Pedal suggestions for Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH?

Nonlinear

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the stock pedals that came on my Turbo Vado 5.0. They are ok I guess, but the flat grip tape design doesn't always work the best especially in our wet Vancouver winters. Does anyone have any recommendations for pedals? I have Bontrager
Line Elite MTB Pedals on my mountain bike commuter conversion, and they are great, but the pins are a bit aggressive for regular shoes. Thanks!

I’ve got Crankbrothers Stamp flat 3 in large and they’ve been great. And some Five Ten shoes to with them. My feet never slip off the pedals!

but the pins are a bit aggressive for regular shoes.
The steel traction pins are the life saver in the wet or otherwise slippery conditions. Any good flat pedals (such as Crankbrothers Stamp Large mentioned by @CLR) will have traction pins. The right way is to buy the proper shoes, such as Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro that are made to be used together with traction pin pedals.

If you need something less aggressive, consider Race Face "Ride" pedals. These are made of a composite material, and have moulded traction areas (not pins) that are easy on regular shoes. I cannot, however, promise as a good traction as would be assured by your traction pin pedals used together with proper cycling shoes.

Last edited:
The steel traction pins are the life saver in the wet or otherwise slippery conditions. Any good flat pedals (such as Crankbrothers Stamp Large mentioned by @CLR) will have traction pins. The right way is to buy the proper shoes, such as Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro that are made to be used together with traction pin pedals.

If you need something less aggressive, consider Race Face "Ride" pedals. These are made of a composite material, and have moulded traction areas (not pins) that are easy on regular shoes. I cannot, however, promise as a good traction as would be assured by your traction pin pedals used together with proper cycling shoes.
Ok, thank you very much!

My Moustache Xroad 5 came with metal pedals with moulded flat pins similar to Race Face Rides. Excellent trekking bike pedal that doesn't bite me in shins like may MTB flats and work well with trainers. Wanted same pedals to replace crap plastic ones on wife's bike but Moustache dealer was of no use. Think I ended up fitting Rides to her bike in end.

I ride mostly roads, light to moderate trails, and beaches on my hybrid hub-drive. Love the $35 ROCKBROS wide alloy pedals I reported on here.

By "wide", they really mean elongated fore and aft. Not as elongated as Catalysts, but enough to make the mid-foot pedaling concept shine.

I'm a believer now and plan to try the $150 Catalysts some day when I can sneak them past the wife.

Hey all, I installed the Crank Brothers Stamp 3 yesterday. I also have a couple pairs of the Five Tens and the pins are great, but may be slightly too aggressive for my urban commute. It looks like I can screw the pins in farther to reduce their height. However, when I tried that, they were very firm/tight, to the point that my (super cheap and crappy) hex key bent a bit when trying to do it.

Can anyone confirm if I can indeed simply screw these pins in to reduce their height? Also, any recommendations on a proper tool that won't bend while I'm doing it? thanks!

I do not think the pin height is adjustable. Stamp pins are replaceable but not adjustable. You reinstall them from below with a 2.5 mm hex key but the height is not something you can adjust. Besides, I cannot understand your worries: I have ridden several different version of Stamps (1, 3, 7) in FiveTens or winter boots and never found the pins "too aggressive" - of course you are not very much happy if you wear regular trainers :) The pins just hold your shoe as good as clipless pedals/cleated shoes.

Replacing pedals with another brand/model is almost as easy as replacing shoes on your feet. Why not to swap pedals between different ride types?

Thanks, Stefan! The pins aren't too aggressive for the feet, it's mainly when brushing things against it (such as pant legs etc.). But no worries!
My aftermarket pedals also have aggressive spikes. Shins and calves looked like a war zone at first, but now my legs keep their distance all on their own.

Still no visible damage to my cheap Skechers shoes many miles later.

The pins with a pair of Vans skate board shoes are a less aggressive combo. I have five tens and vans. If I am just doing a short (under 10 miles) ride I'll wear the vans.

Back