The ultimate pedal and shoes discussion

We all talk about the platform itself when discussing pedals, but no-one ever seems to talk about the bearings. I've had stock pedals that when you try to spin them on their axle, they go about half a turn and stop. Some even feel crunchy.

I still have Speedplay Frogs on my analog bike, and grease them up every now and then. But, most of the flat pedals we use on eBikes don't seem to have any real way to service them. I have Chesters and they're big enough and slightly concave and the pins are adjustable, but the bearings seem just "OK" to me.

Any good platform pedals with good bearings? I don't need ceramic or anything, but I would like them to rotate a dozen times or so on a push. My front wheel, for instance, spins for minutes on the slightest of pushes, and even rotates back the other way since the stem makes the wheel not perfectly balanced.

The Stamps are REALLY grippy...
I agree with you Dan. Now I ride my bikes in Adidas FiveTen shoes, soles of which are very grippy at proper temperatures (not in the Winter, though). Combined with the Stamps, the 510s behave as if they were clipped to the pedals and actually you need to rise your feet to disengage them from the pedals!

I've had stock pedals that when you try to spin them on their axle, they go about half a turn and stop.
All the pedals I own including the most expensive ones behave the same way. Some of them may have machine bearings.

For many years I rode clipped in. For many years I swore by Shimano SPDs. No more. I love the new style MTB platform pedals. The Stamp 1 is great. My feet stay in place, and I can wear street shoes.

For many years I rode clipped in. For many years I swore by Shimano SPDs. No more. I love the new style MTB platform pedals. The Stamp 1 is great. My feet stay in place, and I can wear street shoes.
I completely agree with you Katy. Though, I own a pair of nice Shimano SPD-MTB shoes (that will be perfect for my Summer rides as these are very well ventillated) and matching clipless pedals. I don't want them go to waste :)

Besides, what I had ordered was...
1588232181950.png

The pedals I ordered looked to be red. I'm however a little bit freaky on these days and didn't notice how the actual colour differed from the delivery...

Any good platform pedals with good bearings? I don't need ceramic or anything, but I would like them to rotate a dozen times or so on a push. My front wheel, for instance, spins for minutes on the slightest of pushes, and even rotates back the other way since the stem makes the wheel not perfectly balanced.

Most quality mtb pedals will have dual sealed bearings, but the better ones have drag from seals - As an example, I put a set of oneupcomponents on sprogette 2's bike, at first I wondered why they only rotated 3 times to a light touch. A light spray of ptfe on these seals allowed they to spin easily - beats getting dirt / moisture in!

I need a picture of your feet after you have made a metric century in such shoes Thomas 🤣

I do enjoy warm weather cycling in sandals as well. Almost time!

I prefer closed toed sandals like the Keen brand. Not as much air flow, but no chance of slipping off a flat pedal and grinding my toe nails off. OK, I don't know anyone that's had an issue with this, but still...

I ride clipless pedals on our mechs which we use for mostly longer out of the area rides. Our ebikes have the Shimano two sided pedals; flat on one, clipless on the other. I'll run errands and such with the flats, switching to clipless for longer rides.

One issue I have is finding cycling shoes wide enough to fit. I wear a size 10 in 5E-6E width. I can get regular shoes without too much of a problem, but cycling shoes, not so much. Keen once offered cycling shoes that amazingly were just wide enough. Being leather, they have become a better fit over time, but they are showing their age. Unfortunately, Keen no longer makes cycling shoes. Anyone have any experience with extra wide cycling shoes?

True, but they last forever, are supportive, and look great. I have a black and brown pair and I wear them every day. I've walked over 20 miles in one day in them, and I bike with them sometimes too! $70/pair and wearing them every day they last at least 2 years. That's value to me...

I do get that! My working and dress boots were made by Whites Boots in Spokane. more than 30 years and several rebuilds later. SMokejumper donated to a firefighter friend I still have two Semi Dress. I'm a shoe whore.
The Original Smokejumper
$539.95

SEMI-DRESS
$539.95
Look who's talking about $$$$! Never heard of them, those look like some seriously high quality boots. I'm a sucker for anything particularly well made. Now I want a pair, gee thanks! :rolleyes:

Look who's talking about $$$$! Never heard of them, those look like some seriously high quality boots. I'm a sucker for anything particularly well made. Now I want a pair, gee thanks! :rolleyes:
Very common among tree workers, firefighters, and Helitac crews. I bought my first pair as a chase truck driver, Sawtooth Helitac. I had a dress pair in black that I wore with my tux.

Back