Do I need cycling shoes?

View attachment 131694

The shoes fit 😁!

A bit stiff for walking, as expected, but workable, I think. Will try them on a ride later today or tomorrow... It will sure be great if foot issues are resolved with just an ugly pair of $25 (final clearance) shoes 🤞🤞🤞!
Worth a try 😀. And if you like them, you can get the nicer looking versions, like I did, LOL.

Rode over 27 miles yesterday with the new Alp X Flow cycling shoes, and my feet felt fine! Stopped several times to walk around, and that was doable, too.

I have my plantar fasciitis orthotics in for extra arch support so the toe box is just a smidge snug (with medium weight socks) (yes, I ordered up), and the soles are not quite as grippy as my walking shoes so slipped around a bit in the pedals.

If I can work out the pedal slippage, I'll take them to the shoe guy in town to see if he can do a tiny bit of stretching. Worst case, I've spent $25 on diagnostics, know shoes will take care of the issue, and can upgrade if needed 😁.

Thanks for all your help - problem solved!

Last edited:
Rode over 27 miles yesterday with the new Alp X Flow cycling shoes, and my feet felt fine! Stopped several times to walk around, and that was doable, too.

I have my plantar fasciitis orthotics in for extra arch support so the toe box is just a smidge snug (with medium weight socks) (yes, I ordered up), and the soles are not quite as grippy as my walking shoes so slipped around a bit in the pedals.

If I can work out the pedal slippage, I'll take them to the shoe guy in town to see if he can do a tiny bit of stretching. Worst case, I've spent $25 on diagnostics, know shoes will take care of the issue, and can upgrade if needed 😁.

Thanks for all your help - problem solved!
Glad to hear it worked out :) All my flat pedals have the spikes, that definitely help with grip. And btw, the orange color helps with visibility to cars which is never a bad idea.

I apologize for reposting but...

Mechanix gloves are superior in protection and reasonably prices. Ask any veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Touch screen index fingers too. $17 on sale version shipped. Just grabbed another pair.

6E220B64-B6F4-4832-AA7F-9639822A38F3.png

I ride a gravel and a road bike, i must say i prefer the gravel/mtb shoe with Time Atac pedals when i need to walk. Road cleats makes it impossible to jump off the bike to walk. Let's say you stop to explore the surroundings, i am doomed with my road bike shoes. Anyone else been pondering this?
The solution is to use a shoe with a recessed cleat, that has soles stiff enough to live with on the bike but not so stiff there's a problem walking. Since I posted in this thread in 2022 I built another bike and put the Funn Rippers on again. Lets me cleat in and get the benefit of consistent placement/engagement, and I can get off the bike and walk around quite a bit on the Giro Rumbles, which I have also bought a second pair of.

Either that or you go completely off the reservaion and to Catalyst pedals, a mid-foot position and freerider shoes.

I have a set of Sidi Genius shoes from back in my road bike days and I may as well put them in a museum case. You just can't ever walk in a shoe like that even if you put on cleat covers. The only middle ground is use walkable cycling shoes with recessed cleats.

I ride a gravel and a road bike, i must say i prefer the gravel/mtb shoe with Time Atac pedals when i need to walk. Road cleats makes it impossible to jump off the bike to walk. Let's say you stop to explore the surroundings, i am doomed with my road bike shoes. Anyone else been pondering this?
Since I ride a single speed analog track-based bike, and a single speed e-bike, I really MUST use cleatless bike shoes (really like my Pearl Izumi mtn bike shoes). I have needed to stop and walk up 15-20% grades during gran fondo metric or imperial centuries. And stopping and enjoying the surroundings or socializing is just so much more enjoyable!

@Tom@WashDC. What brand is your Shoes to make you pedal your ebike fast?
I made a slight course correction miscalculation and hit my foot on a metal sign post this year. It hurt a lot. I was wearing Merrill Moab low profile hiking shoes, with a rubber tip and it saved my toe. After that, I purchased Merrill Moab Flight with Carbon Fiber safety toe. It can withstand up to 2,000lbs of crushing force.
MRLM-J004625-072821-F22-000.jpg

Last edited:
I made a slight course correction miscalculation and hit my foot on a metal sign post this year. It hurt a lot. I was wearing Merrill Moab low profile hiking shoes, with a rubber tip and it saved my toe. After that, I purchased Merrill Moab Flight with Carbon Fiber safety toe. It can withstand up to 2,000lbs of crushing force.
View attachment 156369
I once incidentally dropped a 4 lb hammer onto my toes protected by an Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro shoe... :D As if nothing happened!

Pearl Izumi are expensive. I wear Adidas.
When I got in ebiking I watched the English guy on EMBN. He had Adidas Shoes when testing new Emtbs.
I'm Adidas fan now for footwear. @Tom@WashDC. What brand is your Shoes to make you pedal your ebike fast?
Got my Pearl Izumi on sale for $50 :) Always glad to buy last years model.

Whenever I put a regular trainers on a ride, I regret it soon. Five Ten Freerider Pro are a must for me for any longer trip.
I do not want to advertise specific pedals now but I am fond of CrankBrothers Stamp 1 Large the most (my feet are large; and I really need multiple feet position for my long trips).

The energy transfer and riding experience with this combination are improbably good. The shoe holds on the traction pins as it were clipless pedals/shoes! To remove a foot from the pedal you actually need to lift your foot a little! The impression is as if the shoes were glued to the pedals!

There is an interesting pedalling technique (for the cycling shoe/platform pedal) explained to me by some lady here in the EBR forum. A "clipless" cyclist typically operates with their legs up and down. With the combination I'm talking about, the cyclist should pretend to be sliding their feet forward & backwards. This technique gives enormous result on acceleration. With an e-bike you never need to stand on the pedals to accelerate. Sliding feet forward/backwards makes your e-bike accelerate very fast, especially when you start in lower gears.

I often demonstrate the acceleration capabilities of both Vado and Vado SL to my group cycling mates of both sexes. Far in the trip, when bored but still with the battery juice left, I say to my buddies: 'The importance of cadence is often underestimated by cyclists... See what I'm doing...' At this On Cloud Shoes Sock Advice, I dramatically downshift... then apply the "feet sliding" technique. My e-bike shots forward leaving the group in the dust! I gradually upshift and ride even faster! It often ends up in a road race with my mates! :)

After having slowed down I continue: 'And I promise to you I did not increase the e-bike assistance!' :)

Just fancy their face expression if we are talking the low power Vado SL! :D
So....I got thinking about this today and searched for and found this thread which was very good reading. I think I'm going to try a cheap pair of shoes as recommended earler and see how that goes. I'm not a power biker - hell I'm hardly a biker. I ride for fitness with my longest rides being about an hour at about 14 mph but what' I've noticed is that I'm starting to poke my big toe through the court shoes I've been using for biking. My thinking is that bike shoes might be a bit tougher in that area!

My favorite bike shoes are SAS. They have a stiff sole, stiff leather, and actual arch supports from the factory. They come in widths to actually fit my foot instead of being like boats on my feet. Medium width shoes rotate and I walk on the outer last (side) after the heel wears out. SAS shoes are not cheap, and are sold where doctors & nurses can buy them. I might blow a tire or fracture a rim and have to walk 14 miles to the bus stop again.

Last edited:
My MTB shoes do give more support and grip plus a lot are splash proof which I find useful when commuting in light rain. Will also give more protection in crash.

Back