously greased their threads before mounting them on the cranks. Yes, he managed to remove his pedals by applying high torque to the hex wrench.

I told him he should have never really tightened the pedals strongly: they will tighten themselves during rides. (I tighten pedals very lightly when I replace them myself).
Question: What anti-seize paste should be used?

Question: What anti-seize paste should be used?
I use Loctite anti-seize (silver) in stick applicator form. It is like a glue stick, so it’s less messy.

7A915B6B-51BF-40A4-98BA-6F35E5E79BC7.jpeg

Would love to, @McCorby. I have, however found that finding Loctite products in Europe is rather hard. I need to look to Wurth products...

@McCorby: If you think I misled you towards your choice of RaceFace Ride pedals then rest assured I truly trust these pedals:
1614108592715.png

I've just bought this set for my friend's Anita new Como 5.0 :)

Hi. where did you buy them from? Do you know an online store that ships them worldwide? I could not find the green ones. thank you, mate!
(A Polish online store...)
@luka82: Where are you from? These green pedals are in Bikester. That German store is country-specific; that's why I cannot send you a link.

Last edited:
For years I rode my acoustic road bike with Shimano SPD road cleats. I found using cleats (aka 'clipless pedals') to be necessary for good power delivery while pedaling at a brisk cadence. Without cleats, your feet tend to fly off the pedals at faster cadences. Plus, you have no ability to pull up on the pedal as you round the 6 o'clock position.

I've tried platform pedals with pins recently on a MTB bike I rented to try out some trail riding. They're not bad at all, and for trail riding I would definitely prefer NOT to be 'cleated-in', just in case I have to get my foot down on the ground quickly.

But back to cleats... about 10 years ago, my knees started to bother me after riding 10 miles or so. This was annoying, to say the least. I did some research and read about Speedplay pedals. Their 'free float' design was purported to exert less stress on the knees, and as an added bonus, made the pedals especially easy to detach from. The old SPD design required that you twist your heel outward against the binding spring pressure that tries to center your foot. But the Speedplay design has no centering spring, so it's very easy to twist out of (but I've never had an unintentional release).

Rather than move to a Speedplay road pedal, I bought MTB shoes (they range the gamut from shoes that look like road-racing shoes to designs that look like robust hiking shoes) and bought compatible Speedplay Frog pedals. My knee pain went away! Plus, I much prefer the MTB design, as the cleats are smaller and located closer to the center of the sole, allowing you to walk perfectly normal... unlike road cleats that force you to waddle with the toes of your shoes an inch off the ground.

Now, some purists will say that MTB pedals don't allow you to apply force to pedals as efficiently as road SPD pedals, but I've never noticed this. I feel I pedal plenty efficiently and can spin fast when I feel like it, and my feet are positively attached to the pedals. Plus, it's very easy to detach in a flash, should the need arise.

So... check out Speedplay Frogs.

One year later.... how are your knees? I'm asking because I have knee issues from 2 surgeries over 20 years ago.

Back