pedal pins and cleats

Guys
If I can ask a question that goes along this line,
What is a good pair of shin guards that would hide under loose pants legs.
My shin can't stand any more shredding, or they'll have to be cut off below the knees.
I have a pair of shin guards that are the baseball playing and they don't work good.
Soft and flexible/hide able would be perfect..
Your thoughts and suggestions...
Tia
Could crank length make a difference?

I noticed that my legs were getting fatigued more quickly, as my Cube EXC came with 175mm cranks. All the self-help "crank length guides" were recommending between 155 and 160mm cranks.

After sizing down to 160mm pedaling on flat pavement/trail for long distances felt good again, but it also had a side-effect of cutting down shin strikes massively.

With the 175mm cranks, the CrankBrothers Stamp1 Gen2 pedals made my right shin look like it was attacked by Wolverine almost every other ride.

I was considering investing in less aggressive pedals, or possibly looking at shin guards, as it was pretty bad for the first couple of months.

Since going to 160mm, I've had one glancing blow in a dozen or more rides.

My best guess is that the proper crank length not only aids in power delivery, but puts your legs in a better position for quick reaction.

At least that's my experience.

Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro shoes and Crankbrothers Stamp 1 or 3 or 7 size Large is what I have been riding since December 2019....
"Shin and calf shredder"? People learn from their mistakes... You need to be really careless to let is happen again and again :)
I've been wearing Freerider Pros for a few years, but since putting CrankBrothers Stamp1s on my new bike, I hate those shoes. :)
(the one-piece nylon pedals with molded 'cleats' were craptacular)

The Stamp1 cleats are so aggressive that I feel the individual pressure points through the soles after just a few KMs of riding, and the combo was almost TOO sticky for minute foot adjustment.
(I haven't seen a kit to put shorter pins in the Stamp1s - if there is, I'd love to know)

I tried my plain old hiking shoes with them, and it's a much better experience.

That being said, the Freeriders win hands-down on my much shallower cleated Wellgo pedals.

Guys
As an update, the reason I need shin guards is because I took a 30/30 bullet thru the top of my right hip, during a traffic stop (retired Dep Sheriff, 36yrs), which caused quite a bit of damage, the aftermath of this gun fight was, my right leg now holds my foot at approximately a 15* to 20* angle pointed to the right.

My foot won't stay on the pedal, I have to have pins for holding the right foot on the pedal, to keep from falling off when pedaling etc.

When the foot falls off it comes into contact with the revolving pedal, aka shredded shin, aka a big mess, per my Dr, who is not happy with me, as I won't quit riding cross county trails and I don't use the throttle unless it is required.

I know about toe/foot straps, but will not use them as I have to have my feet free to help thru the rock gardens/rough areas
I ride thru etc.

So the quest for shin guards is in order, or lose the leg,
which I really appreciate that it is still attached...LOL

Pending photo.........from the last go around, I hope.
I finally got this photo to post, there is over a years damage done,
warning NOT pretty yo look at, and now I have another one on top of these older marks.
I am NOT giving up my bike riding, I have shin guards coming...

Tia,

Last edited:
Guys.., the reason I need shin guards is because

It doesn't matter why you need them, you just do.
I'm thinking maybe a little more protection than a leg kick and more like a hockey 🏒 or ice ⛸ to the leg?

Maybe something like this is more appropriate?,..

Screenshot_20240918-163611_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It'll fit under loose fit clothing, and they make a seniors size. 🧓 😂

holds my foot at approximately a 15* to 20* angle pointed to the right.

I knew a girl that was 🦆 feet both feet.
She walked like a 🦆 but didn't talk like a 🦆 so I don't know what she was? 😂

Screenshot_20240918-165510_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The Stamp1 cleats are so aggressive that I feel the individual pressure points through the soles after just a few KMs of riding, and the combo was almost TOO sticky for minute foot adjustment.
I used Stamp 1, 3 and 7 and Freeriders Pro, never experiencing the feel you described... (that is, the shoe sole ideally isolates the foot from the traction pins). Regarding the "too sticky for minute foot adjustment" it could be partly true. I sometimes raise my feet and re-adjust it for a long comfortable riding segment.

A story I love to tell again and again: Once I accidentally dropped a heavy hammer onto my bad foot, which was luckily protected by a Freerider. The foot is extremely sensitive; however, I even didn't feel any impact!

Out of curiosity, I tried Specialized 2FO shoes. Regarding the sole, it keeps the pedal even better than the old worn Freerider Pro :)

Like @PCeBiker posted, I'd try soccer shin guards.

Even brand name ones like Adidas or Nike don't run more than about $20-25 for a pair, and there's options for either just straps around the calf, or ones that also have stirrups.

If you're getting impacts that regularly, I don't know how much more durable a more expensive MTB shin pad is compared to a no-name Amazon deal.

Jenson USA has a lot of MTB specific shin guards as well (with/without stirrups, some basically leggings with pads etc).

I'd love to try pedals 5" long. I haven't found BOW Catalysts at Modern Bike or Amazon. I'm skeptical of the explanation on the website. It cites research that says hip muscles, not quads, are the most important in pedaling, and adding support 5" behind the ball of the foot is supposed to transfer the work from the calf muscles to the hip muscles. What hip muscles? If he means glutes, why not say it?

I'd love to dig up the research he cites. Pedaling wouldn't work very well without down pressure from the glutes, but I think quads and calf muscles are the big ones for energy ( force times distance ). I think the big advantage in long pedals is that you can move your foot forward 2.5 inches. To the knee, that's like moving the seat back 2.5 inches. It reduces knee flex by 6 degrees or more, allowing more mechanical advantage to glutes, quads, and maybe calfs, with less pressure on knee caps.
Totally irrelevant remark: I think a great name for a Roman general would be Gluteus Maximus. Full name would be Cayuse Gluteus Maximus. Translation: Horse's Ass.

Back