Turbo Vado 5.0: IGH or chain?

1,000 % agreed. It's a shame though. Maybe in the next few years it could be perfected. Maybe. But given the track record of Specialized sloooooooow response for things, who know, maybe when I'm dead :(
The problem with the bike industry is it is possible the underlying problem is on enviolo's end. Specialized has zero control over that. It is still possible many of these problems that people have seen are fixable via maintenance that most LBS simply don't know to do/check.

I am back to researching e-bikes. I have finally ruled out a "normal" bike. You ever resolve your smart control stuff?

The problem with the bike industry is it is possible the underlying problem is on enviolo's end. Specialized has zero control over that. It is still possible many of these problems that people have seen are fixable via maintenance that most LBS simply don't know to do/check.

I am back to researching e-bikes. I have finally ruled out a "normal" bike. You ever resolve your smart control stuff?
Yes. Out of the blue, I checked evey day if 'Smart (Dumb) Control was operational, and BINGO! Last Saturday it worked! No major announcement or notification from anyone however, just my experience, which I had posted here.
AND....quite frankly, I got up for early 2 days now at 4-5 AM to 'beat the heat' and do a 20-25 mile ride early, and what a pleasure to have Smart Control back, it's like I got my "MoJo" back, and for those who done know, care, or ever experienced the use of Smart Control, try it. It's the best thing ever. That's my opinion anyway.

Yes. Out of the blue, I checked evey day if 'Smart (Dumb) Control was operational, and BINGO! Last Saturday it worked! No major announcement or notification from anyone however, just my experience, which I had posted here.
AND....quite frankly, I got up for early 2 days now at 4-5 AM to 'beat the heat' and do a 20-25 mile ride early, and what a pleasure to have Smart Control back, it's like I got my "MoJo" back, and for those who done know, care, or ever experienced the use of Smart Control, try it. It's the best thing ever. That's my opinion anyway.
I wish I had on the IGH. That bike getting even easier to ride would be mind blowing.

I never use Smart Control, I prefer to have full manual control during my ride. Maybe I should try it one day.

Last edited:
Ok, I called Specialized rider care. They told me that some Enviolo settings are overridden by Specialized, but cadence is not one of them. As @Tim C suggested, changing Start From Stop in the Enviolo app is not overridden. Hooray!
Hi, you can adjust the rpm via the Enviolo app, but every time the bike is started, the rpm is overwritten by the set value of the bike software, I have already been in contact with Specialized and they would investigate whether it is good is for the motor to adjust those values e.g. a lower rpm (50) etc

Hi, you can adjust the rpm via the Enviolo app, but every time the bike is started, the rpm is overwritten by the set value of the bike software, I have already been in contact with Specialized and they would investigate whether it is good is for the motor to adjust those values e.g. a lower rpm (50) etc
If you hear anything more - let us know as having a lower RPM is useful in some situations

Just got back from the LBS. I test-rode a Vado 4.0 (chain) and a Vado 5.0 IGH.At first, I didn't like the IGH. When I first started pedaling, the cadence would be super fast/RPMs were high, but I wasn't moving much. It seemed like the system needed a few moments to react. The same thing would happen after decelerating and then accelerating again.I took it back to the shop, thinking, "this isn't for me." Got on the Vado 4.0 non-IGH—and was irritated that I had to change gears! I rode it around for a bit, and while it didn't have the delay issue, I found myself missing the IGH.So, I tried the IGH again. This time, I played around with the cadence settings a lot more. I found that the "high cadence from start" issue was better when I set the cadence to "slow", "slower", or "slowest", and/or if I started in Eco mode rather than Sport or Turbo.
I prefer the slowest cadence possible. Then I have to reduce the power some or the battery drains relatively fast.
In high scool I composed a song:

I'm a 10th gear rider, Baby....I'm gunna ride all over you.
I'm a 10th gear rider, Baby....I'm gunna ride all over you.
I do my crusin in 10th gear, most of my reguar ridin...too.

Back