Do I need cycling shoes?

I don't think I understand why people push with the balls of the feet.
It is more efficient. However, using large platform pedals with proper shoes lets the rider pedal with different part of feet.

1659413488206.png

See how differently the Pros look compared to regular Freeriders. I cannot say anything on the regular variety as I have never owned that. For me, the protection of toes is vital (as my feet are very sensitive because of ailment). Once I accidentally dropped a heavy hammer onto my left foot protected by a Pro shoe. No sensation whatsoever! (Now I wear the Pros in black).

@fooferdoggie: I wonder whether the sole of Pros and Regulars could be different?

1659414092298.png

CrankBrothers Stamp pedals. The best of them all (for me).

1659414210362.png

Race Face Chester. I use them on Vado SL but am not that happy. Too sharp/long traction pins, too small pedals (for me).

Last edited:
I found them to have better grip then sneakers and breath better than most other shoes for all day comfort. They do have an anti slip resistant sole.
I forward push hard at times and really don't have any issues.
Jeez sorry. I’ve been responding on my iPhone se 2 little keyboard with a right index finger that was sewed back on without tenders being reattached 60 years ago many typos are letters on key over do too fubar ginger.mothers are I just don’t care. I created perfect mrmos when earning 6 figures. I only get laughs here.

No it's not always about price, Paying more doesn't mean it's better.

But it is ALWAYS about good judgement.

I have had my $39 target specials for over 10 years and guess what...they are still super comfortable and look great.
Just because someone charges 4 times what someone else offers, doesn't mean it a better product.

I don't think I understand why people push with the balls of the feet. For as long as I can remember, I've placed my arches over the pedals.
One answer,

The ball of the foot gives a large, strong, stable area to use on the pedal, and gives you a nice lever to use your muscles effectively. Conversely, the arch of your foot is soft, elastic and not stable.

Picture your foot as you walk slowly barefoot, you push down hard on the ground with the ball of your foot, and the arch acts as a big rubber band to help spring the heel up and launch you forwards. You can walk or run solely (ahem) on the balls of your feet, without using your heel, thanks to this elasticity.

One answer,

The ball of the foot gives a large, strong, stable area to use on the pedal, and gives you a nice lever to use your muscles effectively. Conversely, the arch of your foot is soft, elastic and not stable.

Picture your foot as you walk slowly barefoot, you push down hard on the ground with the ball of your foot, and the arch acts as a big rubber band to help spring the heel up and launch you forwards. You can walk or run solely (ahem) on the balls of your feet, without using your heel, thanks to this elasticity.
That's a good answer.
However, cycling shoes with a stiff sole allow the rider to change the foot position on the pedal, making it possible to pedal with the arch, too. Especially if the platform pedal is large.

That's a good answer.
However, cycling shoes with a stiff sole allow the rider to change the foot position on the pedal, making it possible to pedal with the arch, too. Especially if the platform pedal is large.
You can’t change human bodies natural functionality with a shoe. Physical science isn’t opinion. In my opinion. Almost true...

;)

You can’t change human bodies natural functionality with a shoe. Physical science isn’t opinion. In my opinion. Almost true...

;)
A stiff sole shoe helps transfer the power from the foot evenly onto the pedal disregarding what part of the foot is used. For example, I suffer from inadequate blood supply to my feet. I need to change the feet position from time to time even to lose some pedalling efficiency.

You wouldn't believe what people are doing to feel comfortable on a bike. For instance, there are so many people riding their bikes with dramatically low saddle height. It looks as if they almost were hitting their jaw with their knees! The reason being, such people are hysterically afraid of getting on and off the saddle; their feet need to be planted flat on the ground when stationary. The low saddle position makes pedalling totally inefficient. However, you cannot convince such people they could be raising their saddle, say, 1 cm per each next ride...

Most of the reason I push mostly with the ball area of my foot is the unfortunate geometry of my La Free, which causes the front of my foot to hit the back of the front fender on sharper turns unless I do that. I'd be hitting it much more often if I were trying to pedal with my foot centered.

My pedaling foot position is probably contributing to my foot pain, now that I'm riding further and more often.

A stiff sole shoe helps transfer the power from the foot evenly onto the pedal disregarding what part of the foot is used. For example, I suffer from inadequate blood supply to my feet. I need to change the feet position from time to time even to lose some pedalling efficiency.

You wouldn't believe what people are doing to feel comfortable on a bike. For instance, there are so many people riding their bikes with dramatically low saddle height. It looks as if they almost were hitting their jaw with their knees! The reason being, such people are hysterically afraid of getting on and off the saddle; their feet need to be planted flat on the ground when stationary. The low saddle position makes pedalling totally inefficient. However, you cannot convince such people they could be raising their saddle, say, 1 cm per each next ride...
Jeez Stefan not everyone can meet your standard. Jumping off and on would completely destroy my back. AND those semi recumbant flat foot frames are fantastic for us old fellas re entering bike riding where upright traditional geometry is a painful nightmare. Good on you my friend for becoming agile and a great distance rider, but without Townie style crank forwards id never been able to ride again. Many are happy just leaving the cage parked and doing a simple few miles a day. Good for them, good for the planet.

BTW the flat foot frames properly setup have the same knee extensio you have. Just a different angle of the dangle.

BTW the flat foot frames properly setup have the same knee extensio you have. Just a different angle of the dangle.
Of course!
I'm talking about relatively young and healthy people riding, say, a Cross Country bike with their knees up...

This thread is quickly becoming a 5/10 love fest. No doubt they are fine shoes judging by the number of members who rave about them but I personally find laces too much of a hassle and much prefer either a speed lacing or BOA retention system for quick and easy shoe fit and removal. I’ve worn laced shoes when mtb’ing and the laces always manage to come loose during rides. I now wear shoes that have a shield that folds over the toggle style speed lace which also provides weatherproof protection.

shimano-gr9-shoes-270118-ajbarlas-3798.original.jpg

For road rides, I wear clipless SPD shoes and realize that they’re not everyone’s cup o tea but encourage anyone who is curious enough to give them a try....with the exception of Stefan of course. ;)

with the exception of Stefan of course. ;)
It cost me too much pain to try both varieties (road and MTB) :) Each element making a ride potentially unsafe is a vice! :)

I’ve worn laced shoes when mtb’ing and the laces always manage to come loose during rides
Did you know majority of people tied their laces the wrong way? (I was well over 50 when I realized I was doing it wrong for the most of my life!) :D

As I've extended my rides to the 20+ heading to 30 mile range, and have been riding more often training for my Italy ride in October, I'm noticing some foot pain and stiffness. All my life, I've ridden in sneakers, or regular walking shoes. Actually, my walking shoes have prescription orthotics in then that stiffen them a bit, but I'm wondering if I need something even stiffer.

They'd need to be something I could walk to my wine and food tastings in enroute - no clips or cleats. I don't want to be attached to my pedals. I just want something that's going to help prevent plantar fasciitis flare-ups and arthritis pain.

Are some sort of casual cycling shoes the answer?
Absolutely! At least for me, rides over 20-30 miles in sneakers made my feet sore. Now, with mtb/casual bike shoes with proper soles, no problem with foot soreness even for 60+ mile rides. I like these:

Absolutely! At least for me, rides over 20-30 miles in sneakers made my feet sore. Now, with mtb/casual bike shoes with proper soles, no problem with foot soreness even for 60+ mile rides. I like these:

Those shoes are on final clearance at $25 on the US site.
Same shoe, on final clearance on Canadian site is $110.

Hmmm... gouging seems to be the name of the game.
Nice looking shoe however...

Back