Do I need a PHD to change a tire, or just a little advice?

I had similar problem with the bonty tyres that came on my allant+ 8. Like otehr shere, I got it off by putting rim down flat (on padded ground) and standing on tyre either side. It came off eventually. Couldnt believe how hard it was, gfirts time I'd had a problem removing a tyre in 50 years.

My tube did not have a flat from an object, but it was worn from rubbing/scuffing against the rim. I replaced both tires and noticed that the tube on the front ( or tire holding air) was worn in a few spots from rubbing against the rim and would have had a hole in the near future. I will try baby powder on the tube and replacing the rim tape with a better quality product.

Sorry to respond to this older thread, but I finally had to fix my first flat with the Allant+ 7s and ran into this same problem. I've fixed hundreds of flats in my life and never had so much trouble with getting a tire off the rim as I did with this one.

Once I figured out that the source of the problem was the wire bead stuck on the rim all the way around the wheel, the solution was quite simple. I simply pushed the wire bead toward the center of the rim around the whole wheel before trying to get my tire levers under the wire bead. Once it was completely unstuck from the edge of the rim the job was as simple as it usually is and the tire came right off.

Thanks to this thread for pointing this out to me!

My second rear flat on my Allant+7 but my first attempt to remove/repair. My rear SCHWALBE G-One has 1100 miles and went flat this afternoon after about 10 miles. Decided it was time for me to fix since it’s been a couple of decades since I fixed one. Had a bear of a time getting the tire bead loose but used the rubber cushioned grips to leverage the bead loose.
Found a very tiny hole in the tube from a tiny glass shard that went right through one of the Schwalbe’s nubs. I used the Park Tool patch kit and will report back on how it worked. But before I do that...
Question...do you folks think I should use this tire again? I can still see what looks like a few little glimmers of glass in the tire cut.

Attachments

• 976B2A91-88AC-4984-8B7F-270EEA07034B.jpeg
    976B2A91-88AC-4984-8B7F-270EEA07034B.jpeg
    714.9 KB · Views: 237
  • F84B9668-77A8-42F0-B730-56A6D3EB32C8.jpeg
    F84B9668-77A8-42F0-B730-56A6D3EB32C8.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 063151C6-EBB6-4B38-8388-D62E8F392F54.jpeg
    063151C6-EBB6-4B38-8388-D62E8F392F54.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 493F1CAB-A9E4-4295-9D3C-0CF6A029464C.jpeg
    493F1CAB-A9E4-4295-9D3C-0CF6A029464C.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 25F344C7-0AE8-417E-A57F-DCA6A2902B5A.jpeg
    25F344C7-0AE8-417E-A57F-DCA6A2902B5A.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 8848F04C-50B3-4768-B26E-54E10CCDA4A6.jpeg
    8848F04C-50B3-4768-B26E-54E10CCDA4A6.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
So I took the tire & repaired tube to my LBS just to get a second opinion and he was sure it all looked fine. Threw it back together and put 11+ miles on it yesterday. Would’ve gone farther but still waiting for a complete melt!

Attachments

• B9795EDA-2B12-44AF-AA39-8A0A1A7B444E.jpeg
    B9795EDA-2B12-44AF-AA39-8A0A1A7B444E.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 211
I recently talked to a Trek bike mechanic and mentioned how hard it was to get the tire off. I explained that I bought some motorcycle tire levers and used a clamp to push the tire off of the bead. He said they use a Park tire seating tool, but the clamp idea will work. He did mention that it was hard to remove the tire and they also use the heavier duty tire levers as needed.
1615728226138.png

Just suffered through this myself on 27.5" rims with MAXXIS Chronicle folding bead tire in the 3.0" width. The bead seemed glued on to the rim. I have all sorts of clamps, from vice-grips to C-clamps to Jorgenson wooden clamps. Finally decided to cut the tire off. What a pain! I'll order the Park tool, but I'm not sure that's really going to help.

Just suffered through this myself on 27.5" rims with MAXXIS Chronicle folding bead tire in the 3.0" width. The bead seemed glued on to the rim. I have all sorts of clamps, from vice-grips to C-clamps to Jorgenson wooden clamps. Finally decided to cut the tire off. What a pain! I'll order the Park tool, but I'm not sure that's really going to help.
Just my imagination speaking -- putting the wheel in a tub of warm water might have helped. Using a heat gun or hair diryer might have helped. I suspect the next time may be a lot easier.

TT

Just my imagination speaking -- putting the wheel in a tub of warm water might have helped. Using a heat gun or hair diryer might have helped. I suspect the next time may be a lot easier.

TT
Yeah, thought about the hair dryer thing...next time I guess.

Yeah, thought about the hair dryer thing...next time I guess.
usually once you get the tire on to gets easier. s0me of the marathon tires were a marathon to get on and off. I found this great tool in the UK but Broke one after a few uses but it sure worked well.

usually once you get the tire on to gets easier. s0me of the marathon tires were a marathon to get on and off. I found this great tool in the UK but Broke one after a few uses but it sure worked well.
My problem was removing the tire, not installing. The beads stuck to the rims, and clamps wouldn't unseat them. Once I cut the bead, the tire came off easily, so nothing was actually "glued", just a super tight fit. Rims were setup for tubeless and that may be the problem.

My problem was removing the tire, not installing. The beads stuck to the rims, and clamps wouldn't unseat them. Once I cut the bead, the tire came off easily, so nothing was actually "glued", just a super tight fit. Rims were setup for tubeless and that may be the problem.
I saw someone with a good idea but cant remember the details. Laying the tire on the grass and using your feet on a large section of the tire to loosing the be a. you need to do larger areas to get it going. yes a tubeless rim is taller an can have the hook.

I saw someone with a good idea but cant remember the details. Laying the tire on the grass and using your feet on a large section of the tire to loosing the be a. you need to do larger areas to get it going. yes a tubeless rim is taller an can have the hook.
That could have been me but I used the technique instead to install studded tires onto dedicated winter wheels. It definitely works along with help from the Cushcore bead dropper. I guess one could always try and adopt the same principle when unseating beads using your body weight.

Back